1983 IIHF WHC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can someone explain how and why Finland tanked in this tournament

They finished below West and East Germany for god sakes East Germany?

At the time the games were an after thought and the best fins had just started to play in the NHL. You did notice that the USA was not in the games? They were in division 2.

Also, the Fins G let them down that year and remember the games were in Germany. Weird shit happened during this time

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Have to say, the East German hockey program has crossed my mind about zero times prior to this post.

They seem to have been one of the ever-present teams bouncing between the ‘A’ and ‘B’ world championships. Considering the era, they fared quite respectably in 1983. Losing 3-0 to the Soviets and 5-2 to a Canadian roster featuring six future Hall of Famers could certainly be worse. Their loss to Sweden was by a single goal. They lost a close game with the West German hosts, but beat Finland.

I feel you also have to remember that Finland was still up and coming, and had another five years of waiting before their first medal in a major tournament. Without having seen a second of East German hockey and just based on a hunch, I feel I’d liken their pretty decent 1983 WC performance to a national team of Austria’s stature making the most out of lowly expectations for an Olympic tournament: beating the team they should beat, keeping it close in losses to the best teams, swallowing a bitter loss to the rival Swiss, but upsetting a team like Slovakia.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Can someone explain how and why Finland tanked in this tournament
oktoberfest-cheaper-beer-ft-blog0517_0-f163db9f5f4a4ba69478421938509ff3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad