Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Good luck with that TM

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 3m3 minutes ago
One thing I'm sure Bylsma pitched to #sabres: acquire Jordan Staal, take some pressure off/provide mentorship to Eichel, Reinhart

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I'm more thrilled than I should be that Stepner has more than anyone at TBN.

I'm letting the hate flow through me too much I think. :P

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Good luck with that TM

One thing I'm sure Bylsma pitched to #sabres: acquire Jordan Staal, take some pressure off/provide mentorship to Eichel, Reinhart

Replace Jordan Staal with ROR though and you have yourself something

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Ugh, not mad at the hire necessarily but would have preferred a little bit more of a thorough search. I better hear something a long the lines that the interview process was so stellar that we didn't need to continue the search

Of course you'll hear that. Company line.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
The typical crew of goofs from TBN gets nothing from the Sabres. It's quite amazing actually. They just stopped asking years ago I think.

Bps21*

Good luck with that TM

**** if we can just get guys that aren't even rumored to be available let's just jump right to Toews.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Or how about "we did a thorough search and talked to tons of people and you guys just weren't privy to all the details because we hate TBN with the burning passion of a hundred million pegula bucks."

There's two parties that can leak info. It's in the benefit of a coaching candidate to leak such info to create competition amongst teams. If potential candidates are under contract with other NHL organizations, that info typically gets leaked as well.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I'm having a hard time remembering when TBN was privy to the inner working of the hockey team. I recall Jim Kelley in the 90s being pretty involved (and getting punched). Darcy had the org on lockdown for quite a while, and Pegula has roaming dog packs with a taste for TBN reporter prowling the city.

Last edited:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The typical crew of goofs from TBN gets nothing from the Sabres. It's quite amazing actually. They just stopped asking years ago I think.

See, and that's what cracks me up.

I had an email exchange going with Harrington after the first 'WHAAA NO PRESSER' episode. Was actually very civil, nothing like his Twitter interactions.

I pointed out to him that if they didn't have a presser, and if TBN asked for interviews and was denied, all they had to do was report that. Reporters and the business of gathering the news aren't supposed to be the story. Keep reporting credible, relevant information (ie, reporting), document when the Sabres refused to talk to you, and move on. We disagreed on this point.

If that's all they had done, public opinion would have turned slowly against the team for not being forthcoming, refusing to talk, etc, etc. However, their constant tantrums about this had the opposite effect. Now everyone just assumes the Sabres will tell them nothing, and looks elsewhere.

Good job accelerating your own early retirement buyouts boys.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So are some here under the impression that because some creepy person snapped a photo of Babcock and Byslma, that those are the only two coaches interviewed? And therefore a decent number of coaches were not talked to? Or had face time with Murray? People need to realize there's this cool technology called Skype and face to face meetings can be had from the other side of the planet if need be.

For me, there's no reason to think Murray only interviewed 2-3 people.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
So are some here under the impression that because some creepy person snapped a photo of Babcock and Byslma, that those are the only two coaches interviewed? And therefore a decent number of coaches were not talked to? Or had face time with Murray? People need to realize there's this cool technology called Skype and face to face meetings can be had from the other side of the planet if need be.

For me, there's no reason to think Murray only interviewed 2-3 people.

Doesn't matter if it's 2 or 20 to me. Once you think someone is your guy, make a move. If it doesn't work , rinse and repeat.

Good candidates are not going to sit around while you check off your next 5 options.

Bps21*

It's also not like Tim Murray doesn't know who these people are. He's around rinks and has been in hockey his whole life. You start with a short list of people that fit your criteria or what is the point? We heard he talked to McLellan on the phone while he was at worlds, we know he went after Babcock, obviously Bylsma. I would be surprised if he didn't interview his uncle (who is who I want to get the job) and we'd never have any reason to hear about that. He wants someone he knows he can work with and you don't have to cast a wide net to find that...you know who you know.

Karate Johnson*

It's hilarious how not dialed in TBN is....

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of bitter losers with careers in a dead medium.

Bps21*

TBN is too busy preparing their attacks for the coach hiring press conference too actually track down any leads on who it might be held for.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I haven't been quiet about not wanting Bylsma but I don't have any problems with how the search has been conducted as best we can guess. We know Murray's had at least cursory talks with many candidates. If he hires Bylsma, Bylsma was going to be the guy even if he waited and interviewed 10 more people. Though he said he wasn't looking for a coach of any certain profile I do think he was keen on getting someone with plenty of NHL head coaching experience if he could help it, as opposed to a Richardson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad