Coaching is a serious problem.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Maybe showing us that as professional hockey players they can string two consecutive passes together to break the neutral zone?
That's because their positioning as a unit is all wrong. They are supposed to play 2-1-2 going by Laval. But more often then not looks like 1-1-1-1 (don't ask where the 5th player is, I don't think he knows either). Habs stretch way too much, on all direction.

They also force the pass in the neutral zone way too much.

Reactions: Habano and Rapala

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
How are you guys still here after the jre: trump podcast just got released
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll pass, rather watch the first 11 minutes of the habs rangers game on a loop while listening to Roseann Barr whale out the national anthem on full blast.

That's because their positioning as a unit is all wrong. They are supposed to play 2-1-2 going by Laval. But more often then not looks like 1-1-1-1 (don't ask where the 5th player is, I don't think he knows either). Habs stretch way too much, on all direction.

Maybe the coach should the have them work on that!

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Exactly we are going into year three of it now and from where I sit it hasn't really worked.
But that isn't on coaching when talking about or dealing with concepts or modern hockey. :dunno:

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I’m not calling for St. Louis to get fired right this moment but one of the most important things I think they need to do during this rebuild is break the language barrier for head coaches. It’s going to cripple any success we have in the future. We can’t keep playing with a handicap to 31 other teams.
As a frenchy here...I could not agree more. We have had bad coaches as a result of this for some time now. The media will get over it...it has to happen. Been saying this for a while.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Exactly we are going into year three of it now and from where I sit it hasn't really worked.
But that isn't on coaching when talking about or dealing with concepts or modern hockey. :dunno:
2-1-2 is pretty basic and the players should have been doing it since they were teenagers.

Reactions: Rapala

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I’m not calling for St. Louis to get fired right this moment but one of the most important things I think they need to do during this rebuild is break the language barrier for head coaches. It’s going to cripple any success we have in the future. We can’t keep playing with a handicap to 31 other teams.

So you're advocating for an non-French speaking coach regardless of aptitude.
Bravo.

Plenty of teams make a point of not hiring French-speaking coaches and end up playing under their roster capacity -- the Toronto Maple Leafs being a prime example.

(For the record, I was advocating for Jon Cooper in like 2012 before he even had a stint in the NHL, so don't play the "you mean close-minded French card" to me)

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I wouldn't give a hoot what language the coach speaks but if you're not from the city, all I'll say is just shut up. It's not your place. And I'm not a white-Franco (albeit I am Franco and from the city).

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
13 out of the 32 coachs have a french name but only a handle consider themselfs french.

Brind'Amour - French
Montgomery - Part French
Richardson - Part French
Lalonde - French
Maurice - French
St. Louis - French
Brunette - French
Roy - French
Laviolette - French ..... Bro..
Bannister - French
Berube - French
Tourigny - French
Tocchet - French

The math isn't mathing.

I guess the people here are afraid of assimilation because they've seen it happen right in front of their eyes?

Just my 2 cents

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Bravo.

Plenty of teams make a point of not hiring French-speaking coaches and end up playing under their roster capacity -- the Toronto Maple Leafs being a prime example.

(For the record, I was advocating for Jon Cooper in like 2012 before he even had a stint in the NHL, so don't play the "you mean close-minded French card" to me)
It's such a non issue I laughed like hell the other night when some journalist was advocating for more Franco assistants.
Bruno Gervais cut him off saying it's irrelevant Hockey Business behind closed doors is always conducted in English.
I mean seriously. Nobody complains when Marc Denis does his interviews in English and then simply translates after the fact.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I remember how badly Randy Cunneyworth was treated when they made him interim coach, he never coached again and it was through no fault of his own.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I remember how badly Randy Cunneyworth was treated when they made him interim coach, he never coached again and it was through no fault of his own.

He was also a terrible coach, which is a much better explanation as to why he didn't get another coach gig.

It's such a non issue I laughed like hell the other night when some journalist was advocating for more Franco assistants.
Bruno Gervais cut him off saying it's irrelevant Hockey Business behind closed doors is always conducted in English.
I mean seriously. Nobody complains when Marc Denis does his interviews in English and then simply translates after the fact.
There was only one person advocating for a "linguistically" specific type of coach, and it's the guy who wanted the next coach to be non-French speaking.

I'm still not exactly sure what Trevor Letowski does behind the bench. Is he the lone Non-French assistant?

As far as I know, there's only 3 Queb/French speaking head coaches in the NHL as we speak : St-Louis, Roy and Tourigny. Not counting Montgomery for the purposes of the exercice (he's totally quebecois and does speak some French as far as I know) I'm not sure there's a lot of inefficiency here -- 3 makes sense, considering the space held by Quebec in North American hockey. Could be a bit higher, but it does not really have to.

It's all about market inefficiencies.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Nope. Deal with it and find a way.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
As a frenchy here...I could not agree more. We have had bad coaches as a result of this for some time now. The media will get over it...it has to happen. Been saying this for a while.
It’s not so much that the coaches were consistently bad, it’s that most of them were pretty similar or on their second tenure. Rehiring coaches really shows that they are reaching.

I wouldn’t have minded bringing back Vigneault, though.

They finally have a players coach after years of grouchy guys. Now they need a technical coach, something they haven’t had since Vigneault.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Bravo.

That is not what I’m saying at all. If we’re in a situation where we’re talking about recycling coaches like Michel Therrien again, we should be looking elsewhere. The talent for coaches that are French is too small to be limited ourselves to only them.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
At this point why don't we waive the veterans that clearly don't give a f anymore. If Dvorak and Anderson don't want to give 100% effort, send them to Laval. They are beyond sunk cost level. Give a shot to ABB and Roy at least they'll somewhat care.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Bravo.

Maybe I'm missing the point but are you suggesting the leafs go out of their way to make sure their coach doesn't speak French?

Whether it's the leafs or anyone else, I don't think anyone cares whether a coach happens to speak French as long as they know English. The exception is probably Pittsburgh when they hired hlinka, who I believe knew zero French and extremely limited English.

As far as the language barrier goes, I think the organization took some positive steps in hiring merit over language with the way they brought in Jeff gorton. So maybe that is an indication thay they will get creative in hiring merit over language behind the bench as well at some point.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I personally think it's more an effort problem than a sense one.
Either way and I don't think the Hybrid System is as easy as is being made out.
It's the primary responsibility of the coaching staff to get the effort out of the players.
Those who can't or don't get fired ..
It isn't something Marty has struggled with in the past which is why it seems like something is wrong.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's the primary responsibility of the coaching staff to get the effort out of the players.
It isn't something Marty has struggled with in the past which is why it seems like something is wrong.
We are slowly watching MSL slowly imploding. I don't wish it, I just think it's happening.
The Cumbaya era is over

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's also not super complex or something that players haven't seen or played in throughout their amateur and professional careers.

But just like anything else in life if you stop doing something only to return to it a few years later it takes a bit of time to shake off the rust and get back into the groove. Honestly the biggest fault for MSL is probably that he mishandled training camp and so we are spending these first few weeks shaking working off the hesitancy/rust when ideally that would have happened at TC.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
We are slowly watching MSL slowly imploding. I don't wish it, I just think it's happening.
The Cumbaya era is over
Frankly, the Cumbaya era should be over.

In yr 3/4 or the rebuild it is perfectly acceptable to raise the expectations and demand more from the GM, coach, and players.

I think some on here would be perfectly comfortable drafting top 10 for many years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad