Proposal: (CLB/MTL) Kent Johnson for Matheson + 2nd 2025 (worse pick PIT/MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I know who Matheson is. I repeat: he adds nothing to our blueline. We have plenty of offensive defensemen. We do not have enough playmaking wingers.
Severson and Provorov with a whopping 30P each.... somethings not working with those 2

but yes I understand you have Jiricek and Mateychuk coming on top of Werenski

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Columbus doesn't need Matheson and Kent Johnson isn't the kind of forward the Habs would be looking for anyway.
I disagree, hed be a relatively cheap signing as an RFA, and would fit on the 2 line wing with Dach and Newhook. Whats not to like?

His -24 stands out like a sore thumb though...
#1 Dman playing 25+ mins/game a one of the league's worst teams will do that. Put him on EDM or COL and suddenly hes +15 or so

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
I disagree, hed be a relatively cheap signing as an RFA, and would fit on the 2 line wing with Dach and Newhook. Whats not to like?

#1 Dman playing 25+ mins/game a one of the league's worst teams will do that. Put him on EDM or COL and suddenly hes +25
Do you think he's getting playing time on the top pairing on those two teams? pp1?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

#1 Dman playing 25+ mins/game a one of the league's worst teams will do that. Put him on EDM or COL and suddenly hes +15 or so
I tend to look at +/- relative to other players of the same position on the same team. His number was an anomaly which is always concerning when viewed from that POV.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
To be charitable, OP's user name explains why he has forgotten this very basic point.
well hes defiintely a massive step up from 37 year old Jack Johnson who may not last 20 games.... Unless Mateychuk makes the team, they do need someone to do better on the PP2 considering how Provorov and Severson only had about 30P each last season.

Im not saying Matheson would get 60 again, but surely more than 30.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
PP2 sure.... doesnt affect his +/- though

Im just making a point about +/- ..... Gaudreau was a +64 three seasons ago, and was a -60 combined the last 2 seasons. I hate the stat.
It's a terrible stat. I just think Matheson gets what he does because it's Montreal and putting him on Edm or Col changes his value that you have for him drastically. If Hutson becomes the new PP1 guy you'd see that as soon as this year. As far as that goes I can understand trading him while his value is where it is, but it's likely to be a trade deadline thing and not for a good young player, even if last season was rough

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I tend to look at +/- relative to other players of the same position on the same team. His number was an anomaly which is always concerning when viewed from that POV.
he also played vastly more minutes than any other Dman.... Hes not the greatest in his own end, Im not debating that. But look at every bottom 6 team's 1D and theyll be in the low minus: Jones, Fowler, Chychrun, Ferraro. Werenski was that only actually decent +/- of 0

would be to help their PP2 and breakout from the backend. Again, didnt seem like Provorov or Severson had good seasons.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
he also played vastly more minutes than any other Dman.... Hes not the greatest in his own end, Im not debating that. But look at every bottom 6 team's 1D and theyll be in the low minus: Jones, Fowler, Chychrun, Ferraro. Werenski was that only actually decent +/- of 0

would be to help their PP2 and breakout from the backend. Again, didnt seem like Provorov or Severson had good seasons.
I'm not even a CBJ fan but they clearly don't need another offensive D who is "not the greatest in his own end". In fact, it would appear they need just the opposite IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad