Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
A follow up to my previous post, Bylsma studying advanced stats.

NHL.com's Q&A feature called "Five Questions With …" runs every Tuesday. We talk to key figures in the game and ask them questions to gain insight into their lives, careers and the latest news.

The latest edition features former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma:

With time on his hands this season, former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma has gone back to being a student of the game. His classroom is his living room. His desk is his couch. His teachers are the coaches and players in the NHL.

"I have done a scout on 27 teams to this point," Bylsma said. "I haven't gotten every team yet, but I'm coaching my son's team and I've been other places where it's just not possible to sit down and watch all of the games that are going on for that two days or three days. So I haven't watched every game, but I usually record two games a night and watch a game so I can watch the other games the next morning at some point in time to see what's happening."

Bylsma is studying to stay up to date on what's happening in the NHL in case his phone rings with his next job offer. He's ready for that to happen. But he's also studying as a way to learn more about nuances of the game that he never had time to dissect when he was coaching.

"There are some analytic aspects of the game that I'm looking at and delving into what the numbers mean, what the analytics mean," Bylsma said. "There are certain aspects of how some teams play that I want to dissect and breakdown."

For example, when someone says, "We need to play in the offensive zone," Bylsma is trying to determine how teams are getting there and what they are doing to stay there.

"We have a lot of numbers about it, but what does it mean, how do you do it?" Bylsma said.

He's looking at the grind factor on defensemen and the effect it has on them.

"It's minutes played and the quality of minutes you get," Bylsma said. "How many times do they go back for pucks? How long are they playing in the 'D' zone?"

He's analyzing zone-entry situations, trying to figure out the cost and benefit between carrying the puck into the zone versus chipping it in and hunting it down?

"That's why I talk about the grind factor," Bylsma said. "As a defenseman it's easiest to play you face-to-face. The hardest defense to play is when you have to turn. So if you get a shot on net, the defenseman has to turn. If you make him go back for a puck, he has to turn. If you carry it in all night and he's playing face-to-face, it's the easiest defense you can play. Even though it's the best to carry it over the line, it's easiest on the defender.

"I'm just trying to look at those aspects. I've looked at certain teams that are good at carrying it in and are good in the offensive zone."

And through it all Bylsma has gotten a good grasp on what's happening in the NHL with teams and players, surprises and disappointments. He offered some of his opinions on what he's seen and what he thinks in a Q&A with NHL.com.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=738574

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
The more I think about it, the less I know about coaching success in the NHL. At this point I just have to put my faith that Murray and Co will make a good choice.

My sentiments exactly. i am cautiously optimistic that a solid hire will take place.

I have a feeling it will be a hire where a lot of people are like "who did they hire"?, and 2-3 years from now we will all be thrilled with the head coaching decision.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Per Lauren brill Sabres have yet to speak to bylsma and won't until next week when amateur scout meetings conclude

Which is merely just an extension of yesterday's reports that the coaching search would resume after Memorial Day. I figure we have another 10-14 days before a coach is hired.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
The sport today is more strategized than it's ever been, though I agree with the overall point. The importance is overstated. It still exists, though. These guys have to effectively work with players to clean up their games, especially young ones. They have to find the right power play, forechecking, etc system for the roster they have and implement it correctly. They have to change those systems when the situation warrants it. It's not all about just showing up and motivating players, which is precisely why most people wanted Nolan gone despite how seemingly good he is at just that.
I concur that there's plenty of strategy, I guess I'm just saying it doesn't matter with the current state of the game. I don't think whatever system applied will change the amount of play you can get around the opposing net and the dumb luck that most goals are.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I concur that there's plenty of strategy, I guess I'm just saying it doesn't matter with the current state of the game. I don't think whatever system applied will change the amount of play you can get around the opposing net and the dumb luck that most goals are.

just when i thought...

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Which is merely just an extension of yesterday's reports that the coaching search would resume after Memorial Day. I figure we have another 10-14 days before a coach is hired.

Would be pretty cool to announce it during combine week when the hockey world is all here

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You increase your chances of lucky bounces when you have possession. If you don't have the puck it's hard to consistently win.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
What about Dallas Eakins? Weren't people hot on him just a couple of years ago? No, he couldn't get the Oilers out of the hole, but that's quite a task to be honest...

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Not a chance he gets another NHL head coaching job this quickly.

I'm just asking. :) I don't know much (or anything) about his system but I know his name was dropped frequently a couple of years ago. Did he fall so far from grace? Was he in over his head in Edmonton or was he and Oilers just a bad match?

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Armchair GM:

Hire Kelly Nobes (McGill) to coach Amerks (longshot bet on him becoming the next Cooper)
Hire Adam Oates to coach the Sabres.

Oates sorts out the offense, and helps the Sabres establish an identity as an exciting up tempo team.

I'd love Oates as an assistant. He's an absolute wizard with the Powerplay. Not very good at anything else. And seeing as he's under contract I just don't see him coming to be an assistant.

My Dream scenario would be Richardson hired as coach (great at devleloping and teaching) and have Oates as assistant coach.

I'm just asking. :) I don't know much (or anything) about his system but I know his name was dropped frequently a couple of years ago. Did he fall so far from grace? Was he in over his head in Edmonton or was he and Oilers just a bad match?
I think it was a combination of the two. His system just didn't work well.

I do like that Bylsma is actually learning and using analytics. Have to think he'd be a great fit with Murray.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
What about Dallas Eakins? Weren't people hot on him just a couple of years ago? No, he couldn't get the Oilers out of the hole, but that's quite a task to be honest...
Too soon for Eakins to get another go anywhere IMO, but I also was a Cooper guy myself. ;)
Jon Cooper would get my vote, among others.
I'm a bit indifferent to most of the rumored candidates right now, but I'll settle on a favorite eventually.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Though I wouldn't mind Bylsma's hire, I don't think it happens, either. I think they're waiting to see how the Julien situation shakes out. I also believe Boston is fully aware of that, and they're slow-playing the situation much the way Pittsburgh did with Bylsma last year when many believed he would've been a top candidate for Washington's then-open coaching gig. If Julien doesn't get fired, I think Tim makes more of an outside-the-box hire (not Richardson). Murray isn't going to get fired for screwing up this coach choice, so if it doesn't work out he can always can the guy in 2-3 years and make a safer pick (think along the lines of Hitchcock) when the team is more ready to win.

Speaking of the Julien situation, if he's retained by Boston, I think the assistants there are going to take the fall for last season. Sweeney allegedly wants to see "some changes in philosophy." They can whack their assistants, bring in new ones for Julien, and say they've checked that box. I say all that to to say this: I think Kevin O. is on to something when he suggested Doug Houda as the Amerks' next head coach. He started his coaching career in Rochester as an assistant, and was thought of as one of the up-and-coming NHL head coaches a few years back. But the preference to hire NHL assistants seems to have stagnated, and he likely knows he needs some head coaching experience to fill out his coaching resume. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on Rochester's short list if some or all of the Boston coaching staff gets fired.

(Additionally, if Julien gets fired and is subsequently hired by Buffalo, Houda makes even more sense for Rochester given that he and Julien likely have a strong working relationship, and Houda would likely have Julien's trust to implement his system down in Rochester.)

One thing about Julien is that there will be even more growing pains with the young defenseman just learning Juliet's defensive zone system.
Zadorov, McCabe, Pysyk, Risto are already young guys trying to establish themselves. (Risto to a lesser degree seeing as he's already showed ability at the nhl level.) trying to learn that system could be a setback.
But the Julien & Houda connection is definitely interesting. Houda would be able to develop and implement that system in Roch.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Bruins fans said the same about us and Julien. Things don't usually end well, else they wouldn't end. Bylsma's purported and mostly untrue preference for vets--seriously, look at Malkin's, Crosby's, and Letang's ice times under Bylsma--is confused for the fact that Shero did an awful job of giving him young forwards to work with. Shero drafted two forwards in the top-60 of Bylsma's entire tenure:

Beau Bennett
Teddy Blueger (just finished junior season at Minn-Mankato)

That's awful. That's how you end up with Craig Adams playing more than you should; there was nobody coming up to displace those vets, and Shero did terribly in UFA, as well.

No one is saying that Bylsma played vets like Adams more than their superstars like Crosby and Malkin. That is such a strawman.

Adams was benched this year in the Playoffs in favor of Bennett and Scott Wilson, who had 1 shift of NHL experience before the playoffs. I think thats all that needs to be said about the idea that there was nobody who could have replaced Adams. Johnston doesn't agree with you.

Its commonly believed that Bylsma held back Depres. Depres was a regular for Johnston and played well, and has played well for Anaheim.

Thats what's meant by favoring vets to younger players. It's with respect to the depth players essentially, not the superstars. Young players under Bylsma aren't trusted with the roles he gives to players like adams, even if it seems clear to everyone how much better they are in the role when they get their callups. Young players who are going to be good regardless aren't going to be ruined, its the players with potential but need that little bit of work that probably aren't going to develop as well or at all. Did you like how Johan Larsson was handled this year (before injuries and trades forced him into the lineup full time)? Because the perceptions of Larsson were similar to the perceptions of Depres while Bylsma was coach. That perception being that they're both good players who should be playing more than the coach is playing them.

A lot of Sabretooth's post--not Sabretip's--that was largely based on anecdotal evidence was largely refuted soon thereafter, FWIW. I guess people hear and see what they want to hear and see.

Also, can't believe Bylsma was just put in the same sentence as Ted Nolan. From you, no less.

If by "Largely refuted" you mean the one poster who got angry about my opinion, then ok sure I guess it was largely refuted. I'm not going to sit around a debate with people that have to resort to resort to refuting opinions by calling them idiotic and "spewing garbage".

And like, I'm just a fan here with an opinion like anyone else. What non-anedotal evidence have people given in support of Bylsma? His cup and winning percentage? Thats like evaluating a player based on nothing but the scoresheet. I'm not trying to take away his cup, it's a great acomplishment that not just any coach can achieve. I'm just saying that just because he has a cup with one team in one situation doesn't mean he's going to be able to to coach another team in another situation to a cup. The cup is not a very big factor, IMO, in whether or not he would be a good coach with the Sabres.

I never claimed anything I said was anything but my own opinion based on my own viewings of the Byslma coached penguins, which has been hundreds of games, pre and post game interviews, "Inside Penguins Hockey" broadcasts, "In the Room" episodes, etc. I've seen a lot of Bylsma. Not that it makes me an expert or anything, only that I wonder if the "Pro-Bylsma" has seen much of Bylsma other than mostly some playoff games and the olympics?

I'm also not campaigning to convince anyone of anything about Bylsma. Someone asked for people who didn't like Bylsma to say why. I gave my opinion, and someone said my opinion was stupid. Great. Bylsma will get hired or he won't. Nothing I say is going to have any effect on that decision. If he's hired, I'll be disappointed but I'm not going to be sitting there looking for every little opportunity to criticize him. It'll be whatever it will be.

Well Malkin and Crosby are going to be Malkin and Crosby, but Blysma never put them in a situation where they could really damage other teams. He always got outcoached in the playoffs.

My last thought of Dan Bylsma is when they were down 2-1 in Game 7 VS Rangers last year, Rangers 4th line was on the ice for ever and they had to ice. Against a tired 4th line he put out the Craig Adams line.

They trade for Iginla at the playoffs, where does Bylsma put him, on his opposite wing and 3rd line- Not where hes been playing his whole life to not upset Pascal Dupuis.

Id be highly worried if i was a prospect / player not named Eichel or Reinhart - Because the treatment that Beau Bennett and Simon Despres copped, being forced to sit and never getting a shot for the sake of the old boys club is and continues to be a disgrace.

Pens didnt win the cup because of Bylsma, it was a hybrid Therrien system which worked.

Id elaborate more but im at work...

This is basically the types of things I was trying to say, said in a much clearer way obviously. I probably shouldn't have tried to make arguments that pens fans would have made much better.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Has anyone been talking about Mike Haviland? I'm not sure he'll leave Colorado College but he has been linked to a few NHL teams. Seems like he would be a great fit with this young core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad