Coaching is a serious problem.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
If we continue playing as disorganized as we have, I think a coaching change could happen. The team doesn't look like a team right now.

We might need to bring in a experienced assistant to help out.

Reactions: mdk and Skala24

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think he needs a better assistant coach staff. All three of them had no coaching experience before 2021. I get why they did that to prevent dinosaur influence but I'm sure there's an experienced coach out there that isn't going to try and sabotage msl to get the gig for themselves.

Reactions: Skala24

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I think he needs a better assistant coach staff. All three of them had no coaching experience before 2021. I get why they did that to prevent dinosaur influence but I'm sure there's an experienced coach out there that isn't going to try and sabotage msl to get the gig for themselves.
First of all we need a PP coach. That can't be negotiable. MSL is threading water and he doesn't need to deal with that type of micro-managment too. GM needs to force one on him. And if Burrows wasn't doing the PP, he also needs to be replaced for whatever he was doing too.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Armia on the second line is a serious problem. A healthy Dach could carry him but…
So is that fact a player problem or a coaching problem?

I agree that Armia should not be on the 2nd line. He is perfect for the 3rd. Try Heineman with Dach & Newhook.. Or mix the 1st with the 2nd line

Also, we were all ready to burn Burrows at the stake for the way the PP stunk. Why do we have to be patient now that MSL is coaching it? The rebuild excuse didn't count for Burrows? Wasn't it more of a rebuild last year or the year before when Burrows coached the PP?

The team has played atrociously and the only reason they have 4 points is because Montembeault has done his best Price imitation. If they played decently - not necessarily well but just decently - very few would be complaining. But they have been horrible and the coach has done nothing to shake things up. So, yeah, Marty is responsible for what we see on the ice.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Thank god that’s our only problem

I just think coaching is a big scapegoat for glaring lineup issues a lot of the time, but even more so now

John Cooper comes in tomorrow and tells our first line "hey have you tried being able to handle the puck for more than a second without losing it to any semblance of pressure?" or maybe tells Matheson "hey have you tried aiming for the net?"

we can fire St-Louis if it makes sense but I think people are in full copium if they think we don't have a lack of talent first and foremost, you shouldn't have to coach plays bantam B are making on the daily

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I just think coaching is a big scapegoat for glaring lineup issues a lot of the time, but even more so now

John Cooper comes in tomorrow and tells our first line "hey have you tried being able to handle the puck for more than a second without losing it to any semblance of pressure?" or maybe tells Matheson "hey have you tried aiming for the net?"

we can fire St-Louis if it makes sense but I think people are in full copium if they think we don't have a lack of talent first and foremost, you shouldn't have to coach plays bantam B are making on the daily
For sure but the complete lack of any system is not helping

Our team doesn’t even forecheck

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I watched Philadelphia last night, Michkov looked better at running a PP than our top-5 regulars. There's nothing to teach our regulars. They don't have the innate skills that take a lifetime to mature. Maybe Hutson might play that role. Maybe we'll need to wait next season.
Well Michkov was basically projected as a ppg forward in his draft year , nobody on the team has that pedigree , maybe Demidov can be that guy god knows , Lane definitely has 'it'. And Patrick is sorely missed even if he never played a game here

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Sure and I'm not married to MSL, but the elephant in the room is that our bottom-9 might be the worst in the league, our Ds make too many stick skill related blunders and low IQ decisions and our goaltending is a mystery.
I agree with your assessment on talent but that makes it even more important to have some sort of D structure, they have none.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So is that fact a player problem or a coaching problem?
It’s a roster problem.

We knew depth was an issue coming into the season. That’s part of the reason they got Laine. And apart from him, the only other guy we’ve got who’s talented enough for the top six is Joshua Roy. And unfortunately- Roy shat the bed in camp and was rightly sent down.

So now it’s Armia or Gallagher or Anderson… not great options. As I said, I hope we bring back Roy quickly. I think he’s the right guy for the second line - but even if they do bring him back, there’s no guarantee he’d even play on the second line.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Any decent NHL coach can teach a team how to play without the puck.

Bring in a pee week coach, surround him with inexperience assistants and what you get is a team that is completely lost when they don’t have the puck.

Lack of talent doesn’t help but adding inexperienced coaching just makes it a whole lot worse.

Stand by my statement, they have the worst coaching staff in the league.

In the mix for lottery ball, all in!

Reactions: Paddyjack

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Any decent NHL coach can teach a team how to play without the puck.

Bring in a pee week coach, surround him with inexperience assistants and what you get is a team that is completely lost when they don’t have the puck.

Lack of talent doesn’t help but adding inexperienced coaching just makes it a whole lot worse.

In the mix for lottery ball, all in!
It is becoming apparent more and more what you are saying.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
It’s a roster problem.

We knew depth was an issue coming into the season. That’s part of the reason they got Laine. And apart from him, the only other guy we’ve got who’s talented enough for the top six is Joshua Roy. And unfortunately- Roy shat the bed in camp and was rightly sent down.

So now it’s Armia or Gallagher or Anderson… not great options. As I said, I hope we bring back Roy quickly. I think he’s the right guy for the second line - but even if they do bring him back, there’s no guarantee he’d even play on the second line.
Has Roy earned the right to come back? I haven't seen him play in Laval this year, has his game gotten better since being demoted?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Has Roy earned the right to come back? I haven't seen him play in Laval this year, has his game gotten better since being demoted?
He’ll have to earn it. So he might not be back for a while.

In the meantime, it’s not a great group of options.

Reactions: Deebs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't buy the "it's a young team" excuse. They're young but they're not inexperienced. It's time to play serious hockey.

The GM has taken steps to put together what could be a serious team. The players and coaches have to do their part.

I saw on /r/habs (not sure why I bother lurking there) a pathetic whiny plea to stop "attacking" Suzuki. How low are standards, really? It's time to play to win.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't buy the "it's a young team" excuse. They're young but they're not inexperienced. It's time to play serious hockey.

The GM has taken steps to put together what could be a serious team. The players and coaches have to do their part.

I saw on /r/habs (not sure why I bother lurking there) a pathetic whiny plea to stop "attacking" Suzuki. How low are standards, really? It's time to play to win.
What steps has the GM taken, really?

Laine is the only NHL player he's added since trading for Matheson?

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Watching how they play without the puck, are you seriously going to tell me they are well coached?

Rebuild has nothing to do with it. This team is lost in its own end, and it ain’t getting better.

Sucking at defense is exactly what rebuilding looks like. Younger players almost always struggle with the defensive side of the game. We have a young defense and still need to incorporate two more youngsters in Reinbacher and Mailloux in the future.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Sucking at defense is exactly what rebuilding looks like. Younger players almost always struggle with the defensive side of the game. We have a young defense and still need to incorporate two more youngsters in Reinbacher and Mailloux in the future.
Yes, mistakes happen but teams have system and this team doesnt.

Positive Vibes

Habs4Life
Jun 24, 2016
Canada
The PK has been really good and the PP would probably improve if they just shot the puck more rather than passing it around the perimeter.

The Defensive zone is a absolute mess and needs to be the focus of every practice they have.
i Have Faith in MSL but its only going to get harder for him as they try to get better and actually have expectation on improvement for this season and onward.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Oh leave it already and go cheer for the Sabres. This team has been bottom 5 since 2016, how hard is it to demand that we don't hire Ralf Kruger 2.0.
We haven't been rebuilding since 2016 , why are you changing the timeline to be up in arms and mad. If in your mind the team has been rebuilding for 8 years that's a you problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad