Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Bylsma becomes the coach, this is bad for any prospect / young player not named Eichel and be prepared for a long stretch first round exits due to being constantly outsmarted

Beau Bennett sucks, get over it. Despres is the only argument here, and he was repeatedly passed over for callups by Shero, and later traded by Rutherford. Bylsma wasn't the only one who missed there. And the Despres situation is not only mitigated by, but is outweighed by all the other defensemen who flourished in Pittsburgh under Bylsma.

LOL because these 2 really thrived once Bylsma left....
Joe Morrow never even played an NHL game under Bylsma, so please explain how exactly he mismanaged him?

Chiarelli and Julien must be dumbski's, too, for only giving him 15 NHL games in Boston over the last 1.5 years. Man, all these guys with Cups on their resume who don't think much of Joe Morrow, but I guess we should take Ozpensfan's word that Bylsma screwed Morrow's development.

**** if we can just get guys that aren't even rumored to be available let's just jump right to Toews.

There's been an undertow for a little while now that Carolina is going to tear it down. Eric is usually the one rumored to be on the move, but I think both Staals are dealt if they go in that direction--and they should. Regardless, Jordan strikes me as someone who wouldn't waive to play in Buffalo.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
So are some here under the impression that because some creepy person snapped a photo of Babcock and Byslma, that those are the only two coaches interviewed? And therefore a decent number of coaches were not talked to? Or had face time with Murray? People need to realize there's this cool technology called Skype and face to face meetings can be had from the other side of the planet if need be.

For me, there's no reason to think Murray only interviewed 2-3 people.

GMTM has said verbally on wgr that he spoke to candidates before, during, and after the entire Babs saga. So if people are thinking that he hasn't conducted a thorough search thus far are wrong. Spoke to can mean different things to different folks though.

If GMTM is cool with Bylsma than so am I

X2

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
There's been an undertow for a little while now that Carolina is going to tear it down. Eric is usually the one rumored to be on the move, but I think both Staals are dealt if they go in that direction--and they should. Regardless, Jordan strikes me as someone who wouldn't waive to play in Buffalo.

Only way I'd see Jordan waiving for Buffalo is if Eric came along too.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Guts...what if it's...Its...it's...JOE BATTISTA...OH NO!!! HOPEFULLY HARRINGTON IS ON THE CASE!

To be fair, they kinda look similar.

DnvT1C4.jpg

Johpiaq.jpg
"and now we play the waiting game."

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Beau Bennett sucks, get over it. Despres is the only argument here, and he was repeatedly passed over for callups by Shero, and later traded by Rutherford. Bylsma wasn't the only one who missed there. And the Despres situation is not only mitigated by, but is outweighed by all the other defensemen who flourished in Pittsburgh under Bylsma.

Chiarelli and Julien must be dumbski's, too, for only giving him 15 NHL games in Boston over the last 1.5 years. Man, all these guys with Cups on their resume who don't think much of Joe Morrow, but I guess we should take Ozpensfan's word that Bylsma screwed Morrow's development.

Clearly we are going to disagree on Beau Bennett so im not going to bother and say what you will about Joe Morrow -

Fact is when Boston called him up he was he was playing usefull Bottom 4 minutes, something he never ever saw in Pittsburgh because Bylsma, rather then make someone accountable, would rather let Rob Scuderi or Brooks Orpik (who had mentally checked out of pittsburgh at the end of his time there) suck the life out of the defensive corps and dont even get me started on Craig Adams.

Iginla - Whats he up to 500 odd goals now? Bylsma put him on the opposite side of what hes been playing for last 17 years - We cant upset Pascal Dupuis now can we....

So much more.. but alas, work needs to be done.

Bps21*

So...to clarify...a player who isn't even good NOW...we should blame his last coach for not playing him...before? ... We've reached a new low.

And for ****s sake on Beau Bennett...he played less than 50 games under Bylsma. If he can be ruined in that amount of time...buddy...he was never good. Played more games without Bylsma now than with him...how'd he do now that the freaking DEVIL is out of the picture? Oh...still sucks? Weird...

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Clearly we are going to disagree on Beau Bennett so im not going to bother and say what you will about Joe Morrow -

Fact is when Boston called him up he was he was playing usefull Bottom 4 minutes, something he never ever saw in Pittsburgh because Bylsma, rather then make someone accountable, would rather let Rob Scuderi or Brooks Orpik (who had mentally checked out of pittsburgh at the end of his time there) suck the life out of the defensive corps and dont even get me started on Craig Adams.

Iginla - Whats he up to 500 odd goals now? Bylsma put him on the opposite side of what hes been playing for last 17 years - We cant upset Pascal Dupuis now can we....

So much more.. but alas, work needs to be done.
Bennett sucks and Morrow never played for Pittsburgh. Even if those were real concerns they are things that EVERY coach in the NHL does. Detroit fans said the exact same things about Babcock.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
More of the imminent signing by TSN/CP/AP:

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma's interview for the Buffalo Sabres' vacancy extended into Wednesday night, though a deal had not been reached.

A person familiar with the discussions told The Associated Press that while talks "were heating up," there was no "definitive" agreement. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Sabres have declined to discuss their search to replace Ted Nolan, who was fired last month.

The person added that the interview took place in Buffalo and included Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula and general manager Tim Murray.

Buffalo's WKBW-TV posted a picture on its Twitter account of Bylsma, Murray and Sabres President Ted Black walking together in downtown Buffalo late Wednesday night.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-sabres-interview-bylsma-1.293283

I wanted Blashill and would have been OK with Babcock but Bylsma was always a good choice IMO because of his resume, age and personality - for the young core that the Sabres are nurturing, I think he'll be able to relate to them well and vice versa. He also brings some respect to the team with his prior successes (despite what Pittsburgh fans downplay). And as many have said, if Murray deemed him a good fit, I trust his judgment because I really believe he hates losing.

I'll also be relieved that the coaching search will be over and the focus can then shift to the draft and anticipated trading. The next 4 weeks are going to be very interesting.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

So your anti-Bylsma arguments are :

- Bennett, who seems to be the exact same player before and after Bylsma.
- Morrow, who didn't do anything to earn his ice in PIT or BOS.

Sweet. I feel better about this hire already if it happens. :)

Karate Johnson*

So Morrow was "ruined" because he didn't play in the NHL as a 20 year old who was called up once during his first season in the AHL and then traded a month later?

Bps21*

That's my new favorite.

It replaces playing Iginla on the wrong side. Not that without context it doesn't have merit. With the slightest bit of looking though you'll see that Iginla produced at the same level he has for his career averages in both his regular and postseason games while doing it. Quite the feat since his average includes over a decade and a half played as a younger man...or that the very next season his production dropped in Boston. Presumably being used "smarter". Season before in Calgary too. Yep...what a dummy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Talent trumps coaching, IMO.

Bylsma is as good a hire as I could expect at this point. It won't shock me if he's here for 3 or 4 years and the next coach raises the Cup here. It also won't shock me if the talent coming in means that Bylsma is here for 5+ years.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I didn't want him, but the slate is clean for me. If this is the hire, then I'm just going to judge his performance on what he does with the Sabres. I'm not going to judge him on his past performances from the moment he signs with the Sabres and tie it into what he does here.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, can we create a drinking game of whatever coaches we hire press conference:

1) Press asks about Mike Babcock, take a shot
2) Press asks new coach about if how ted nolan was treated affected their decision, take a shot.
3) Battista sighting: 2 shots
4) Battista question: 3 shots
5) Battista questions ACTUALLY ACKNOWLEDGED and RESPONDED to: chug
6) Ted Black visibly sighs and/or facepalms: take a shot
7) Questions about why or why not any member of the pegula family is or isn't there: take a shot
8) Evander Kane question to new coach: take a shot
9) Tim Murray death stare following a question: two shots
10) Question about season ending press conference: kick a dead horse, take a shot
11) Mike Gilbert has to interrupt press questions to keep people on topic of new coach hire: take a shot
12) Terry, Ted, or Tim references "talking to your boss" when speaking to any TBN reporter: Take a shot
13) Any TBN reporter asks thinly veiled, two/three part questions which will obviously be used as ammo for a hilariously bad attack column the next week: 2 shots.

Pretty sure this will get everyone drunk.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
So we hired a coach that can't develop youth, make adjustments, motivate players, and sticks to a complex system even when it doesn't work.

That coach also happens to have 100+ point seasons every year, 63% winning percentage, and a Stanley Cup after beating Mike Babcock and a loaded Red Wings team.

I think the hyperbole on this guy is out of control. Check the Pittsburgh board, they are saying Jack Eichel will be a fourth liner under Bylsma...

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I didn't want him, but the slate is clean for me. If this is the hire, then I'm just going to judge his performance on what he does with the Sabres. I'm not going to judge him on his past performances from the moment he signs with the Sabres and tie it into what he does here.

This is where I'm at. Whats the point in bemoaning it before we see what he does in Buffalo?

And my problem isn't necessarily with Bylsma or how he has coached, its purely the thought that he may have somewhat underachieved with that team he had in Pitt.

I've never been a big name guy, I don't need someone to have proven they can win in the position before we find them. I just want the right guy for our situation. I don't really have a compelling reason to believe that Bylsma wouldn't be that guy, or that someone else would definitely be better.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
As a coach, I am taking a wait and see approach.

As a person, he is very likable. If you can find it and haven't seen it, go watch the HBO 24/7 special on the Capitals / Penguins winter classic.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I'm 100% aligned with you.

I didn't want him at all
I don't like anything he's DONE as a coach in the past
But going forward I will only judge him on what he does NOW as coach of the Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad