Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Whoever it is, it's very reassuring to hear Murray say yesterday he was getting calls from candidates and friends within minutes of the Babcock news leaking

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Whoever it is, it's very reassuring to hear Murray say yesterday he was getting calls from candidates and friends within minutes of the Babcock news leaking

Any good coach who's on the market should be salivating about the idea of coaching the Sabres given their situation of an excellent prospect pool and Eichel on the way.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
At this point, I'm trusting TM will put the right guy in place. He knows what he's looking to build and will find the best candidate.

If it fails, then it's on Murray. :laugh:

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
At this point, I'm trusting TM will put the right guy in place. He knows what he's looking to build and will find the best candidate.

If it fails, then it's on Murray. :laugh:

This is how I feel. Certainly I trust his judgment more than any of us on this board or media people. It's his job and it's his responsibility if it fails.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
This is how I feel. Certainly I trust his judgment more than any of us on this board or media people. It's his job and it's his responsibility if it fails.

What's exciting to think about is we are so used to uninspired hires or no real coaching search take place. Tim Murray has boxes he wants to check off that we don't even know about! I imagine he has a notebook and scouting reports and analytics and others of all the candidates along with anecdotal evidence of leadership.

He knows this is a huge hire and he need to hit it out of the park. He has wanted this GM job and has been working towards it all his life. This is the time, this is the moment to ensure the new coach molds his plethora of talent into a juggernaut.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Also refreshing that he interviewed and spoke to people before and during the Babcock saga. But HE DIDNT HAVE A BACKUP PLAN and shiz

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I just don't see Bylsma being the guy.

Though I wouldn't mind Bylsma's hire, I don't think it happens, either. I think they're waiting to see how the Julien situation shakes out. I also believe Boston is fully aware of that, and they're slow-playing the situation much the way Pittsburgh did with Bylsma last year when many believed he would've been a top candidate for Washington's then-open coaching gig. If Julien doesn't get fired, I think Tim makes more of an outside-the-box hire (not Richardson). Murray isn't going to get fired for screwing up this coach choice, so if it doesn't work out he can always can the guy in 2-3 years and make a safer pick (think along the lines of Hitchcock) when the team is more ready to win.

Speaking of the Julien situation, if he's retained by Boston, I think the assistants there are going to take the fall for last season. Sweeney allegedly wants to see "some changes in philosophy." They can whack their assistants, bring in new ones for Julien, and say they've checked that box. I say all that to to say this: I think Kevin O. is on to something when he suggested Doug Houda as the Amerks' next head coach. He started his coaching career in Rochester as an assistant, and was thought of as one of the up-and-coming NHL head coaches a few years back. But the preference to hire NHL assistants seems to have stagnated, and he likely knows he needs some head coaching experience to fill out his coaching resume. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on Rochester's short list if some or all of the Boston coaching staff gets fired.

(Additionally, if Julien gets fired and is subsequently hired by Buffalo, Houda makes even more sense for Rochester given that he and Julien likely have a strong working relationship, and Houda would likely have Julien's trust to implement his system down in Rochester.)

JackTheRipper

Feb 11, 2015
Man the way people talk about Blysma in this thread you would think he's never won a game in the NHL. The guy has won a stanley cup, a Jack Adams award(which Babcock has never won btw), and is the fastest coach in NHL history to win 250 games.

Let me ask this, if Blysma and Babcock switched roles 10 years ago(Blysma coaches Red Wings and Babcock coaches Penguins), do you think the teams' results would have been much different?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The more I think about it, the less I know about coaching success in the NHL. At this point I just have to put my faith that Murray and Co will make a good choice.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Man the way people talk about Blysma in this thread you would think he's never won a game in the NHL. The guy has won a stanley cup, a Jack Adams award(which Babcock has never won btw), and is the fastest coach in NHL history to win 250 games.

Let me ask this, if Blysma and Babcock switched roles 10 years ago(Blysma coaches Red Wings and Babcock coaches Penguins), do you think the teams' results would have been much different?

Some Sabres fans are coach dyslexic.

They look at Ted Nolan and see Dan Bylsma's coaching record; and they look at Dan Bylsma and see Ted Nolan's coaching record.

That or they hate Bylsma's name for not having enough vowels.

JackTheRipper

Feb 11, 2015
The more I think about it, the less I know about coaching success in the NHL. At this point I just have to put my faith that Murray and Co will make a good choice.

I agree. I think a team's success is like 95% dependent on the players anyways. I bet if Ted Nolan was coaching Chicago this year, they would still be one of the best teams in the league.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
As do I. I struggle to see how there's any secret to NHL coaches telling their players how to perform better, especially in today's league that really doesn't lend itself to any strategy.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

Bylsma seems like a good fit to me. He has coached superstar players, dealt with ego's, confidence issues, major injuries and cap constraints. He let his superstars create and had a system in place for role players.

Not sure if he is development oriented but he can hire a staff that is. I do have concerns about him, altho it's hard to say how much the GM or medical staff impacted what Bylsma was able to do.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As do I. I struggle to see how there's any secret to NHL coaches telling their players how to perform better, especially in today's league that really doesn't lend itself to any strategy.

The sport today is more strategized than it's ever been, though I agree with the overall point. The importance is overstated. It still exists, though. These guys have to effectively work with players to clean up their games, especially young ones. They have to find the right power play, forechecking, etc system for the roster they have and implement it correctly. They have to change those systems when the situation warrants it. It's not all about just showing up and motivating players, which is precisely why most people wanted Nolan gone despite how seemingly good he is at just that.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Armchair GM:

Hire Kelly Nobes (McGill) to coach Amerks (longshot bet on him becoming the next Cooper)
Hire Adam Oates to coach the Sabres.

Oates sorts out the offense, and helps the Sabres establish an identity as an exciting up tempo team.
If he flames out, no problem, we've got out up and comer in Ra-cha-cha.

He's well respected by players, and he might be the perfect guy to shape Reinhart's game. (Don't think Eichel's needs much shaping, e.g., "Hey Jack, go out there and do that thing where you keep the puck on your stick until the defense runs out of gas.")

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Armchair GM:

Hire Kelly Nobes (McGill) to coach Amerks (longshot bet on him becoming the next Cooper)

Oates sorts out the offense, and helps the Sabres establish an identity as an exciting up tempo team.

He's well respected by players, and he might be the perfect guy to shape Reinhart's game. (Don't think Eichel's needs much shaping, e.g., "Hey Jack, go out there and do that thing where you keep the puck on your stick until the defense runs out of gas.")

Oates' last gig was none too impressive, but he seems like he'd be an ideal assistant

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Armchair GM:

Oates is under contract with NJ. How exactly are you hiring him?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Murray is looking for a coach that uses analytics, advanced stats. Thinks the game, uses strategy. It could be anyone.

People worried Bylsma is too much like Nolan shouldn't be worried. Murray won't hire Bylsma if that's the case.

Babcock was our top target because that's what he does. Now Murray will search for a guy that thinks the game the same way.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Oates is under contract with NJ. How exactly are you hiring him?

He's not a head coach. All assistants are under contract. NJ is interviewing Boucher. I don't think they plan to make him (Oates) head coach.

Anyway, I think I missed my point. The actual names don't matter as much as the idea. You grab a known entity, with known offensive coaching acumen, and make him head coach. Next, you grab a relative unknown with a good hockey mind to coach the Amerks. Not somebody with so much clout that you are making a succession plan obvious.

I picked Nobes and Oates. But it could be a different pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad