Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] D Oliver Kylington signs with the Avalanche (1 year, $1.05M)

Ledge And Dairy

His current team didnt want him. He just got signed in August for 1 year 1 million dollar deal and we have posters saying he is better than Manson and Chabot. Yeah im the issue here not you guys. The mental gymnastic is impressive I have to say. Dont let the actual real time facts of how this played out get in the way of a hyperbolic argument.
Are you purposely being ignorant? Did you even read what I said before you posted?

- Calgary offered him a 2 year deal at roughly the same cap hit as Bean
- Kylington held out because his agent convinced him he could do better (the reported 4 year offer from Washington that was on the table)
- Calgary then went and signed local born kid Jake Bean on day 1 of Free Agency. Washington made the offer but Kylington decided to circle back to Calgary to see if they would match. They did not and meanwhile Washington didn't wait either and proceeded to trade for Chychrun on July 1st as well.
- Kylington was then left with 2 teams who did not wait around for him to make a decision. So he went and looked around the league to see if anyone else would offer him that multi year deal.
- No one did so come August he bit his pride and signed a 1 year prove it deal.

What is factual is Kylington has only played 33 games out of the last 164 potential games. That is a big red flag for any team regardless of how well he has played. He just signed a 1 year 1 mill deal in August, do you genuinely think he was looking for that since the start of July? No of course not, as any team would take that risk in a heartbeat. These kind of things happen every year. For example Tarasenko signed a 1 year deal on July 27th last year and Tatar signed a 1 year deal September 12th. Dumba didn't sign until early August either

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would take Kylington at 1 million over Manson at 4.5 for sure no questions asked. Seems strange to say about a guy who is 27 years old but he still has potential. A lot of circumstances have delayed his NHL progress.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol you cant be this clueless about the player. No one wanted him.

Guy wouldnt know a good hockey player if he was playing on a line with mcdavid in beer league.
I'm definitely serious. Kylington is MUCH better than Manson. You'll agree with me halfway through the year and think you thought of it yourself as usual.

Manson is a #6 at best. He's not good at anything besides cross-checking.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
His current team didnt want him. He just got signed in August for 1 year 1 million dollar deal and we have posters saying he is better than Manson and Chabot. Yeah im the issue here not you guys. The mental gymnastic is impressive I have to say. Dont let the actual real time facts of how this played out get in the way of a hyperbolic argument.
His current team did want him - just not that badly. They offered him a deal. He decided to play the market and the Flames went in another direction.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

I would take Kylington at 1 million over Manson at 4.5 for sure no questions asked. Seems strange to say about a guy who is 27 years old but he still has potential. A lot of circumstances have delayed his NHL progress.
I think comparing the 2 is odd, they are very different style players. If anything I think they would make quite a strong pairing together. Similar but not quite the same as the Kylington - Tanev pairing that works so well. I would not be at all shocked if they are one of the Avs pairings coming out of camp

Reactions: Alienblood

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Landeskog still isn’t expected to be ready for the start of the season?

What’s that 3 seasons in a row now that he’s out?

Wtf is going on with his recovery?? Gotta be one of the worst injuries I’ve ever seen(in terms of time required to heal/recover) in all pro sports.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Landeskog still isn’t expected to be ready for the start of the season?

What’s that 3 seasons in a row now that he’s out?

Wtf is going on with his recovery?? Gotta be one of the worst injuries I’ve ever seen(in terms of time required to heal/recover) in all pro sports.

Totally off topic. But that’s ok. Call our secretary to set up an appointment and we'll be happy to go over that with you.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm definitely serious. Kylington is MUCH better than Manson. You'll agree with me halfway through the year and think you thought of it yourself as usual.

Manson is a #6 at best. He's not good at anything besides cross-checking.
You are hockey illiterate. Heavy big, RHD who can move the puck and play both ways are the most sought after position in hockey. Average to undersized left handed shot skill defensemen are a dime a dozen. Easiest thing to acquire after a skilled undersized to average sized winger.

You may disagree but the entire hockey market has told us through, trades, contracts and drafting this is the case. You can stick your head in the sand and ignore it all you want but you are 100 percent wrong. The entire NHL could have had Kylington no one wanted him until August at basically league minimum. Manson played a significant role on a stanley cup winner and never made it to free agency. This board honestly makes my head hurt when I read some of these opinions that are not only blatantly wrong but how confident and condescending you are about it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Manson at 4.5 million is a steal meanwhile you can get a Kylington at 1 million absolutely anywhere. Multiple undersized skill D men werent qualified this year and were had between 900 k and 1.2 million. They have no value.

Are you purposely being ignorant? Did you even read what I said before you posted?

- Calgary offered him a 2 year deal at roughly the same cap hit as Bean
- Kylington held out because his agent convinced him he could do better (the reported 4 year offer from Washington that was on the table)
- Calgary then went and signed local born kid Jake Bean on day 1 of Free Agency. Washington made the offer but Kylington decided to circle back to Calgary to see if they would match. They did not and meanwhile Washington didn't wait either and proceeded to trade for Chychrun on July 1st as well.
- Kylington was then left with 2 teams who did not wait around for him to make a decision. So he went and looked around the league to see if anyone else would offer him that multi year deal.
- No one did so come August he bit his pride and signed a 1 year prove it deal.

What is factual is Kylington has only played 33 games out of the last 164 potential games. That is a big red flag for any team regardless of how well he has played. He just signed a 1 year 1 mill deal in August, do you genuinely think he was looking for that since the start of July? No of course not, as any team would take that risk in a heartbeat. These kind of things happen every year. For example Tarasenko signed a 1 year deal on July 27th last year and Tatar signed a 1 year deal September 12th. Dumba didn't sign until early August either
Thats all we need to know, your hypothetical scenarios may or may not have happened the rest is conjecture. What we do know is he signed a 1 year deal for 1 million in August. Stick with the actual results there were still 29 other teams that had a chance even if your hypothetical scenario is correct.

Comparing Kylington to Chychrun is also hilarious but thats neither here nor there.

We have seen multiple skill d men that dont play physical be had for pennies this is no different.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Kylington was probably waiting for a top team like Colorado to show interest, so he can showcase himself, have a good year, and sign a 3 year contract. It makes sense, why struggle on a poor team, and lower his value? It's way easier to play defense on Colorado than on mid to bottom teams, he'll look good.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Kylington will struggle to be the Aves 8th best D and if Calgary misses him this much there's no worries. Since he'll be available on waivers by November.

So everyone wins. Except Kylingtons banker.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Not sure. It all depends on if Landeskog (7m) is healthy enough to play after missing 2 years and/or if Nichushkin (4.9m pro-rated upon Nov. 15 possible return) applies to be reinstated in the NHL.

22-man roster, $79.00875m caphit

Drouin - Mackinnon - Lehkonen
??? - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - O'Connor
Kiviranta - Wagner - Kovalenko
Kelly

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Kylington - Brannstrom
de Haan - Malinski

Georgiev
Annunen

How you fill in the ??? with neither, just 1, or both Landy/Nuke, there's so many ways it can go.

IMO, Landy doesn't play sadly, and Nuke comes back. Avs hope he stays clean, and trade him next summer when his NMC changes to a 12-team NTC.

The conspiracy theorist in me says both won't play, and the Avs will trade for Laine, whom they have just enough capspace to accommodate. :sarcasm:
I hope Parise will coming back but he's retired.
He did a good job in 2 line spot in playoff and still a very good utility player.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You are hockey illiterate. Heavy big, RHD who can move the puck and play both ways are the most sought after position in hockey. Average to undersized left handed shot skill defensemen are a dime a dozen. Easiest thing to acquire after a skilled undersized to average sized winger.

You may disagree but the entire hockey market has told us through, trades, contracts and drafting this is the case. You can stick your head in the sand and ignore it all you want but you are 100 percent wrong. The entire NHL could have had Kylington no one wanted him until August at basically league minimum. Manson played a significant role on a stanley cup winner and never made it to free agency. This board honestly makes my head hurt when I read some of these opinions that are not only blatantly wrong but how confident and condescending you are about it.
No, your assessment of Manson is incorrect. You're right about him being big and heavy. Wrong about him being able to play both ways. He neither moves the puck well nor defends well. He's been over 3 goals against per 60 for 3 straight seasons now and was almost 4 goals against per 60 in one of those seasons. By far the worst defender of Colorado's regular defensemen. He does see heavier defensive zone deployment that needs to be taken into account, but that's because he's a black hole offensively, not because he's good in his own end. There's a reason he only plays 17 minutes a night since he came to the Avs. It's because he's not very good.

Kylington in his last full season was half of a top 10 D pairing with Tanev. Granted, he's missed time and we still don't know if he'll get back to his 21-22 form or not. Colorado exploited a market inefficiency. It happens all the time. Good signing by them. The Manson trade? Bad move.

Shane Diesel

Mods are corporate stooges
Jun 8, 2021
Kylington in his last full season was half of a top 10 D pairing with Tanev. Granted, he's missed time and we still don't know if he'll get back to his 21-22 form or not. Colorado exploited a market inefficiency. It happens all the time. Good signing by them. The Manson trade? Bad move.
The Avs won a Cup with Manson on the roster, re-signed him to a reasonable cap hit and gave up a 2023 2nd and Drew Helleson for him. Helleson has a total of three NHL games with the Anaheim organization and the 2nd round pick remains years away from the NHL, if ever making it.

I'd be careful before accusing others of not knowing what they're talking about.

Reactions: Alienblood

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
No, your assessment of Manson is incorrect. You're right about him being big and heavy. Wrong about him being able to play both ways. He neither moves the puck well nor defends well. He's been over 3 goals against per 60 for 3 straight seasons now and was almost 4 goals against per 60 in one of those seasons. By far the worst defender of Colorado's regular defensemen. He does see heavier defensive zone deployment that needs to be taken into account, but that's because he's a black hole offensively, not because he's good in his own end. There's a reason he only plays 17 minutes a night since he came to the Avs. It's because he's not very good.

I'm new to these boards but not new to hockey or following the Avs (since they arrived) and I can't disagree more with the assessment of Manson.

His hockey IQ is really high; he makes many under-rated great reads on defense and shuts down plays regularly (I didn't say "perfect" nor "always"; as he still makes mistakes just like Toews and Makar can do too).

His offensive skills get overlooked: he very reliable on the stretch pass/breakout and he can jump into the deep offensive zone to sustain pressure or bury a goal every once a while. His slapshot is 2nd best on the Avs (behind Makar) and he uses it well to setup rebounds and deflections; with occasional success in his own right.

The Girard-Manson pairing however does not get utilized for either of their offensive attributes; they are really good at flipping possession from defensive zone to the offensive zone and sustaining the attack; but half of their shift is spent gaining offensive zone possession then they change for Makar/Toews to capitalize. This is a HUGE part of the Avs success.

He isn't Jaccob Slavin (but who is besides him) but he is damn good defensively and fits our system really well. At times he struggles with a fast paced East-West attack; but if you watch around the league that is common and one of the weaknesses of the Avs overall system of play. Girard and Makar are better at defending it because of their agility and quick first step; but you see Toews struggle with it too (and I've seen Slavin/Burns get burned against it too; especially in playoffs vs Rangers).

Add in the fact that Manson is our best blueline hitter since Adam Foote/Rob Blake and our best everyday player that can drop the gloves and he is one of the best players at that price. My only concern with him is his aging curve and injury history.

I like Kylington and Brannstrom; but being realistic these guys fit the mold of Girard/Walker in playing style which is fun during the regular season, but once playoff hockey starts we know that we need more Manson.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Avs won a Cup with Manson on the roster, re-signed him to a reasonable cap hit and gave up a 2023 2nd and Drew Helleson for him. Helleson has a total of three NHL games with the Anaheim organization and the 2nd round pick remains years away from the NHL, if ever making it.

I'd be careful before accusing others of not knowing what they're talking about.
It's black and white, not grey. Manson isn't why they won a cup. Mackinnon, Makar, Toews, Rantanen, Nicushkin ect are the reason they won the cup. It would be like me saying the Flames made the finals in 04 because of Oliwa. Kind of silly.

I'm new to these boards but not new to hockey or following the Avs (since they arrived) and I can't disagree more with the assessment of Manson.

His hockey IQ is really high; he makes many under-rated great reads on defense and shuts down plays regularly (I didn't say "perfect" nor "always"; as he still makes mistakes just like Toews and Makar can do too).

His offensive skills get overlooked: he very reliable on the stretch pass/breakout and he can jump into the deep offensive zone to sustain pressure or bury a goal every once a while. His slapshot is 2nd best on the Avs (behind Makar) and he uses it well to setup rebounds and deflections; with occasional success in his own right.

The Girard-Manson pairing however does not get utilized for either of their offensive attributes; they are really good at flipping possession from defensive zone to the offensive zone and sustaining the attack; but half of their shift is spent gaining offensive zone possession then they change for Makar/Toews to capitalize. This is a HUGE part of the Avs success.

He isn't Jaccob Slavin (but who is besides him) but he is damn good defensively and fits our system really well. At times he struggles with a fast paced East-West attack; but if you watch around the league that is common and one of the weaknesses of the Avs overall system of play. Girard and Makar are better at defending it because of their agility and quick first step; but you see Toews struggle with it too (and I've seen Slavin/Burns get burned against it too; especially in playoffs vs Rangers).

Add in the fact that Manson is our best blueline hitter since Adam Foote/Rob Blake and our best everyday player that can drop the gloves and he is one of the best players at that price. My only concern with him is his aging curve and injury history.

I like Kylington and Brannstrom; but being realistic these guys fit the mold of Girard/Walker in playing style which is fun during the regular season, but once playoff hockey starts we know that we need more Manson.
He is your most physical guy, no debating that. I disagree with the rest. Mentioning him in the same breath as Slavin is kind of silly. He's basically a worse version of Gudbranson. Bottom pairing, physical guy at his best.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
It's black and white, not grey. Manson isn't why they won a cup. Mackinnon, Makar, Toews, Rantanen, Nicushkin ect are the reason they won the cup. It would be like me saying the Flames made the finals in 04 because of Oliwa. Kind of silly.
You can neither prove nor disprove the Avs would've won a Cup without picking up Manson at the deadline. He's also been a mainstay in the Avs' top four since and nothing the FO gave up would make the Colorado organization any better currently.

You want to talk about silly arguments...

He is your most physical guy, no debating that. I disagree with the rest. Mentioning him in the same breath as Slavin is kind of silly. He's basically a worse version of Gudbranson. Bottom pairing, physical guy at his best.
Don't quit your day job, your ability as a couch scout is laughable.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You can neither prove nor disprove the Avs would've won a Cup without picking up Manson at the deadline. He's also been a mainstay in the Avs' top four since and nothing the FO gave up would make the Colorado organization any better currently.

You want to talk about silly arguments...

Don't quit your day job, your ability as a couch scout is laughable.
He's not playing top 4 minutes. He's never played even #5 minutes. He's always been around 17 minutes per night. Manson isn't good. That you think he is shows me how much you understand the sport.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
He's not playing top 4 minutes. He's never played even #5 minutes. He's always been around 17 minutes per night. Manson isn't good. That you think he is shows me how much you understand the sport.
The Avs gave up a pick and a prospect that did nothing for them in the '22 Cup run, nor would've contributed to the roster since.

I couldn't care less how you view Manson, but there is no legitimate argument to be made it was a bad trade for the Avs in any manner.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Fella, not one person has agreed with your takes, including those that watch him regularly. Take his stats however you’d like but it doesn’t change the fact that he a is a quality NHL defenseman and positive asset to a contending team. He has ups and downs to be certain but is still a net positive player. You should probably just take the L and move on as opposed to insulting people that clearly watch him more than you do.

Anyways, hopefully the new guy does well and earns a good contract on his next on regardless of who it’s with.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Manson at 4.5 million is a steal meanwhile you can get a Kylington at 1 million absolutely anywhere. Multiple undersized skill D men werent qualified this year and were had between 900 k and 1.2 million. They have no value.

Classic Eastern Conference take. He's big and mean sure but he's getting old and slow. Footspeed is waning and as a result he takes a lot of penalties, and he's always taken a lot of penalties so that's just going to get worse.

Kylington is one of the best skaters I've watched play for the Flames. The list of players that can keep up with McDavid in a straight line in this league is a short one but he's on it. The Avs are built on speed and transition, I suspect he's going to fit into their system very well.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Fella, not one person has agreed with your takes, including those that watch him regularly. Take his stats however you’d like but it doesn’t change the fact that he a is a quality NHL defenseman and positive asset to a contending team. He has ups and downs to be certain but is still a net positive player. You should probably just take the L and move on as opposed to insulting people that clearly watch him more than you do.

Anyways, hopefully the new guy does well and earns a good contract on his next on regardless of who it’s with.
I never take an L when I'm right. He's not a net positive player. I was alone in saying we shouldn't sign Huberdeau too. I'm fine being alone in saying Kylington is better than Manson as well. That way once again I'll be the only person who is right.

• Haha
Reactions: bert

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I never take an L when I'm right. He's not a net positive player. I was alone in saying we shouldn't sign Huberdeau too. I'm fine being alone in saying Kylington is better than Manson as well. That way once again I'll be the only person who is right.
Ok, show us the stats that prove he's a net negative.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Classic Eastern Conference take. He's big and mean sure but he's getting old and slow. Footspeed is waning and as a result he takes a lot of penalties, and he's always taken a lot of penalties so that's just going to get worse.

Kylington is one of the best skaters I've watched play for the Flames. The list of players that can keep up with McDavid in a straight line in this league is a short one but he's on it. The Avs are built on speed and transition, I suspect he's going to fit into their system very well.
I'd love it if Kylington came in and played lights out. He'll get good matchups on the 3rd pair and I hope his skating can be utilized well (decision making is more important than skating; but if both are there then we have a gem).

These things are not mutually exclusive: Manson can have a role and so can Kylington/Brannstrom.

I think the Avs are doubling up their chances of a "rebound" candidate on the 3rd pair with those signings; kind of like Drouin/Tatar last year at F.

The Avs front-office have proven that they will do right by players by supporting them through NHLPA program and dealing with mental health concerns, and also finding them a new team if it doesn't work out here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad