Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That one is always the best.
Imagine some scenario, repeat it enough so the others of like mind consider it to be true and proceed to get upset over it. :laugh:

It’s insanity lol. That’s the good and bad part about this place. Great outlet for you to share your thoughts, but we have to realize that’s where the buck stops. 99.9% of what we talk about on here isn’t personally shown to anyone in charge of making decisions. I’m sure members of the leafs lurk on hf boards, Twitter and Reddit to get a general sense of things but they aren’t taking our ideas and implementing them.

Reactions: ACC1224

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
No one is shocked, people are saying that's not a reason for booing him.
Isn't that the point of your topic?
Sorry ACC, I’m having issues replying/posting. Page keeps reloading and I’m seemingly having to re-write everything. Very annoying.

The point of my topic was more to create a dialogue and discuss the Marner situation with leaf fans. I posted it in haste as this site reloads constantly and probably should have added more to the OP.

I’m not actively following Marner home and booing him. I am fed up with him as a player, and I know how we are as fans. Just trying to feel the room temp in here regarding Marner.

There was no I’ll intention on my behalf here.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I would say Shanahan, Pelley and Tre had a lot to do with steering it in that direction.
Once again, management plays everyone for suckers.

I’m sorry but I remember their press conference pretty well. They did not mention Marner as the guy they are looking to for change. So why did everyone assume that? Even after the press conference the vibe I got was JT or Rielly.

Personally I feel like they were wishing they were able to convince Nashville to take on JT’s contract for one year instead of Stamkos going there. I’m sure they would have even retained to make it happen

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I’m sorry but I remember their press conference pretty well. They did not mention Marner as the guy they are looking to for change. So why did everyone assume that? Even after the press conference the vibe I got was JT or Rielly.

Personally I feel like they were wishing they were able to convince Nashville to take on JT’s contract for one year instead of Stamkos going there. I’m sure they would have even retained to make it happen
They did not specifically single out Marner, correct.

But based on contract status it would be strange to think otherwise? I think it’s pretty well known JT will be back on a discount, so I guess your point about Rielly makes sense (and I somewhat agree with you). But I do think they are serious about looking at a Marner deal.

Just saw an interview with everyone’s favourite ex GM, Brian Burke - he said he would look to trade Nylander and keep Mitch. He’s gotta be wrong, right?

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
The media convinced fans that Marner was being traded with all their crap and tweets etc. Talk shows was all about trading Marner.

Why make fans hate a player when Marner holds all the cards? Now that free agency and the draft are over.....the same mediots are saying .... the leafs had no power to trade Marner.

No kidding....he has a NMC

We have no idea what the results will be next year. Every year is a new year. Enjoy the season...we all want the leafs to win but booing a player who wants to be here and has the right not to waive his contract shouldnt be booed .......

Boo the team then.....or management...
I don't know that the media convinced anyone that MM was getting dealt. It's a logical consideration given his performance in the playoffs, him being in the last year of his deal, what would an extension look like and or be worth it, his attitude. If The Leafs wanted to make any meaningful changes, they are limited as to who they can move for value, cap space, or simply change. I really think it is his contract and the evaluation of his play thus far, that initiates this dialogue. Is he someone you want to extend or move on from? If no extension than there is where this train of thought derives from.

Reactions: Bust

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry ACC, I’m having issues replying/posting. Page keeps reloading and I’m seemingly having to re-write everything. Very annoying.

The point of my topic was more to create a dialogue and discuss the Marner situation with leaf fans. I posted it in haste as this site reloads constantly and probably should have added more to the OP.

I’m not actively following Marner home and booing him. I am fed up with him as a player, and I know how we are as fans. Just trying to feel the room temp in here regarding Marner.

There was no I’ll intention on my behalf here.
All good, I get the frustration but at least you remain respectful .
I don't believe he should be singled out for the fans ire, that's all I've ever maintained.

(Try Brave browser, it's the best for this site. )

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's also the difference of watching a 69 point team, vs a team that puts up 100+- points every year. I think I'd rather watch a team win 50+- games a year, vs. a team who wins less than 30. Even if losing in the playoffs sucks a ton.
It all comes down to the sensible use of cap space though, at least I think!

It's possible that the first guy who lined up at the trough shouldn't have asked for money he hadn't yet earned, that thing right there started the insanity that is the current Leafs situation.

In my view it was a basic "F.U." I got mine couldn't care less about the rest of you losers mind set.

It didn't help that the team had chosen the wrong GM at that time, they ended up with a fan in the big chair instead of a hockey man. Shanahan letting him off the leash wasn't to bright either.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The last time I remember the Leaf fans booing a high profile player on their own team, it was Larry Murphy. It taked his trade value, forcing the Leafs to waive him for NOTHING (though I'm sure Detroit loved picking up a top 2 defenseman for free for their B2B Cup runs), and all it really achieved was the Leafs struggling to sign free agents for a few years. But please, let's do that again!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They did not specifically single out Marner, correct.

But based on contract status it would be strange to think otherwise? I think it’s pretty well known JT will be back on a discount, so I guess your point about Rielly makes sense (and I somewhat agree with you). But I do think they are serious about looking at a Marner deal.

Just saw an interview with everyone’s favourite ex GM, Brian Burke - he said he would look to trade Nylander and keep Mitch. He’s gotta be wrong, right?

I don’t know if Burke is right or wrong. Personally if I was GM. I wouldn’t trade any of the three. Keep the talent and keep tinkering. Keep finding good role players. But that’s just me, talent in the NHL is just so hard to acquire. I’d sit pat and reset in 2025 personally. You have a ton of cap space and all your picks back after that year. So you can infuse youth and Marner, Nylander and Matthews are still in their primes with an increasing cap. I’d move off JT and not bring him back even at a discount. I’d also trade Rielly and completely rebuild the defense.

And I think Burke is saying move Nylander because of maybe effort levels. In the back of my mind I am concerned whether Nylander is gonna revert back to old habits now that he got his money. I don’t think Marner ever cheats on effort but he plays very scared in the playoffs and at that time of year, that’s maybe worse. So maybe Burke is thinking Berube will get more out of him like Babcock?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Even if you don't hate Marner personally, it's pretty ridiculous not to "get" the hate by many fans. Have you not been paying attention?

Some fans have felt slighted & disrespected by Marner, going all the way back to the 2019 contract negotiation, where his camp clearly felt like they could use fan emotion as a bargaining tool.

As an extension of that, some fans find his level of play incommensurable relative to the contract, and the manner to which it was signed.

Some other fans can't stand his attitude / petulance, and just generally over-defensive demeanor. This, personally, is the subset of fans that I think are most unreasonable, but there also have been several examples where he just simply hasn't helped himself.

How can you expect a guy that is getting shit on daily on Twitter. He also got car-jacked in broad-daylight(, i don’t think people talk enough about how that affects someone’s day to day interactions with strangers or people you don’t trust enough) to not be defensive. He’s 100% going to be defensive

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This why other players don't want to come play here. Cause this fan base is toxic. We are literally booing a 100 point player and trying run him out of town........ crazy

Booing a guy who negotiated like an asshole and refuses to help the team win

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The other approach is to do what Philly did with Trea Turner and go overboard supporting him and see if that works.

To each their own. I am sure some will boo, others will cheer. It is more on management rhan him for handing him the NMC. I would ask for the same thing.

It does say aomething that he still wants to be here with all that is going on. He is well aware of how people view him, and he still wants to remain a Leaf and try and help the team win

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I'm more of a boo the team guy than boo an individual. We need more from all these guys (especially the core) in big games. Cautiously optimistic CB can get the most out of these guys as the previous two coaches failed miserably (in the playoffs).

Reactions: ACC1224 and Bust

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The person who should be boo’d to the hottest degree should be Shanahan. He’s had 10 years to give us something to cheer about besides high draft picks. One 2nd round appearance, 3 different starting goaltenders in that time, no solidity in net. Our first legit top pairing RHD coming in year 10. That’s atrocious work.

Reactions: Jojalu and ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Different people got different vibes, seems pretty clear. And the word "vibes" makes it clear that nobody knows anything for certain.

I got the vibe that they might try to move Marner myself and I have never felt like they would ask JT or Rielly to waive their NMC's. Seems like many, many people saw it the same way, there's a reason for all the buzz surrounding Marner, it didn't just come out of nowhere.

The person who should be boo’d to the hottest degree should be Shanahan. He’s had 10 years to give us something to cheer about besides high draft picks. One 2nd round appearance, 3 different starting goaltenders in that time, no solidity in net. Our first legit top pairing RHD coming in year 10. That’s atrocious work.
Yup. Remember that presser when he said we were going to find players who would take less to play here, jeez Louise what a slice of history that is now.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If it goes south real early he will get booed since he’s the scapegoat according to the team “leader”.
Do you mean JT or AM because I'm hearing that they want to strip the C from 91s sweater and pin it on 34s. So if that is so, he can now add his most coveted "highest paid in the league" title, to team leader or whatevs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Different people got different vibes, seems pretty clear. And the word "vibes" makes it clear that nobody knows anything for certain.

I got the vibe that they might try to move Marner myself and I have never felt like they would ask JT or Rielly to waive their NMC's. Seems like many, many people saw it the same way, there's a reason for all the buzz surrounding Marner, it didn't just come out of nowhere.

Yup. Remember that presser when he said we were going to find players who would take less to play here, jeez Louise what a slice of history that is now.

I don’t hate them for trying something new or a new approach but they should have pivoted after ‘21. That was a turning point year for the organization. If we knew we weren’t keeping Hyman, we should have traded him to the Oilers at the deadline that year. We would have gotten a first for him that we could have kept or flipped for a dman. Should have fired Keefe, could have even moved off one of Marner or Nylander then too if we really wanted. That was

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Do you mean JT or AM because I'm hearing that they want to strip the C from 91s sweater and pin it on 34s. So if that is so, he can now add his most coveted "highest paid in the league" title, to team leader or whatevs.
I keep hearing RD34 is the leader.

JT is a solid player and a professional

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad