Trade: [CLE/HOU] Deshaun Watson (signs 5 years, $230M) and 2024 5th for 2022, 2023, and 2024 1sts, 2023 3rd, 2024 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Of course. Not one person expected Watson to fall from where he was on the Texans to the entirely useless guy he is now.
Gotta just take that L, man. Yikes.

Watson is… not great. In his defense, he played a crazy defense being dubbed as “The Doomsday D”. Cowboys got at him every angle. The game plan was clearly to move the ball out of his hands within a couple seconds.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gotta just take that L, man. Yikes.

Watson is… not great. In his defense, he played a crazy defense being dubbed as “The Doomsday D”. Cowboys got at him every angle. The game plan was clearly to move the ball out of his hands within a couple seconds.
It will be an L for the browns. $172 mill to allocate against the cap with Watson after this season.

Sadly, because the deal is fully guaranteed, vs just the first 3 years which is the typical number, there's no way out. Normally, Cle would have to cut him in March 2025 and then eat the $80 milll (ala Den with Russ) over 2025 and 2026 (meaning they'd need a cheap QB option) to get through that dead cap. Not an option for them unless this most recent allegation against him leads to something that would void the contract.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JimmyApples

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There is a silver lining here; IF (and that's a big if) for some reason Watson didn't disclose this as part of the prior lawsuits or god forbid, this is a new incident, the Browns may have cause to terminate the scumf***'s contract.

His contract specifically states that they can't void the contract for any legal issues from any actions prior to his trade. As far as i know it doesn't say anything about after.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There is a silver lining here; IF (and that's a big if) for some reason Watson didn't disclose this as part of the prior lawsuits or god forbid, this is a new incident, the Browns may have cause to terminate the scumf***'s contract.

His contract specifically states that they can't void the contract for any legal issues from any actions prior to his trade. As far as i know it doesn't say anything about after.
The attack happened when he was still a Texan, so I don't think there is any out here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The attack happened when he was still a Texan, so I don't think there is any out here.

I believe I've read that there's a clause in the contract that failure to disclose information at time of signing would be grounds for termination?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
this is not a new person, is it?

I seem to remember that he hadn’t settled with all of the suits. But no way I’m going back through the dumpster waste to find that out. I’ll wait for someone to tell me.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
this is not a new person, is it?

I seem to remember that he hadn’t settled with all of the suits. But no way I’m going back through the dumpster waste to find that out. I’ll wait for someone to tell me.
This one is a new anccuser and new lawsuit.

You’re right that he does still have a lawsuit outstanding. I believe all but one of his original accusers settled with him. One refused and still has a lawsuit ongoing.

Reactions: LT and GKJ

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Stefanski obviously isn't one the people who gave him that deal, but it does make you wonder what's going to come of this.

Wouldn't shock me if the Browns are reading every letter of that contract to find an out.
No question they have their legal team and CBA experts on it now. If this latest allegation was one of the cases he listed, then the discussion is over and the Browns are on the hook for the balance of the contract. If it wasn't, then it opens up the potential.... But, doesn't guarantee that they can do anything about the deal yet.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
No question they have their legal team and CBA experts on it now. If this latest allegation was one of the cases he listed, then the discussion is over and the Browns are on the hook for the balance of the contract. If it wasn't, then it opens up the potential.... But, doesn't guarantee that they can do anything about the deal yet.
I read it as " disclosure " is a potential way out , I'd be looking for that rip cord too.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
What's crazy is this guy was the most athletic QB in the league not named Lamar and that shit seems to have completly vanished in the ether, dude barely looks like he can move anymore.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
What's crazy is this guy was the most athletic QB in the league not named Lamar and that shit seems to have completly vanished in the ether, dude barely looks like he can move anymore.

his muscles are probably all tight and lethargic since he had to give up his massage routine, everyone likes to make the rub & tug jokes, but what if that was the reason he was actually a pro-bowl caliber QB?

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Watson has been very mediocre at the helm for the Browns. Hope it was worth it to trade for that molester (allegedly)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
his muscles are probably all tight and lethargic since he had to give up his massage routine, everyone likes to make the rub & tug jokes, but what if that was the reason he was actually a pro-bowl caliber QB?
Yeah, but all jokes aside, he had an ACL tear in college and another in the NFL as a rookie. When he returned he was still mobile. But, has not shown that ability in Cleveland.

End of the day Cleveland is stuck. Seems like they are the Bears during Grossman/Trubisky, Texans during Watt's prime at QB, with an top level Defence and getting very little help at the QB position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad