Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Howard Simon had a good point about Bylsma and the way the Olympic hockey team fell apart.

Or maybe he was just reading yahoo.

Meh, i think it was a bit facetious to lay all the blame on the coach for trying to impossibly motivate a team to play a 3rd place game less than 24 hours after being in a war against a monstrously physical and stacked Canada team. Especially when most of the team was already the silver medalists 4 years earlier and their motivation was all-or-nothing on avenging 2010.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Are you thinking of Vancouver? That team wasn't expected to medal but then exceeded expectations to finish 2nd. Come Sochi time USA was returning a lot of key members from the Vancouver team and had arguably the best goalie in the tournament. A lot of Canadians(not just fans, but the talking heads too) had USA as our main competition.
Personally the only team at Sochi that I thought could beat us was USA. To me the semi-final between Can-USA was the final. Whoever won that game was taking gold.

So you didn't think a stacked Russian team on its home soil was the main competition to Canada. I call BS on that, and most everyone before the tournament had Russia coming out of Group A.

Lundqvist was the best goalie in the tournament on a great Swedish team and then Rask was second on another great Finnish team.

Vancouver clouded the judgment of many in terms of international play, but the USA was the 5th best team going into Sochi. They lacked high end skill it takes to compete on the big ice. Too many good players, not enough great.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just throwing this out here....

A few years ago the most coveted coach out there that tons of posters here wanted was....... Dallas Eakins.

Whoever we get I hope is just far better then that.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Scott Stevens would be interesting. Depending on what happens in New Jersey. While he was co-head coach this year, he might be better suited for an assistant gig. But we have plenty of young D that could benefit a lot from him and the Devils young D certainly has progressed. Phil Housley would likewise be an interesting guy to look at. If Housley would take an AHL head coaching gig I'd take him in a millisecond.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Wouldnt go anywhere near Dan Bylsma - After watching both Pens and Sabres the last 4 years he is the last person you want near your superstars and younger talent. totally clueless coach

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Just throwing this out here....

A few years ago the most coveted coach out there that tons of posters here wanted was....... Dallas Eakins.

Whoever we get I hope is just far better then that.

Eakins failed/over aggressive implementation of the swarm defense was really what killed him, he just didn't have the right personnel to run it. Funny thing is, the Sabres DO have the personnel to run it.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Wouldnt go anywhere near Dan Bylsma - After watching both Pens and Sabres the last 4 years he is the last person you want near your superstars and younger talent. totally clueless coach

Yeap, what a travesty guys like Staal, Neal, Crosby, Letang and Malkin turned out to be under Bylsma.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015

What are you basing this off of?

I see a lot of hate on here for Bylsma and very few responses with justification. Please elaborate.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
What are you basing this off of?

I see a lot of hate on here for Bylsma and very few responses with justification. Please elaborate.

Exactly..I thought Bylsma did a great job in Pittsburgh and his experience with Crosby would go a long way in coaching Eichel (if thats who they pick)

Bps21*

Lets dump a contract offer into the offensive zone and see if he can chase it down

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Well Malkin and Crosby are going to be Malkin and Crosby, but Blysma never put them in a situation where they could really damage other teams. He always got outcoached in the playoffs.

My last thought of Dan Bylsma is when they were down 2-1 in Game 7 VS Rangers last year, Rangers 4th line was on the ice for ever and they had to ice. Against a tired 4th line he put out the Craig Adams line.

They trade for Iginla at the playoffs, where does Bylsma put him, on his opposite wing and 3rd line- Not where hes been playing his whole life to not upset Pascal Dupuis.

Id be highly worried if i was a prospect / player not named Eichel or Reinhart - Because the treatment that Beau Bennett and Simon Despres copped, being forced to sit and never getting a shot for the sake of the old boys club is and continues to be a disgrace.

Pens didnt win the cup because of Bylsma, it was a hybrid Therrien system which worked.

Id elaborate more but im at work...

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
How about Whoopi?

Eddie_poster.jpg

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Lets dump a contract offer into the offensive zone and see if he can chase it down

You keep saying this over and over again. This would be a legit argument if Bylsma didn't already explain the benefit to throwing in the zone versus going one on one with a defender. Also, you complaining makes even less sense when Pitt was continually a top offensive team and overall team year after year. You think that maybe he stuck with the strategy because it worked??

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Except this isn't a normal negotiation, their head coach of 10 years just quit and went to a bottom feeder. Holland is looking for the best replacement, not the best deal.
Then his best replacement is Blashill, majority of the team has played under Blashill and the young guys coming up currently play for Blashil so if anyone is qualified for taking over the Red Wings; it's Blashill. Tell me who knows the players strengths and weaknesses from Grand Rapids better than Blashill? He already has the players respects.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
Well Malkin and Crosby are going to be Malkin and Crosby, but Blysma never put them in a situation where they could really damage other teams. He always got outcoached in the playoffs.

My last thought of Dan Bylsma is when they were down 2-1 in Game 7 VS Rangers last year, Rangers 4th line was on the ice for ever and they had to ice. Against a tired 4th line he put out the Craig Adams line.

They trade for Iginla at the playoffs, where does Bylsma put him, on his opposite wing and 3rd line- Not where hes been playing his whole life to not upset Pascal Dupuis.

Id be highly worried if i was a prospect / player not named Eichel or Reinhart - Because the treatment that Beau Bennett and Simon Despres copped, being forced to sit and never getting a shot for the sake of the old boys club is and continues to be a disgrace.

Pens didnt win the cup because of Bylsma, it was a hybrid Therrien system which worked.

Fair enough. Wanted to hear it from someone who follows the Pens closer than myself.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Yeah you and other posters who say the same thing have me convinced he's not a good fit.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Why did Malkin and Crosby's production fall so far this year?? Why did the penguins as a whole fall 11 points off from last year?

I hate to break it to you, but the playoffs were MAF fault. The guy was beyond awful. You just can't win like that.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/5/8/4312126/marc-andre-fleury-stats-penguins-nhl-playoffs-2013

Sometimes young players are just not good enough. Both of those guys you said were not very highly touted in NHL circles. A guy like Olli Maata played a bunch. I think the whole young guy nonsense is complete BS. He played Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Neal, Kennedy a bunch.

Bps21*

Why is scoring down all over the league? Is that because Bylsma is gone?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Letang is about the only one of those players Bylsma can take credit for.

Tons of guys had career years under Bylsma. Maata, Kennedy, Neal, Kunitz, Niskanen, etc. Even a guy like Staal is no where near the player he was under Bylsma.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Why did Malkin and Crosby's production fall so far this year?? Why did the penguins as a whole fall 11 points off from last year?

I hate to break it to you, but the playoffs were MAF fault. The guy was beyond awful. You just can't win like that.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/5/8/4312126/marc-andre-fleury-stats-penguins-nhl-playoffs-2013

Sometimes young players are just not good enough. Both of those guys you said were not very highly touted in NHL circles. A guy like Olli Maata played a bunch. I think the whole young guy nonsense is complete BS. He played Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Neal, Kennedy a bunch.
Bad roster management from the GM. I also heard reports there was a rift in the locker room. Not sure what it was about but could have been ego's. Also the Penguins have been a top team for half a decade now and you know he saying what goes up must come down.

I could be off base but this is my understanding.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Why is scoring down all over the league? Is that because Bylsma is gone?

Don't know how much scoring as a whole is down from 13-14 to 14-15 but Pitt went from 2.95 goals per game to 2.65 goals per game.

Jaime Benn lead league in scoring this year with 87 points. Last year it was Crosby with 104, but after that it was Getzlaf with 87. What that tells me is that Crosby's production dipped dramatically, but the other players are still at the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad