Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Nathan MacKinnon re-signs (7 years, $6.3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
You managed to name the one notable exception. And when you consider Seguin, and the team he was on, it makes sense.

And what are you arguing anyway? Saying he's "only 20" isn't an argument. I never said it was bad deal, or that he wouldn't get better. I said it's highly unlikely he's going to have Art Ross level production. He's getting paid appropriately for a 60-70 point center.

Not highly unlikely when he has his career year but good try....

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Crazy money after two disappointing seasons. You'd think a bridge deal would be ideal in a situation like this but apparently no.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
It's not the worst deal in the NHL...but it's far from the best. Mackinnon has had a couple of "off" seasons in a row (52 points isn't terrible, but for a $6.3million hit it's certainly not great).

I like Mackinnon and all but honestly if he wasn't drafted 1st overall-he wouldn't have gotten the payday he did.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's not the worst deal in the NHL...but it's far from the best. Mackinnon has had a couple of "off" seasons in a row (52 points isn't terrible, but for a $6.3million hit it's certainly not great).

I like Mackinnon and all but honestly if he wasn't drafted 1st overall-he wouldn't have gotten the payday he did.

That's complete ********.

David Backes just got a 6.0M cap hit at 32 Years old for a 45 point season. Andrew Ladd just got 5.5M for 45 points at 30 years old.

Lucic just got 6M for 55 Points.

Even if Mackinnon becomes nothing more then a 55 point player(Which is highly, highly unlikely), this is a fair contract and a reasonable cap hit for 7 years of that kind of production.

All he has to do is take one single step forward and become a regular 60-65 point guy and this becomes a steal.

Mack still has the potential to be a PPG+ forward in this game. He's only 20 years old.

This is an absolutely fantastic contract and the people who say its not are going to look like complete fools in a couple of years, possibly as soon as next year even.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Mack had 2 "off" seasons (if that) because the AVS had 2 horrible seasons. The whole team sucked.

It's actually a fantastic contract, only downside is it's not 8 years.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That's complete ********.

David Backes just got a 6.0M cap hit at 32 Years old for a 45 point season. Andrew Ladd just got 5.5M for 45 points at 30 years old.

Lucic just got 6M for 55 Points.

Even if Mackinnon becomes nothing more then a 55 point player(Which is highly, highly unlikely), this is a fair contract and a reasonable cap hit for 7 years of that kind of production.

This is an absolutely fantastic contract and the people who say its not are going to look like complete fools in a couple of years, possibly as soon as next year even.

You are comparing UFA contracts to RFAs which is idiotic. Completely different situation.

This is very similar to Oilers' mistakes where they give crazy money and term to non-special players right off the ELC. It's just bad business. Risky and unnecessary.

Here should be absolutely no reason to deviate from the way Duchene was handled. Arguably Duchene had a better performance during his ELC and was rightly given a bridge deal so he can prove himself. But now you just guaranteed a 20yo 44M, despite him flatlining after the promising rookie year.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This only makes sense if you ignore the fact that his two "off" seasons came at 19 and 20 years old. Safe to say, he will get even better.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Isn't it understood that a single point is worth roughly $100K? Or at least that's the impression I'm getting.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You are comparing UFA contracts to RFAs which is idiotic. Completely different situation.

This is very similar to Oilers' mistakes where they give crazy money and term to non-special players right off the ELC. It's just bad business. Risky and unnecessary.

Here should be absolutely no reason to deviate from the way Duchene was handled. Arguably Duchene had a better performance during his ELC and was rightly given a bridge deal so he can prove himself. But now you just guaranteed a 20yo 44M, despite him flatlining after the promising rookie year.

Was it bad business for NYI with Tavares, Dallas with Seguin, or Nashville with Josi?

Sure it's a risk, but it's a tiny one and one I'm more than willing to take. Even in your Edmonton example, would anyone not be happy paying Hall or RNH what they're making? I sure would be.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Was it bad business for NYI with Tavares, Dallas with Seguin, or Nashville with Josi?

Sure it's a risk, but it's a tiny one and one I'm more than willing to take. Even in your Edmonton example, would anyone not be happy paying Hall or RNH what they're making? I sure would be.

Did Tavares, Seguin, Josi or Hall have a couple of disappointing seasons after their rookie year? Nope, they didn't. So no, it wasn't bad business, as they've continued to excel just like was expected when the contracts were signed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's a good move by the Avs.

Pay young players for what they will do, not older players for what they have done.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Did Tavares, Seguin, Josi or Hall have a couple of disappointing seasons after their rookie year? Nope, they didn't. So no, it wasn't bad business, as they've continued to excel just like was expected when the contracts were signed.

Seguin had 32 points in 48 games the season before he signed that deal which is less than MacKinnon's pace last year. He had 22 points his rookie year. So by your standards, yes, I guess. Josi had only one truly good season before he signed long term.

And anyone that watched MacKinnon the first 30 games of the season knows he didn't flatline. He was playing the best hockey of his life.

On top of that, $6m has become the going rate for 55 point players. Look at the league leader list. Anybody that hits 55+ with any regularity is making $5.5m+.

There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't love to have MacKinnon on this contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
MacKinnon can't even legally drink in the United States yet his development is far from over. I can't believe people are talking like he's in his mid to late 20's.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Schiefele has been making huge leaps in his development the last 3 seasons and has always been a very strong 2 way player. Right now, he's a good deal better than Mac.

MacKinnon has loads of upside and obviously he's the face of the franchise going forward. I'm just saying that he's not worth this contract now. I understand why it was done because that's the league nowadays, paying for potential, just saying that it comes with some risk.

If he's not worth it now how can you Schiefele is worth it. They're both worth it, it's 6 mill for 50-60 point young players with game changing ability who are getting better.

lardneau

Oct 7, 2011
So just $0.3 million more than RNH and Eberle? Signed through his entire prime? Wow...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad