Chychrun’s Megathread V (poll added)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Chychrun Be Traded Before The Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Two things :)

Blue Jackets fans seem very nice.

According to them they didn’t hear anything about him refusing a trade. Same point that some of us have is that he’s no power in his contract. My only guess is BA floated the trade by him and he said he didn’t want to go. BA being nice rescinded the trade offer. Maybe :)
You're wrong. I've said what happened. You can believe me or not.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I understand that there are lots of BA fans here, but I suspect his arrogance might get in the way sometimes. He might be too proud to adjust his asking price.

It's been a long time since Chych played a game - his value ain't going up until he's thriving in games again.

I hope he gets moved for a healthy return, but I'm losing hope day by day.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I understand that there are lots of BA fans here, but I suspect his arrogance might get in the way sometimes. He might be too proud to adjust his asking price.

Devil's advocate here: at what point does adjusting his asking price make the trade a net loss for the team? Flexibility is one thing, but I don't see it as arrogance to set a minimum price and not do the deal if it's not met.

It's like shopping for a car. You have to remember who has the power in the relationship, or the dealer will run roughshod over you and you'll walk out with "paint protection" and a dozen other things you don't need or want and too high of a payment. Be ready to abandon the deal and walk away and make sure the other party knows it. BA does not have to trade Chychrun whatsoever. He has all the leverage. So why squander it?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Devil's advocate here: at what point does adjusting his asking price make the trade a net loss for the team? Flexibility is one thing, but I don't see it as arrogance to set a minimum price and not do the deal if it's not met.

It's like shopping for a car. You have to remember who has the power in the relationship, or the dealer will run roughshod over you and you'll walk out with "paint protection" and a dozen other things you don't need or want and too high of a payment. Be ready to abandon the deal and walk away and make sure the other party knows it. BA does not have to trade Chychrun whatsoever. He has all the leverage. So why squander it?
...in 2 1/2 years, maybe 2. There is no need to trade him and it keeps @rt occupied!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
the delta between Chychrun's value if he has a bad season and BA's current asking price hasn't exceeded the value BA places on sticking to his guns. Sometimes the latter is more important than a few more picks, and he might like his odds of Chychrun turning it around or wanting to stay.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

There is no net loss and setting a minimum price is interesting but meaningless. Market value is market value, thats the return we should and will get for him. There are 20+ teams interested in a 3/4D with upside on a good contract. Chych's market value has been set by the market not BA, BA just doesn't want to take what he is worth. BA is playing with fire, Chych could sit out, get hurt if he plays, play worse, plenty of downside to riding it out, let alone the side show in the locker room.

It would be different if Chych could actually stay here, stay healthy and play well with he and the Coyotes all warm and fuzzy. I think that ship has sailed.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This artical has some details that I don't recall reading before.

Rumor: Jakob Chychrun blocked a major trade.
I watched that Garrioch clip and provided a summary in this thread. He wasn't the only insider to report on the conversations with Columbus and AZ regarding Chychrun. But I'm info isn't from reports. Our friend hbk asked Craig to confirm and he did.

August 17th:

Very interesting Garrioch video, here. Lots of good nuggets.

1. Sens need a trade for a Top4D to be dollar-for-dollar

2. They've been trying hard for some time to get someone to take Zaitsev, might be easier now that $2mil SB is paid. With a sweetener, the Coyotes will take that contract.

3. Sens have been in on Chychrun for months - Chychrun has warmed up on Sens over time

4. Asking price (from talking to other teams) is 2x 1sts, a prospect, and maybe another piece

5. Chychrun's deal being 3 years is perfect, Sens don't want too little or too much term - they like the flexibility

6. There are four teams who've been around the whole time; OTT, ANA, LAK, and FLA
-ANA signed Klingberg
-ARI doesn't want to help LAK
-FLA doesn't have the chips (I assume he's not counting Knight)
-OTT is the clear front-runner

7. CBJ thought they had a deal at the draft, it fell through, not sure why but CBJ thought it was a done deal

8. ARI has NEVER been willing to bend an inch on their price

9. There's no urgency on August 15th. Maybe September 15th, before camp there's pressure. Until after Labor Day, no reason for a deal to happen without pressure.

10. Sanderson, Greig, Pinto likely not on the table, not with the rest of that price (the 2x 1sts)

11. OTT needs clarity on what's going to happen with Brannstrom, not close on a deal, he's overvaluing himself (could be in play?)

12. OTT wanted to give Klingberg a 4 year deal, may be disappointed he didn't sign.

--interesting side-note, they think Thomson is the darkhorse to make the team, and has jumped over JBD, really excited about Lassi Thomson

My take-aways:

I think taking Zaitsev and Brannstrom off their hands, solves a lot of problems for Dorion. And I think Brannstrom is a good dice-roll for BA. And a good fill-in candidate for Chychrun. And I think he's a great candidate to be the "and possibly even another piece" piece.

I think OTT probabaly wants to keep Thomson, given they'd be losing Brannstrom and Zaitsev in the deal and getting only Chychrun back. He's more NHL ready, it sounds like.

I don't think JBD has the value to be that non-Sanderson/Pinto/Greig piece. I don't think Sogaard is going anywhere. I think that leaves Boucher, Kleven, Ostapchuk, and Jarventie as the options.

My best-guess as of today:

To OTT:
Chychrun

To ARI:
Zaitsev
Brannstrom
Boucher/Kleven/Ostapchuk/Jarventie
OTT '23 1st
OTT '24 1st

There it is.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
From July 8th:

There was all sorts of chatter surrounding Chychrun early on Thursday, with multiple teams including Columbus, Vancouver and Ottawa reportedly in discussions with Armstrong. Per sources, the Coyotes actually had a deal in place to send Chychrun to an Eastern Conference team but it never reached fruition.

Although he has no trade protection, Chychrun has made it clear that he wants the chance to compete in the playoffs. None of the teams that were rumored to be in the mix for his services are a lock to do so, so with his options too limited to strike what he considers a fair deal, Armstrong has altered his stance on Chychrun.

Morgan confirmed in his response to hbk that this team he was referencing was the Blue Jackets. That wasn't until after Garrioch stated in mid August that it was CBJ that believed they had a deal done but it "fell apart" for reasons Garrioch couldn't gather. Morgan confirmed why; Chychrun didn't want to go there.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I watched that Garrioch clip and provided a summary in this thread. He wasn't the only insider to report on the conversations with Columbus and AZ regarding Chychrun. But I'm info isn't from reports. Our friend hbk asked Craig to confirm and he did.

August 17th:

There it is.
The thing I really don't recall hearing before was that Morgan had "multiple sources." I was under the impression it was just Morgan saying it happened versus Columbus denying it, 1:1 like. Garrioch is saying he didn't know why it fell through, not that it was nixed.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The thing I really don't recall hearing before was that Morgan had "multiple sources." I was under the impression it was just Morgan saying it happened versus Columbus denying it, 1:1 like. Garrioch is saying he didn't know why it fell through, not that it was nixed.
I already knew what happened before hbk asked Morgan. What Garrioch said confirmed it for me. What Morgan said to hbk confirmed it further. That’s what happened.

Also, I think you missed the way these sentences were ordered:

“Per sources, the Coyotes actually had a deal in place to send Chychrun to an Eastern Conference team but it never reached fruition.

Although he has no trade protection, Chychrun has made it clear that he wants the chance to compete in the playoffs.”

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I already knew what happened before hbk asked Morgan. What Garrioch said confirmed it for me. What Morgan said to hbk confirmed it further. That’s what happened.

Also, I think you missed the way these sentences were ordered:

“Per sources, the Coyotes actually had a deal in place to send Chychrun to an Eastern Conference team but it never reached fruition.

Although he has no trade protection, Chychrun has made it clear that he wants the chance to compete in the playoffs.”
Oh I believe it, I'm just always looking for more to verify it.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Another thing I should mention is I’m using “Chychrun” interchangeably with “Chychrun’s camp” and “Chychrun’s agent”.
As long as both sides are playing nice and can find a way for both sides to get what they want, then I'm good. I just don't want to hear about any side getting disgruntled. If Chychrun is willing to stay here (without it getting to his head) until they find the right deal then I have no complaints.

Edit: Maybe he wants to wait until the trade deadline and see what playoff teams come calling. The gamble has already been discussed lots lol.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
As long as both sides are playing nice and can find a way for both sides to get what they want, then I'm good. I just don't want to hear about any side getting disgruntled.
We should all consider him nixing a deal to Columbus as a positive sign. He’d rather be stuck here than start fresh there. As I said before, I’m sure he feels that way about a handful of teams.

I’m seeing all sides as being very professional and considerate, here. They’re saying nice things publicly. The media leaks seem to be from the other teams rather than AZ or Chychrun. And while both sides seem eager to find a trade that makes sense, BA isn’t willing to take any ole return and Chychrun isn’t willing to go to any ole team. Both sides seem to have standards and are being mutually respectful about that.

That’s all good stuff. Not only for this situation but for the reputation of the GM and the player and the organization. So far, this is something that still has a shot at being navigated well enough to leave all reputations intact or even improved.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
We should all consider him nixing a deal to Columbus as a positive sign. He’d rather be stuck here than start fresh there. As I said before, I’m sure he feels that way about a handful of teams.

I’m seeing all sides as being very professional and considerate, here. They’re saying nice things publicly. The media leaks seem to be from the other teams rather than AZ or Chychrun. And while both sides seem eager to find a trade that makes sense, BA isn’t willing to take any ole return and Chychrun isn’t willing to go to any ole team. Both sides seem to have standards and are being mutually respectful about that.

That’s all good stuff. Not only for this situation but for the reputation of the GM and the player and the organization. So far, this is something that still has a shot at being navigated well enough to leave all reputations intact or even improved.
That's what I'd say seems most likely since Chychrun has stayed so quiet throughout all of this, BA too. Still, even though I don't think he would sit out, the only thing that puts it completely to rest for me is him showing up to training camp. Once we get there I'll move on to worrying about his production and health instead haha!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Garrioch, no idea if credible, seemed to suggest it changed on the Coyote's end. He said Columbus thought they had a deal and then it died.

May I suggest that it sounds more plausible that what killed the deal was the Coyotes being able to move up and get Geekie at #11. Hypothetically, they were willing to move Chychrun for pick 12 (likely in a package) in order to take Geekie, but they figured out how to get #11 at a better price.

The suggestion that Chychrun himself killed the deal is very flimsy right now, it seems a bit implausible and no one besides Morgan has touched it.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
May I suggest that it sounds more plausible that what killed the deal was the Coyotes being able to move up and get Geekie at #11. Hypothetically, they were willing to move Chychrun for pick 12 (likely in a package) in order to take Geekie, but they figured out how to get #11 at a better price.

The suggestion that Chychrun himself killed the deal is very flimsy right now, it seems a bit implausible and no one besides Morgan has touched it.
It's fact. You can choose to be wrong about it if you want.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Family i believe has a cabin nearby and they spend their summers there. In fact I believe Chychrun is there right now.
I know, I simply ask how, if playoffs are the real reason why Ottawa? They finished behind Columbus last year and the division isn't getting easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad