Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Can't help but see Bylsma's past warts as the reason he would fail here. He's too much of an offensive, run and gun coach for my taste. Was a constant playoff casualty.

Funny - I've read just as many posts / descriptions from fans that Bylsma's teams played a dump-and-chase game as I have of them playing a run-and-gun system.

He tends to pick favourites and even when he realizes he's wrong, he tends to be stubborn and stick with it regardless

Every coach has his favorites that he leans on more than other players - it's human nature. Even legends like Bowman and Burns did and Babcock sure does.

As much as the fans want a guy with pedigree, I think when you take a step back and look at what he has accomplished with the talent he was given, Luke Richardson certainly stands out as the guy for the Sabres. He has proven that with young players, he can develop them. Is Luke Richardson the guy that leads us to the Stanley Cup? That seems unlikely but Trent Yanney and Denis Savard all coached many of the Chicago core before Quinnville stepped in and helped take them over the mountain top.

Richardson job would to develop talent and get them into the playoffs. The you evaluate and analyze whether he's the guy to take us over the top.

What exactly has he accomplished?

Not much - one regular season AHL division title between two first-round ousters and a playoff no-show in 3 seasons of work as an AHL head coach doesn't stand out IMO. As a player, Richardson didn't accomplish anything either even though it wasn't his fault of playing for mostly poor teams.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What exactly has he accomplished?

Did you miss the discussion above?

He hasn't had any particularly deep playoff runs, but he's taken some of the young Ottawa players and really assisted their development.

The track record for development is there.

For all the bluster around here about getting a coach with an NHL track record....in my opinion, getting one with a developmental track record is more important. We're going to have a young team.

Richardson has that track record.

Yes, I'd still prefer a guy like Terry Murray. Richardson, to me, wouldn't be a bad choice by any stretch.

Flapjack

Oct 29, 2014
White Rock, BC
I think if Tim Murray wants Luke Richardson he would have to do a good sales job on Terry Pegula to convince him. I believe Pegula wants to get as big a name as possible to come to Buffalo. His M.O. appears to be to try and make Buffalo a "go to" destination and is willing to use his money to overcome any perceived shortcomings the Buffalo area has. With that being said I have to think Bylsma is the clear front runner for the job.

On a side note. I see some here putting Randy Carlyle forth as a candidate. I think the chance of that are slim to none. The optics of that would be horrible for the Sabres. After being jilted by Babcock for Toronto I can't see them then going dumpster diving for Maple Leaf scraps.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Nothing - but, krt88 asked to look at "what Richardson has accomplished". Since it wasn't clear to Husko or I what accomplishments exactly he's referring to, I pointed out that there's no championship on Richardson's resume as either a minor league coach or former player.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Every coach has his favorites that he leans on more than other players - it's human nature. Even legends like Bowman and Burns did and Babcock sure does.

I agree for sure but he just doesn't care if he sees the results aren't coming. At one point the penguin brass was frustrated with him doing almost the same treatment to Olli Maata.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
IIRC among the other reasons mentioned before, Maclean didn't want to play the kids and B. Murray wanted them in the lineup which might have been the final straw. Once Maclean was turfed, the kids were inserted and their magical run soon commenced. Maybe a Sens fan could shed some more light on it.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
IIRC among the other reasons mentioned before, Maclean didn't want to play the kids and B. Murray wanted them in the lineup which might have been the final straw. Once Maclean was turfed, the kids were inserted and their magical run soon commenced. Maybe a Sens fan could shed some more light on it.

Ya you're right, Maclean leaned heavily on veterans, that's not always a terrible strategy, but the ones he leaned on were terrible. When Cameron took over, he scratched Phillips which is something Maclean never had the balls to do. Over the rest of the year Cameron also scratched Neil, Smith and Legwand. When Maclean was fired, Hoffman and Stone really took off, as well as Pageau and Lazar. Weircioch was also someone that we couldn't trade for a late pick at the deadline who flourished down the stretch and ended up playing for team canada at the world championships. If development is the goal here (which I'm assuming it is), Maclean is not a guy to go after.

On the other hand, all of those guys who took off (minus Lazar) where at least partially developed by Richardson in the AHL, Ceci is another one who he's had a huge hand in developing.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He plays a system that is pleasing to watch, but......

http://senshot.com/2014/12/07/ottawa-senators-time-fire-paul-maclean/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...r-things-that-aren-t-his-fault-182113204.html

He didn't have a great roster, wasn't real willing to play the kids and shuffled lines more than Lindy ever did.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I know in the past the Kings gave Stevens a pretty good raise to stay with them. They really like him a lot.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Solid AHL success. Decent NHL success....some think he was unfairly fired.

Being an assistant under Sutter can only really help things.

He'd be a fine hire.

A lot of coaches have that success that people dont want. What type of system does he run?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
A lot of coaches have that success that people dont want. What type of system does he run?

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/5/27/coaching-candidate-profiles-john-stevens

During Stevens' time as head coach in Philadelphia, the Flyers were excellent on special teams, and about as good as you'd expect at five-on-five depending on the quality of their goaltending and top-four defensive group. Overall, I think it's fair to describe Stevens's head coaching track record as reasonably impressive by the numbers.

Not sure on the system he runs. But, the following players have all credited a large chunk of their development to him:

Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Drew Doughty
RJ Umberger

Two that he had at least a hand in developing:
Patrick Sharp
Dennis Seidenberg

Impressive developmental track record. Solid special teams guy. Good 5-on-5 guy when given the right roster.

He'd be a very good hire, if unlikely.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/5/27/coaching-candidate-profiles-john-stevens

Not sure on the system he runs. But, the following players have all credited a large chunk of their development to him:

Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Drew Doughty
RJ Umberger

Two that he had at least a hand in developing:
Patrick Sharp
Dennis Seidenberg

Impressive developmental track record. Solid special teams guy. Good 5-on-5 guy when given the right roster.

He'd be a very good hire, if unlikely.

Sounds good. His history with Terry Murray should help. Tim should have a lot of info on him.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Funny - I've read just as many posts / descriptions from fans that Bylsma's teams played a dump-and-chase game as I have of them playing a run-and-gun system.

Having watched a bunch of Bylsma's Penguins here in Pittsburgh, when Crosby/Malkin were out of the lineup, the team played an incredible dump-and-chase, grind-it-out game, but whenever Crosby and Malkin were healthy, they kind of overruled that style of play.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Ummmm what now?

A coach can absolutely influence puck possession with the system that he chooses to install.

A passive defensive system like the one Nolan (or his assistants??) tended to use was to allow shots to come in from the outside. While this insulates goalies that may not be as good......defenders also aren't nearly as aggressive, which lessens the possibility for turnovers which leads to less possession.

That's just one example.
I know, allow the opponent more but weaker opportunities to score. Then they have to give up possession after taking those chances. It all circles around to the same result. True scoring chances are too few and far between, and the only way you'll consistently earn more is with talent.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Why not Randy Carlyle? It's pretty clear he wasn't the problem in Toronto, just like Maurice etc..

Everybody realizes how much Carlyle hates the Leafs? Right? Great rivalry stuff. I think he did a decent job with Leafs. They were playoff bound, when he was fired. He has a cup too.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
;)

Not much - one regular season AHL division title between two first-round ousters and a playoff no-show in 3 seasons of work as an AHL head coach doesn't stand out IMO. As a player, Richardson didn't accomplish anything either even though it wasn't his fault of playing for mostly poor teams.

Really because Ottawa is complaining about the players who he has helped develop. Winning in the AHL isn't necessarily the goal. Player development is. The Buffalo Sabres need a guy who can help develop this core if talented but inexperienced players into true NHL players. Winning cones later. If you expect the team to truly contend the next two years you are clueless. Hire a guy who can develop the players. Worry about the championship coach down the road.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think if Tim Murray wants Luke Richardson he would have to do a good sales job on Terry Pegula to convince him. I believe Pegula wants to get as big a name as possible to come to Buffalo. His M.O. appears to be to try and make Buffalo a "go to" destination and is willing to use his money to overcome any perceived shortcomings the Buffalo area has. With that being said I have to think Bylsma is the clear front runner for the job.

On a side note. I see some here putting Randy Carlyle forth as a candidate. I think the chance of that are slim to none. The optics of that would be horrible for the Sabres. After being jilted by Babcock for Toronto I can't see them then going dumpster diving for Maple Leaf scraps.
People aren't giving Terry and Kim Pegula enough credit. They aren't just looking for the big name. They will interview a bunch of people and hire the one that fits best.

Rex Ryan wasn't even at the top of their list. Kim said they were surprised when they met with him how impressive he was. One of the big things that got Rex the job was he wanted to bring in Greg Roman as OC. The Pegulas interviewed Roman for the head coach job and loved him. So Rex and Roman combo was a no brainer.

They will do the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad