Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if Perfetti sees himself as a guy who wants to be paid like his first half performance from last year whereas Chevy wants to know for sure that he can maintain or improve it long term

The interesting thing about our aversion to adding youth to the lineup is that there isn't anyone who is really due for a big contract/raise. Perfetti is the only one.. so if I were chevy, I'd get it done

It may also build some goodwill after how he was treated last season
Not sure it is in Perfetti’s best interest to sign long term at this especially if it is something in the Lundell range. He will likely get $3 - 3.5 for 2 years anyways so why go long term on $5 M? I also think Chevy will want to keep some cap flexibility until Ehlers and Rutger are figured out.

Reactions: surixon

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Pinto has also shown himself to be an up and coming decent 2-way center at the NHL level. Perfetti so far has not. If anything Perfetti should come in cheaper.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Pinto has also shown himself to be an up and coming decent 2-way center at the NHL level. Perfetti so far has not. If anything Perfetti should come in cheaper.
Analytics sites all have Cole coming in slightly higher than Pinto on a 2 year deal. He has scored more in less time on ice and his underlying stats are better than Pinto’s (Corsi, Fenwick etc). No way Cole takes less than Pinto .

Pinto had 8 goals in 700 plus minutes of ice last year and Cole had 19 goals in 900+ minutes of ice.

3,75-4m on a two year is the number I think.

Pinto also got $5m in second year so his QO is based on that coming out of this deal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Analytics sites all have Cole coming in slightly higher than Pinto on a 2 year deal. He has scored more in less time on ice and his underlying stats are better than Pinto’s (Corsi, Fenwick etc). No way Cole takes less than Pinto .

Pinto had 8 goals in 700 plus minutes of ice last year and Cole had 19 goals in 900+ minutes of ice.

3,75-4m on a two year is the number I think.

Pinto also got $5m in second year so his QO is based on that coming out of this deal.
Evolving hockey has Perfetti at 2 years with a $3,036,000 AAV.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy is not likely to overpay, just because another team did. I think he offers something to Perfetti around $3.5 M X 2 which would be on the higher side of where the numbers say he should be.

True, but his agent likely won't leave money on the table either especially due to Cole missing out on his goal bonus by a single goal in large part due to sitting in the PB. They won't do Chevy any favors here. This will be a very interesting negotiation.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
True, but his agent likely won't leave money on the table either especially due to Cole missing out on his goal bonus by a single goal in large part due to sitting in the PB. They won't do Chevy any favors here. This will be a very interesting negotiation.
Agree with this, for the reasons you mention, among others. As opposed to Pinto and Rutger, Cole has been a blemish-free young player and the Jets need to start showing good faith in him, and his potential. I think he gets close to 4M on a bridge deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree with this, for the reasons you mention, among others. As opposed to Pinto and Rutger, Cole has been a blemish-free young player and the Jets need to start showing good faith in him, and his potential. I think he gets close to 4M on a bridge deal.

Well said. I also think the org might need to rebuild its image with younger players around the league. Do they really want to play hardball right now given the McGroarty situation. They really need to start doing what they can to ensure young players feel valued here because as FA showed us we aren't getting top talent that way and likely lossing a good chunk of it when players are eligible.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

They should compensate him for the missed goal bonus anyways which he only missed due to shitty lineup/deployment moves by Bowness.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Well said. I also think the org might need to rebuild its image with younger players around the league. Do they really want to play hardball right now given the McGroarty situation. They really need to start doing what they can to ensure young players feel valued here because as FA showed us we aren't getting top talent that way and likely lossing a good chunk of it when players are eligible.
Agree, and would say the analogy is as much to good parenting as it is hardball/softball. You reward good behaviour and clamp down on the kid who's developing an exaggerated sense of his own self importance. It's good in the long term for everyone, especially knowing all the other kids are watching.

Reactions: surixon

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Just straight up ignoring he went goalless for 23 gp
Just a few similarly aged players below who also experienced prolonged droughts this year but didn't get benched or reduced ice time or demoted to the 4th line where it is impossible to produce. All on good teams vying for the playoffs. Their coaches continued to play them and work with them to develop them. So no not ignoring the drought for Cole, it happened but that shouldn't define the whole season or his future impact.

Lundell (78gp-13g-22a-35tp) - Opened the season scoring 2 goals in his first 40 games from October 12th to January 17th

Byfield (80gp-20g-35a-55tp) finished the year - 2 goals in his last 29 games Feb 22nd to April 15 - and had zero goals in 5 playoff games

Beniers (77gp-15g-22a-37tp)- Opened the season with 1 goal in his first 17 games - October 10th to November 15th. He also went 1 goal in 16 game stretch from Nov 30th to January 4th.

Mercer - (82gp-20g-13a-33tp) - Finished season with 1 goal in his last 13 games. Started season with zero goals in his first 10 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure it is in Perfetti’s best interest to sign long term at this especially if it is something in the Lundell range. He will likely get $3 - 3.5 for 2 years anyways so why go long term on $5 M? I also think Chevy will want to keep some cap flexibility until Ehlers and Rutger are figured out.

Agreed. I imagine Cole feels he has much more to show before he signs long term. He'll take his bridge and build a better resume.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I don’t think that will be on the table. But yes he probably would.
I bet that is the over/under number exactly on a long term deal. Less and he would want to bridge and build that resume, more and it would be impossible to say no to that kind of security. I bet he would say yes to 6.5 but it would be a very tough decision. He seems like a kid that would be willing to bet on himself and believes he can be a star but also smart and pragmatic enough to know when it would be too good to pass up.

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Would be great to get him signed to a long term deal. Even at 6.5 that's only 7% of the cap once it gets up to 92 mil in 2 years. Chevy needs to make these kind of bets to keep the team in a good cap situation.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just a few similarly aged players below who also experienced prolonged droughts this year but didn't get benched or reduced ice time or demoted to the 4th line where it is impossible to produce. All on good teams vying for the playoffs. Their coaches continued to play them and work with them to develop them. So no not ignoring the drought for Cole, it happened but that shouldn't define the whole season or his future impact.

Lundell (78gp-13g-22a-35tp) - Opened the season scoring 2 goals in his first 40 games from October 12th to January 17th

Byfield (80gp-20g-35a-55tp) finished the year - 2 goals in his last 29 games Feb 22nd to April 15 - and had zero goals in 5 playoff games

Beniers (77gp-15g-22a-37tp)- Opened the season with 1 goal in his first 17 games - October 10th to November 15th. He also went 1 goal in 16 game stretch from Nov 30th to January 4th.

Mercer - (82gp-20g-13a-33tp) - Finished season with 1 goal in his last 13 games. Started season with zero goals in his first 10 games.

Good post.

It’s not easy being a young player and slumps do happen. Notice with each of those guys, their clubs let them work their way through the slumps while playing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good post.

It’s not easy being a young player and slumps do happen. Notice with each of those guys, their clubs let them work their way through the slumps while playing.

Throw in Jarvis the year before who had 1 goal and 3 points in his final 23 games without lossing minutes and Bones's treatment of Cole really stands out. Maybe he's still too old school where the stick is his preferred method of teaching.

Either way its in the past and I'd expect Cole to have a big year in a larger role next season.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Throw in Jarvis the year before who had 1 goal and 3 points in his final 23 games without lossing minutes and Bones's treatment of Cole really stands out. Maybe he's still too old school where the stick is his preferred method of teaching.

Either way its in the past and I'd expect Cole to have a big year in a larger role next season.
Id bet Cole never puts himself in that position again.

It was frustrating for some, but I'd bet it put a bee in his bonnet and he comes into camp with a chip on his shoulder.

Could turn out very well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Id bet Cole never puts himself in that position again.

It was frustrating for some, but I'd bet it put a bee in his bonnet and he comes into camp with a chip on his shoulder.

Could turn out very well.

Oh I'm sure he's highly motivated for it not to happen again. But slumps do happen even to the best players. I think this org may have learned something as well, sometimes patience is a good thing. Their panic moves really didn't pay off at the deadline. May have been better off giving Cole a reset and putting him right back into the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad