Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Can you read anything into the firebirds being top just now? Are all those teams in the division affiliated with an NHL team?

Is it just a team full of really good Ahl'ers or are there some hidden gem NHL prospects?

I guess anyone called up right now is full of confidence no matter how good or bad they are at the NHL level.

I was at the kraken iceplex a few weeks back and they were giving out firebird hats and kraken water bottles which was pretty cool.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems like the Firebirds are a financial success story as well.

From Friedman's 32 thoughts article.
Speaking of the AHL, it appears Henderson (Las Vegas) and Coachella Valley (Seattle) have been as impactful in that league’s revenues as their parent teams are in the NHL. Strong additions.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Which of our prospects do we think make it to the AHL next year from juniors?

- Shane Wright
- Jacob Melanson
- Ryan Winterton
- Kyle Jackson

I think Wright and Melanson are close to being locks. Winterton should make it but I am not sure how much injury has hurt his development. Not certain about Jackson.

Doubt anyone from D makes over unless we feel Ottavainen is served better in his development to come to NA instead of playing in the Liiga.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Which of our prospects do we think make it to the AHL next year from juniors?

- Shane Wright
- Jacob Melanson
- Ryan Winterton
- Kyle Jackson

I think Wright and Melanson are close to being locks. Winterton should make it but I am not sure how much injury has hurt his development. Not certain about Jackson.

Doubt anyone from D makes over unless we feel Ottavainen is served better in his development to come to NA instead of playing in the Liiga.

Wright can't. Not enough seasons isn't 20 yet.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Based on some of the folks on the main board, who are more knowledgeable than me, that is not the case because, technically, this is his 4th season in juniors (including the one with the cancellation) and he should be eligible.

I don't see how a canceled season should count.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's not the fault of the prospects that it happened. Not like they canceled the draft and/or the NHL season.

Also, they did count the WHL and Q. Makes sense to count it because otherwise, you are just singling out the OHL here.

WHL and the Q both played their league calender year season in some form. ohl didn't even have a season. Unless the OHL/CHL says anything regarding that canceled season still counting anyways, i'm not going to assume it'll actually counts.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Did you even read my post above?
yes i did. Did you read mine. Both WHL and the Qjmhl both had a season of some sort with games played. OHL did not. The issue is its what counts for a player having a jr major season being on the roster while playing games or on the roster itself.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
yes i did. Did you read mine. Both WHL and the Qjmhl both had a season of some sort with games played. OHL did not. The issue is its what counts for a player having a jr major season being on the roster while playing games or on the roster itself.
And I already mentioned that in my original post that I do realize there was a missed season. However, the understanding is that it still counts as a season because it would be unfair to single out OHL players who missed that season for no fault(s) of their own.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And I already mentioned that in my original post that I do realize there was a missed season. However, the understanding is that it still counts as a season because it would be unfair to single out OHL players who missed that season for no fault(s) of their own.

I just haven't see the OHL or the CHL mention anything about it still counting at all. We are just going have to wait and find out.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I see they are 2 points behind first with about 5 games in hand so they seem pretty damn good.

How are they good at this level in year 1 given we've only had 2 drafts? Did they just spend a lot on good AHL level players with less upside or is there some that could do well at NHL level that we didn't draft?

Maritime Hockey

Aug 14, 2021
NB,NS,PEI
Just recently sat down with Firebirds forward Luke Henman!

We're looking forward to watching Coachella Valley make a deep run in the Calder Cup playoffs, and we wish Luke and the rest of the Firebirds the best of luck this year 👊.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I see they are 2 points behind first with about 5 games in hand so they seem pretty damn good.

How are they good at this level in year 1 given we've only had 2 drafts? Did they just spend a lot on good AHL level players with less upside or is there some that could do well at NHL level that we didn't draft?
More the former than the latter. The Firebirds roster is full of very capable AHL level players and a few tweeners, guys that at their best are too good for the AHL but not quite good enough for the NHL. It’s more a recipe for AHL success than prospect development, as like you point out the Kraken have only had two drafts, and thus a shallower prospect pool.

Reactions: fivehole32

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I'm a Kings fan, but a STH for the Firebirds since I live here in the Palm Springs area. Couldn't agree more than what @Kevinsane said. The management did a good job of picking up some nice AHL players to make a successful first year. My concern gong in was that most good prospects would be up in Seattle immediately.

Its been a fun season, and I hope they do well in the playoffs, but I fear that Tucson is going to get an influx of talent from the Coyotes that may make it tougher matchup than what it was all year. Also Daccord's play vs Dreiger and Gibson is night and day. he definitely is a difference maker.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Next season is going to be interesting with the Firebirds. They are likely to get an influx of young talent:

Shane Wright
Logan Morrison
Ryan Winterton
Jacob Melanson
Tucker Robertson (needs to be signed)
Kyle Jackson (needs to be signed)

I am uncertain of the last 2 but fairly certain that the top-4 will spend a good amount of time in the AHL. Hoping Wright proves me wrong and can adjust to the NHL quicker next season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Next season is going to be interesting with the Firebirds. They are likely to get an influx of young talent:

Shane Wright
Logan Morrison
Ryan Winterton
Jacob Melanson
Tucker Robertson (needs to be signed)
Kyle Jackson (needs to be signed)

I am uncertain of the last 2 but fairly certain that the top-4 will spend a good amount of time in the AHL. Hoping Wright proves me wrong and can adjust to the NHL quicker next season.

Its still unknown regarding wright Sound of hockey talked about his situation on this last podcast and its totally up in the air what happens. They mention that wright only played 24 games in the OHl this year and it needs to be 25 for it to count as a season so technically wright only played 2 full seasons.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Its still unknown regarding wright Sound of hockey talked about his situation on this last podcast and its totally up in the air what happens. They mention that wright only played 24 games in the OHl this year and it needs to be 25 for it to count as a season so technically wright only played 2 full seasons.
I am not 100% certain either but I have read in multiple places that he is eligible for the AHL.

Either way, my main point is that we are getting a good influx of talent on the Firebirds next season.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Could Wright fulfill the 10 game requirement in NHLto burn first year of ELC and the Kraken could then send him to the AHL? This is going off the assumption that he would not be AHL eligible otherwise due to CHL rules or would he have to stay in NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad