Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
While I think I prefer Terry Murray..................

I'm getting this suspicion that unless Shero does something in NJ.........I think Bylsma is our next coach. I think.

And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So yesterday I threw out the name John Stevens as a possible candidate. After sharpening skates for a few hours this morning I came up with another candidate.

Ralph Krueger. The poor guy who was fired via skype by the Oilers. He coached them for one season before being ousted in favor of Dallas Eakins and we all know how that went.

I don't know much about Ralph other than the fact that the one year Ralph coached is the one year the Oilers showed any kind of improvement. D-zone play got better, work ethic/consistent effort was being given. They weren't down on themselves after every goal like they were with Eakins.

He was also apart of the coaching staff in Sochi. Hitchcock and himself were a big part in designing a system on the big ice and obviously it worked well. Canada dominated puck possession and zone time which is something I'd like to see more of from the Sabres.

Anyways, just another name for discussion.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If Murray really appreciates the work of Richardson, I'd prefer that he place him in Rochester in charge of the prospects.

I do like that he's apparently willing to do his due diligence and interview as many 8 people.

I've been reading articles and interviews regarding Richardson today, and in his interviews he's very vocal about thinking he's ready to be an NHL head coach, and implied that he probably wouldn't leave his current gig for anything else since he loves it there and he claims he's very loyal to the Sens organization. We'd most likely have to give him the Sabres HC gig for him to come here.

There were also other teams that have supposedly been sniffing around, thinking of hiring him as early as a year ago, so it's only a matter of time before he coaches somewhere. The more I read, the more I really found a lot to like about him, although I have never watched a game that he coached, so I'm going solely of internet research.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
So yesterday I threw out the name John Stevens as a possible candidate. After sharpening skates for a few hours this morning I came up with another candidate.

Ralph Krueger. The poor guy who was fired via skype by the Oilers. He coached them for one season before being ousted in favor of Dallas Eakins and we all know how that went.

I don't know much about Ralph other than the fact that the one year Ralph coached is the one year the Oilers showed any kind of improvement. D-zone play got better, work ethic/consistent effort was being given. They weren't down on themselves after every goal like they were with Eakins.

He was also apart of the coaching staff in Sochi. Hitchcock and himself were a big part in designing a system on the big ice and obviously it worked well. Canada dominated puck possession and zone time which is something I'd like to see more of from the Sabres.

Oilers fans definitely liked the dude, for whatever its worth.

Although, that improvement could have just as easily been the result of a 48 game sample size...

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
He's still the Coyotes' coach, but IIRC he has an out clause. I can't imagine he'd change jobs to go anywhere other than to a team that's ready to win immediately.

That's the prevailing thought here in Phoenix by media and fans - but then, again, that's what most assumed about Babcock as well. For a coach who's employed by not only a rebuilding team but one with an internal cap, he might rethink his situation after seeing the payday that Babcock garnered.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I know it's very likely a long shot but who knows what happens if Holland wants to go with a veteran like Bylsma instead....I doubt Blashill will be staying loyal then.
I think Ken Holland more or less has his mind already made up about going with Blashill, I think he mentioned a few coaches names as to not tip his hand.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Accept it, Tip. The Blashill dream is over. He's going to be Detroit's next HC....it's fait accompli.

Most thought Babcock was going to Buffalo Tuesday night.
Most thought the Flyers would hire a known name.
Many thought Bylsma would be immediately hired in NJ.

Common sense and repeated theories all point to Blashill being hired by Detroit but based on all of the unexpected turns of events lately, I'm still prepared to be surprised/shocked by whatever reality brings. ;)

Ralph Krueger. The poor guy who was fired via skype by the Oilers..

FWIW, during the recent IIHF tourney, there was a lot of mention to how much Krueger has built up the Swiss hockey program into a respected operation.

I've been reading articles and interviews regarding Richardson today, and in his interviews he's very vocal about thinking he's ready to be an NHL head coach, and implied that he probably wouldn't leave his current gig for anything else since he loves it there and he claims he's very loyal to the Sens organization. We'd most likely have to give him the Sabres HC gig for him to come here.

I read that a few weeks ago. His body of work so far in only 3 seasons as an AHL head coach just doesn't inspire - and he's never won anything as either a player or a coach.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
- Asked Murray how Babcock delt with Sabres. Murray said it was a great process, no wrong doing by Babs. He's considered one of the best and for him to give us a good hard look was great for Murray's experience.

- Asked Murray..Org felt that they had a deal, is that true, was it close? Murray said "only Pegula's Murray and Mike knew negotiations and that it wasn't super close. Not sure who in TBN they spoke to about a a deal is practically done. Murray got the call at 11:33am that he wasn't coming to Buffalo. Murray said Ok, move on, that's it.

- Asked Murray same questions. Murray said he never was sure, maybe some optomism but about it. Maybe a conversation went well or something, but they knew he was talking to other teams.

- Babcock thought he was straight forward during the Toronto meeting today. Asked Murray if that's true. Murray said he was told that Bobcock told him he was still talking to Detroit Buffalo and Toronto.

If only that god-awful thread on the main board was still open

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I think Ken Holland more or less has his mind already made up about going with Blashill, I think he mentioned a few coaches names as to not tip his hand.

Well, he's not letting anyone talk to Blashill, so I'm not sure why he'd be worried about 'tipping his hand'.

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY

I'd be very happy with Kreuger. Unfortunately, I think it's either Bylsma or Richardson.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Most thought Babcock was going to Buffalo Tuesday night.
Most thought the Flyers would hire a known name.
Many thought Bylsma would be immediately hired in NJ.

Common sense and repeated theories all point to Blashill being hired by Detroit but based on all of the unexpected turns of events lately, I'm still prepared to be surprised/shocked by whatever reality brings. ;)

FWIW, during the recent IIHF tourney, there was a lot of mention to how much Krueger has built up the Swiss hockey program into a respected operation.

I read that a few weeks ago. His body of work so far in only 3 seasons as an AHL head coach just doesn't inspire - and he's never won anything as either a player or a coach.

Didn't he win a championship his first year coaching in the AHL? Maybe I read that wrong.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Well, he's not letting anyone talk to Blashill, so I'm not sure why he'd be worried about 'tipping his hand'.
If I'm doing contract negotiations and head coaching interviews I don't want any of my candidates to feel comfortable that they are going to be picked. That's bad for business if your trying to negotiate a price and they want more because you know that they absolutely want you and now they have the upper hand.

SO the latest from Pegula Air ...

Left Buffalo at 4:45 this afternoon.... Arrived in Frederick, Maryland.

Scheduled to leave at 7 tonight and head to White Plains , NY

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/XSR960/history/20150521/2300Z/KFDK/KHPN
I wonder if that is a shard jet rather than a personal airliner.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't he win a championship his first year coaching in the AHL? Maybe I read that wrong.

Not any championships - you may have read that he won a division title in his 2nd season.

Luke Richardson enters his third season coaching the Binghamton Senators. Fresh off back-to-back 44 win seasons and an East Division Championship last year, Richardson will once again look to guide the B-Sens into the postseason.

With Richardson at the helm this past season, Binghamton led the American Hockey League with 276 goals en route to Binghamton’s first Division Championship since the 2004-05 season. Despite the season-long success, the B-Sens were bounced from the Calder Cup Playoffs after four games in the opening round for the second consecutive year by division rival the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

In Richardson’s inaugural season behind the B-Sens bench he guided the team to 44 wins which was good for 96 points and a second-place finish in the East Division. Through injuries and frequent player call-ups to the parent club, the Ottawa Senators, Richardson continuously showed his ability to put quality and competitive skaters on the ice.

http://www.binghamtonsenators.com/team/frontoffice/frontoffice/?staff_id=24

His teams got bounced in the 1st round of AHL playoffs in his first 2 seasons and missed the playoffs altogether this season with a .500 record.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
We should do a big board for coaches. Maybe top 7, nothing that will take a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad