Trade: [CLE/HOU] Deshaun Watson (signs 5 years, $230M) and 2024 5th for 2022, 2023, and 2024 1sts, 2023 3rd, 2024 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Watson could have settled 18 cases for only $100k each. Now he's gonna pay millions in lawyer fees, court costs, and settlements. Even if he's found innocent of criminal charges, there will be civil lawsuits. I can see this whole thing costing him $30M long term plus 26 separate criminal and civil lawsuits could easily take decades to settle which ends his NFL career.

Nice signing Browns. Idk why they signed him and aren't trying to get out of this stupid almost a 1/4 B contract.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Watson could have settled 18 cases for only $100k each. Now he's gonna pay millions in lawyer fees, court costs, and settlements. Even if he's found innocent of criminal charges, there will be civil lawsuits. I can see this whole thing costing him $30M long term plus 26 separate criminal and civil lawsuits could easily take decades to settle which ends his NFL career.

Nice signing Browns. Idk why they signed him and aren't trying to get out of this stupid almost a 1/4 B contract.
They signed him because their neighbor down I-71 made the Super Bowl, among other things. AFC North is still ripe for the taking, though I'm confident Cleveland is not a playoff team this year without Watson.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
They signed him because their neighbor down I-71 made the Super Bowl, among other things. AFC North is still ripe for the taking, though I'm confident Cleveland is not a playoff team this year without Watson.
The west likely takes all the wildcards, some good teams miss in the AFC while some trash in the NFC get in ,like Dallas lol.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Bingo.

Cleveland saw Cincinnati make the Super Bowl with Joe Burrow, they saw Baker Mayfield and pretty much gave up on him as they knew he wasn't gonna take them to the promise land.

Although, the Browns pretty much handed Watson a blank check and the owners/GM's around the league are mad at Cleveland for doing that...it wrecks the negotiations for future stars/players that want to make bank.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Per Washington post article NFL is looking for ”signifigant suspension, could be a full season

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think most people would view a year suspension as the bare minimum given the volume of allegations.

Listening to media they’ve been talking a lot about suspension between 4-8 games.

Which would sound awfully low

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Once Magic got $25M for 25 years. His teammates were so mad they called him management.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
He’s not even close to being an elite QB. He will never be looked at as a leader, or even get any respect from his teammates imo. Most people will view him as a sexual predator. I’m not sure what the hell the Browns see in this guy to give him all that coin. Browns will regret this for years, and it will set their organization back for a decade. Same ole Browns I guess.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He’s not even close to being an elite QB. He will never be looked at as a leader, or even get any respect from his teammates imo. Most people will view him as a sexual predator. I’m not sure what the hell the Browns see in this guy to give him all that coin. Browns will regret this for years, and it will set their organization back for a decade. Same ole Browns I guess.

He is elite and I'm fairly certain his teammates will get 'over it' (if many of them truly ever really cared) but I he should be off the field for a long time and I'm curious to see how much time off will effect his play. Vick was out two full years + played one as a backup and balled for a while afterwards but who knows.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Vick also paid his debt back to society and actually was a changed man after his time in prison.

I won't condone what he did, but will acknowledge he earned the right to live normally again.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Vick also paid his debt back to society and actually was a changed man after his time in prison.

I won't condone what he did, but will acknowledge he earned the right to live normally again.

Vick was also less cerebral and more instinctive than Watson (though Watson is more well-rounded) so I feel like Vick may have had an easier time bouncing back. Not sure he needed the reps Watson does to play his game. Guys like him and Allen are pretty much what teams imagined as the perfect new-wave QBs 20 years ago and wanted Vick to be (efficient in all facets of the passing game and dynamic in the running game). Vick had the deep ball and his legs but that's it. He managed better in Philadelphia but that didn't last too long.

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Clearly Watson’s lawyers convinced him that he needs to do his part to try to make the story go away
We were almost at this point a few weeks ago when Watson's confidentiality demands soured settlement talks with these victims. So either Watson dropped those confidentiality demands (because there's not really much more to hide now after the HBO segment and the NYT article) or Watson increased his offer. We'll probably never really learn the answer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We were almost at this point a few weeks ago when Watson's confidentiality demands soured settlement talks with these victims. So either Watson dropped those confidentiality demands (because there's not really much more to hide now after the HBO segment and the NYT article) or Watson increased his offer. We'll probably never really learn the answer.
I kind of feel like it's the former, because I also kind of feel like the more this sits out there, the lengthier his suspension is likely to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad