Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't like any of the established choices. Because of that, I'd like to see them take a shot at someone that hasn't been a head coach yet.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Oilers fans definitely liked the dude, for whatever its worth.

Although, that improvement could have just as easily been the result of a 48 game sample size...

Definitely a small sample size.

Perhaps he'd be open to the Rochester job? I doubt it though, it's probably NHL head coach or stay in Switzerland.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
There's no perfect coach out there. Even with Babcock, there never was. There's no Cup-ring wearing, youth building, demi-god to turn this thing around immediately. With that said, I like a number of candidates for various reasons and what they could bring to the table (flaws included). My list:

1) Julien. Of course, the Bruins have to fire him first. I'd put Tippet pretty high, too, if I thought he might be available.

2) Byslma. I've always thought he's a smart and technically sound coach, despite the current negative narrative.

3) Blashill. I can't see him moving unless Detroit passes on him for a more experienced guy.

4) Dineen. Loved what he did in Portland, thought he did well enough with Florida, and I imagine being in Chicago this past little bit has been educational at the very least.

5) McClean. Mostly for the mustache. Seriously.

After that top five, I'm much more "eh." They could go off the boards and find a college or junior gem. They could dip into another AHL affiliate (ie Richardson). They could drag Cunneyworth back out. They could find a hard-nosed re-tread like Tortorella or Carlye (please no to the first one). They could bore us with Deboer. The possibilities are endless...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This talk about Dineen, did the Hawks not just hire him last year? Why would they be willing to move on him so fast?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
This talk about Dineen, did the Hawks not just hire him last year? Why would they be willing to move on him so fast?

Most teams don't stand in the way of the upward trajectory of their employees, and they could now at least demand some form of compensation pick.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Howard Simon had a good point about Bylsma and the way the Olympic hockey team fell apart.

Or maybe he was just reading yahoo.

Really?!? Judging a coach on the Olympics??

The USA exceeded expectations in Sochi for the talent they were going against. Came out of group A in 1st which included beating Russia the home team. Lost to the Canadian powerhouse 1-0. I don't judge the Fin game. You just lost, the tournament is over. Game is a joke.

Personally I love the Bylsma is American and we are getting the next American Superstar. Love it!!

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Howard Simon had a good point about Bylsma and the way the Olympic hockey team fell apart.

Or maybe he was just reading yahoo.

I think it's fair to say that he struggled with that Olympic team, but luckily, the Sabres aren't an uber-elite team in a short-term tournament. I also think Bylsma is young enough and smart enough to learn from past mistakes and adjust his approach. The young, talented squad that he assisted in coaching at the WCs is much more reflective of what he can expect with the Sabres for the next couple years.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I think it's fair to say that he struggled with that Olympic team, but luckily, the Sabres aren't an uber-elite team in a short-term tournament. I also think Bylsma is young enough and smart enough to learn from past mistakes and adjust his approach. The young, talented squad that he assisted in coaching at the WCs is much more reflective of what he can expect with the Sabres for the next couple years.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=738574

I read this article and immediately felt better about his prospects

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=738574

I read this article and immediately felt better about his prospects

Thanks. It's clear he's intelligent. I see a guy with experience coaching in the NHL (and winning it all), who is young enough to embrace analytics and adjust to a changing league. He has flaws and past faults, but you can't find me a coach that doesn't. Now I will wait for the big anti-Bylsma crowd to descend.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Really?!? Judging a coach on the Olympics??

The USA exceeded expectations in Sochi for the talent they were going against. Came out of group A in 1st which included beating Russia the home team. Lost to the Canadian powerhouse 1-0. I don't judge the Fin game. You just lost, the tournament is over. Game is a joke.

Personally I love the Bylsma is American and we are getting the next American Superstar. Love it!!

USA definitely didn't exceed expectations. Expectations were very high, not just from American fans. Not getting a medal is not exceeding expectations when they had expectations of medalling.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If i we're you guys i'd look into John Hynes. Pens' AHL coach. Excellent AHL record playing with essentially no top tier forward prospects BUT has extensive experience working with USA National Jr teams. Has developed the blue chip D-prospects the Pens have hoarded nicely.

I personally think he's a better coach than DB and you guys are right. If DB can learn and adapt from his past, he wouldn't be bad choice either.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
USA definitely didn't exceed expectations. Expectations were very high, not just from American fans. Not getting a medal is not exceeding expectations when they had expectations of medalling.

Who expected a medal?!?! Most expected USA to not even come out of group A. Before the tournament I would have put USA 5th or 6th.

Canada
Sweden
Russia
Finland
USA
Slovakia

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Who expected a medal?!?! Most expected USA to not even come out of group A. Before the tournament I would have put USA 5th or 6th.

Canada
Sweden
Russia
Finland
USA
Slovakia

If you believed that you would've been in the minority. I was all over the Olympics boards on here at the time and most everyone had USA anywhere from #2 to #4 among the teams in the tournament. Everyone at least thought they were highly capable of getting a medal. Not coming out of Group A? That's crazy talk. There's just no way the team exceeded expectations. If you didn't expect a medal and they got one then you could say they exceeded expectations. And "5th or 6th" with Slovakia 6th, implying you would maybe switch them. Slovakia over USA? C'mon.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
I wouldn't be opposed to Bylsma at all. Thought the article in the link was interesting as well.

Julien, Hitch, Walrus, or Bylsma would all be fine for me. I don't know enough about the history of the other candidates (Blashill, Richardson, etc.) to have an informed opinion on them right now.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Canada
Sweden
Russia
Finland
USA
Slovakia

Are you thinking of Vancouver? That team wasn't expected to medal but then exceeded expectations to finish 2nd. Come Sochi time USA was returning a lot of key members from the Vancouver team and had arguably the best goalie in the tournament. A lot of Canadians(not just fans, but the talking heads too) had USA as our main competition.
Personally the only team at Sochi that I thought could beat us was USA. To me the semi-final between Can-USA was the final. Whoever won that game was taking gold.

Bps21*

Tim Graham just tweeted that he never said Murray was livid. And yet 400 posts on the main board allowed to bury him based on Grahams "sabres are livid" tweet because everyone wants to blame and hate Murray.

As far as coaches go...i think its Bylsma. I don't want him even a little but I don't think they can push an unproven guy after publicly failing on Babcock. Hopefully he has learned something in his time away. Hopefully he has learned a lot

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
If I'm doing contract negotiations and head coaching interviews I don't want any of my candidates to feel comfortable that they are going to be picked. That's bad for business if your trying to negotiate a price and they want more because you know that they absolutely want you and now they have the upper hand.

I wonder if that is a shard jet rather than a personal airliner.

Except this isn't a normal negotiation, their head coach of 10 years just quit and went to a bottom feeder. Holland is looking for the best replacement, not the best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad