Confirmed with Link: Chychrun to WSH for Nick Jensen and 2026 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He went for peanuts because he has one year left on his contract and will likely never re-sign with Washington or anyone else. He wants to see free agency next year, so he can test his value then and get a large payout. I am honestly very disappointed in his attitude. His attitude reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau. I hope someone signs him long term for a lot and he shows them what a princess he is.
Funny that 1.5 years ago Chych's main weakness was considered to be his health, so supposedly that yielded a discount. Now that he's finally played a full season, his value plummeted and he went for peanuts.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I think it's a really bad trade. Team won't compete in the next 2 years and Jensen will be 35 after that. On top of which Jensen is just not very good. Honestly seems like he just wanted to get chyc away from the team. I believe he should have done a lot better even if chyc value is not that high.

Reactions: Mookie McGee

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
RHD - check
Defensive D - check
Vet- check
Sweet spot on term with ok value - check
Trading for an actual need for a change - check

Lots of things to like here

More would have been nice but we needed a shakeup and some balance on D. Market is what it is, who knows if we would get more down the line.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Aside, Chychrun was starting to come across as a bit of a an oddball fringe type of personality, not that I would base trades on that unless it affected the locker room

The sad thing is having to trade someone who actually loves Ottawa and would want to be here if he filled a need and was properly slotted. Not too many players passionate about being in Ottawa the city.

Reactions: Flamingo

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Jensen is not the solution we needed at RD. Too old.

The legacy of Dorion lives on and is still alive.
Think short term, rather than long term and this is okay. Jensen only has two years on his contract.

Aside, Chychrun was starting to come across as a bit of a an oddball fringe type of personality, not that I would base trades on that unless it affected the locker room

The sad thing is having to trade someone who actually loves Ottawa and would want to be here if he filled a need and was properly slotted. Not too many players passionate about being in Ottawa the city.
His year end interview turned me off of him.

Reactions: Flamingo

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
He skates well? Why am I remembering him being slower than average?

He used to skate well but I admit I didn't watch him much last year where he apparently experienced a dip in play. I've been following him on and off since his Detroit days and liked his skating. Wanted the Sens to get him when he was available back when Washington got him.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
All we need is Ullmark to leave after this season, and Staios will have been able to do the impossible and make me somehow miss Dorion within less than a year and a half...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He used to skate well but I admit I didn't watch him much last year where he apparently experienced a dip in play. I've been following him on and off since his Detroit days and liked his skating. Wanted the Sens to get him when he was available back when Washington got him.
Defenseman often lose a step at that age, and many 2 steps and it's a steep decline until retirement in a couple years.

It's very rare that defenseman play over 35 years old.

How many D left in the league born before 1988 for example? Gotta be less than 1 per team...if not less. They aren't common because they all stopped playing because they've lost too much speed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All we need is Ullmark to leave after this season, and Staios will have been able to do the impossible and make me somehow miss Dorion within less than a year and a half...
I will never miss Dorion; however, Staios has a LOT of work to do to fix this team.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Defenseman often lose a step at that age, and many 2 steps and it's a steep decline until retirement in a couple years.

It's very rare that defenseman play over 35 years old.

How many D left in the league born before 1988 for example? Gotta be less than 1 per team...if not less. They aren't common because they all stopped playing because they've lost too much speed.
Maybe he lost a step maybe his play dipped on a team experiencing some transition from consistent playoff team to bubble team. I think he still has a good year or two in him. He was very good up to last season. Personally I still like him and don't mind this trade.

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
I think some guys are over reacting on this trade. It was obvious that we will get fleeced on this trade anyways ( Mostly because it was recent acquisition that we paid handsomely ty Dorion ). Chych was being shopped since trade deadline with no so much traction. I think if we get Jensen + 2nd pick we all fine with that . Jensen is obviously just a stop gap here , not long term solution for sure and not the best option as top 4 for sure. But he is cheap and has experience so management was okay for with him filling the hole in the top 4 .
We are slightly better in our zone with this trade but we lost a lot of offense from backend at the same time so it's more a linear move then anything else.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think some guys are over reacting on this trade. It was obvious that we will get fleeced on this trade anyways ( Mostly because it was recent acquisition that we paid handsomely ty Dorion ). Chych was being shopped since trade deadline with no so much traction. I think if we get Jensen + 2nd pick we all fine with that . Jensen is obviously just a stop gap here , not long term solution for sure and not the best option as top 4 for sure. But he is cheap and has experience so management was okay for with him filling the hole in the top 4 .
We are slightly better in our zone with this trade but we lost a lot of offense from backend at the same time so it's more a linear move then anything else.

We have zero offense from the backend lol

Remember when we had 40-50 pts guys in redden and Chara and then secondary guys in the 30-40 point range like Meszaros or Corvo or preissing. And that was in a noticeably lower scoring league.

Our points by our D last year:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A

And sometimes you get the leftovers, which you don't want but need to complete the roster.

This team has not improved.
Ullmark improves the team unless he had a horrible year. But that was priority one. And we improved the position

LMao at the this is all Dorion.

We wanted Chychrun.

Now we don't
We’re fans. Dorion has all the resources on earth to scout players before he acquires them lol

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Not great. Not every move has to be great but he could have been moved later even at TDL and had salary for next year.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Not great. Not every move has to be great but he could have been moved later even at TDL and had salary for next year.
But then we have to put up with another year of Chychrun, rather than trading him for a better and experienced player, with better positional and play style value for us.

Reactions: LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad