Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would have caved for Zadorov

Just grant a compliance buy out every 5yrs rather than a lock out trying to claw back contract years.

Last edited:
Reactions: PavelBure10

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess every season is different, and you just never know until they start playing the games.

I actually figured that Allvin had a solid off-season, adding the guys that he did for a minimal amount of money.

But only four games in, and Sprong and Desharnais have each been scratched twice. And Heinen may as as well be, for all he's producing right now. DeBrusk is trying, but appears totally snake-bitten at the moment and really isn't doing much on Pettersson's line,

Forbort and Lankinen are probably the best 'adds', but even they have their limitations. Still lots of time to sort it out.....but so far the UFA class of 2024 is more than a little 'underwhelming'.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Funny that so many people are talking up Lindholm now when the main story with him was how much he was underperforming going into the playoffs.

Pettersson has a much better chance of living up to his contract than Lindholm and Zadorov do.

Oh, I agree. I was mostly messing around with the "what if". And more so on defense then anything else. If Petey can get going, it really isn't a conversation he's the better gamble. So I can't fault management for taking said gamble.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Even when Joshua is back, we may need to acquire a forward.

I don't know how much of an appetite Tocchet is going to have for putting Sprong into the lineup going forward.

It would have been nice if someone from the farm solidified their spot but that doesn't look like it's happening, either.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
what if vancouver didnt resign myers let him walk. go after any of walker/montour right handed dman younger and durable. then still have enough money to fill out the roster with the depth signings.

hughes/hronek
soucy/montour
ufa/deharnais/ufa.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Zadorov spent virtually the entire last season below Soucy on the depth chart so I don't know how that's his floor.

Well Soucy spent half the season injured so I'm not sure you can really say that. At the end of the day their average ice time in the regular season was close to identical. To be clear, I'm not saying Zadorov's floor is better than Soucy in every aspect. I would give the edge defensively to Soucy in that case. But Zadorov does skate better, is more physically intimidating with his hits, and is better at chipping in offensively.

The comparison was made because many of us here (me included) thinks Soucy is good for his cap hit. Zadorov has a solid track record of being a good 3rd pairing defenseman in the league to the point that it's reasonable to expect him to continue being one at the very least. He also does have a history of strong playoff perfomances. So in a rising cap environment, I think his floor value would be a bit more than what we're paying Soucy.

Not every overpayment is the same. Good examples are Duchene and Tavares. At $8M AAV nobody wanted Duchene. But he was bought out coming off a 22 goal 56 point season. Tavares coming off a 29 goal 65 point season is untradeable at 11M AAV.

But let's not get lost in the weeds here. In terms of justifying their respective contracts, Zadorov just needs to make up the gap between say $3.5M to $5M AAV as a defensemen with his combination of size and tools. Lindholm is at $7.75M AAV coming off a season no where near Miller's (who is at $8M) but more importantly, Lindholm will be 36 for the majority of his last contractual year while Zadorov will 34. I say this as a big fan of Lindholm. But Lindholm is coming off 22 goal 64 point and 15 goal 44 point seasons. In contrast, Miller when he signed his extension was coming off a 32 goal 99 point season with his previous two seasons at a 70+ points over 82 games pace. But a 2nd line C producing at a 20+ goal 60+ point pace with Lindholm's defensive, special teams, and faceoff abilities can justify a contract worth ~$6M AAV +/-. In the right environment and deployment can Lindholm be a ~$6M player? I think so, at least for the next few years.

Petey currently has the 5th highest cap hit in the league. He needs to be one of the league's best players to justify his contract. Considering how bad Petey can be, I don't know how you can think that Petey "has a much better chance of living up to his contract than Lindholm and Zadorov" Petey is making $11.6M AAV. Like Horvat is making $8.5M AAV and he put up 33 goals and 68 points last year. Do you think Horvat is overpaid?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
what if vancouver didnt resign myers let him walk. go after any of walker/montour right handed dman younger and durable. then still have enough money to fill out the roster with the depth signings.

hughes/hronek
soucy/montour
ufa/deharnais/ufa.
Montour? The guy that signed in Seattle for 7x$7M+? That wasn’t a realistic option.

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
Anyone have thoughts on maybe having a talk with our expansion cousins in a few more games. The Sabres have, again, started poorly and after making some offseason moves maybe looking for a major change in their room. If they continue to lose, is there any chance in ideally getting Dahlin or Power (a 1st and Willander or Lekk and sth else?) or maybe Byram, Joki and Samuelsson? I do believe our forwards will come around but maybe add to our D if Buffalo continues to fade?

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Anyone have thoughts on maybe having a talk with our expansion cousins in a few more games. The Sabres have, again, started poorly and after making some offseason moves maybe looking for a major change in their room. If they continue to lose, is there any chance in ideally getting Dahlin or Power (a 1st and Willander or Lekk and sth else?) or maybe Byram, Joki and Samuelsson? I do believe our forwards will come around but maybe add to our D if Buffalo continues to fade?
The cap is the issue.

Cozens, Byram, and Tuch are the only guys I’d be interested in. Power is $8M, and Dahlin would cost a fortune + his cap.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The cap is the issue.

Cozens, Byram, and Tuch are the only guys I’d be interested in. Power is $8M, and Dahlin would cost a fortune + his cap.

Pettersson and Myers for Dahlin.

The centerpiece of the deal is actually Myers as he actually gets to end his career in Buffalo.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
5 years 4.6-5M would’ve been absolutely fine.

I don’t get how you give Myers a 3 year NMC that takes him to 37 but can’t give a 28/29 year old Zadorov an extra year.

Terrible mistake. Aside from Suter, Blueger, and Cole, I think Allvin’s free agent decisions have been dogshit.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's been four games.

I was extremely pleased with Allvin's offseason (aside from 3 years for Myers). Still am. BOS fans are already fed up with Z's penalties. Allvin had a firm line on Big Z and held it. Right decision.

Debrusk has played well overall (my thoughts more detailed in the Debrusk thread). Just snakebit. Heinen I noticed running the right routes on the forecheck and backcheck. He's basically the pure winger version of Suter. But he's a complementary player, and he's not going to score when the guy he's supposed to be complementing is cold (Petey) or when he's on an all-utility player line with Suter and Aman.

Sherwood has shown some speed and jam. Yeah, would like some offense, but I think it'll come and he's cheap. Sprong has been exactly as expected. He's a sub-$1M deal. Doesn't really matter.

The only one that looks bad so far is Desharnais. But again, it's been four games and he's played two.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's been four games.

I was extremely pleased with Allvin's offseason (aside from 3 years for Myers). Still am. BOS fans are already fed up with Z's penalties. Allvin had a firm line on Big Z and held it. Right decision.

Debrusk has played well overall (my thoughts more detailed in the Debrusk thread). Just snakebit. Heinen I noticed running the right routes on the forecheck and backcheck. He's basically the pure winger version of Suter. But he's a complementary player, and he's not going to score when the guy he's supposed to be complementing is cold (Petey) or when he's on an all-utility player line with Suter and Aman.

Sherwood has shown some speed and jam. Yeah, would like some offense, but I think it'll come and he's cheap. Sprong has been exactly as expected. He's a sub-$1M deal. Doesn't really matter.

The only one that looks bad so far is Desharnais. But again, it's been four games and he's played two.

Forbort?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think I've watched him closely enough to have a decent opinion. I've made more of an effort to watch other guys.

But he's a cheap guy meant to be a #6. Like, how bad does he have to be to come in "below" expectations?

Game 01 was pretty atrocious but was fine afterwards. Was worse than I thought he’d be in that game.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
You’d have to replace Heinen on the roster too so add another ~$1 million.

Realistically re-signing Zadorov would have meant him plus two ~$1 million players ($7 million) instead of Myers, Desharnais, and Heinen ($7.25 million).

Can see an argument that would have been preferable but it would have materially hurt the team’s depth.

looking at the upcoming UFA market (ie. who can be added at the deadline), i think the right decision was made

the best available wingers will be guys like hall and mangiapane... maybe a couple of older players with two years left on bad teams like tarasenko, saad, or zuccarello shake loose, but no one that would really be a bonafide top line winger is readily apparent.

but on defense, guys like chychrun, pettersson, provorov, gavrikov, and dumoulin could all be on the move at the deadline. i'd rather have the space cap and roster wise to add one of them and hope that one of the glut of heinen/sprong/suter/sherwood gets hot at the right time over consolidating a couple of those guys into taylor hall.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
$9.75M for Desharnais, Forbort, Heinen Sprong, Myers

IMO, that’s just terrible. That cap could’ve been put to better use. The only real upside I see is maybe Desharnais. And Myers 3 year NMC is really really bad.
I wanted Zaradov signed before anyone else.The Canucks where so focused on trying to get Guentzel and ended up with a bunch of left overs.Debrusk has not really shown me anything .Sherwood is OK.The rest are gabage.Sprong should be waived.Not really a good off season ufa wise.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I wish we still had Zadorov. With Willander coming soon that would have solidified our top 4 for years. It would be a risk with his past history but when was the last time a defenseman came on our team and was such a fan favourite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad