Tribute Christian Bäckman

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of him? What did he bring to the ice?

images.jpg

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Why? What are my memories. Basically none. Almost a completely forgettable player. Couple hundred games of completely meh hockey, traded for barely anything and then washed out a few seasons later to SHL. What am I missing that we need to pay tribute to him?

• Haha
Reactions: Ranksu and tfriede2

ExtraExtra888

Jul 10, 2023
I dont remember much but I was pretty excited his first season I thought he played good. But then he regressed and was gone.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
He always seemed like a player who was less than the sum of his parts and always looked better than the actual on-ice results.

In a wild trivia fact, he led the team in ice time per game in his 52 GP in 2005-2006. Christian Backman, #1 defenseman.

It's easy to lament the current situation our franchise is in, but I don't think I'd trade the current organization for that one, even with a #1 overall pick coming in.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Big disappointment. Had size and skating, but was soft as butter. I kept hoping he would improve, but he never did, despite being given ample opportunity.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
He had a pretty good rookie season if I recall. MacInnis’s career was clearly over around that time bc of his eye injury. Jackman and Bäckman. The future baby.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Larry Pleau had taken over by then and we usually attributed draft success or failure to him. That was Pleau's first draft as GM. Some here may be able to speak to the weight of the scouting staff's input. Pleau and his team had several misses in their early years of drafting, but got much better as we transitioned to Army.

As others here have stated, Backman was big and skated well, so there was some reasonable expectation that he'd be able to hold his own in the NHL.

Matt 'Pylon' Walker (same Blues draft class) played more games than Backman.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Larry Pleau had taken over by then and we usually attributed draft success or failure to him. That was Pleau's first draft as GM. Some here may be able to speak to the weight of the scouting staff's input. Pleau and his team had several misses in their early years of drafting, but got much better as we transitioned to Army.

As others here have stated, Backman was big and skated well, so there was some reasonable expectation that he'd be able to hold his own in the NHL.

Matt 'Pylon' Walker (same Blues draft class) played more games than Backman.
Ted Hampton was the Blues Director of Amateur Scouting for about 20 years - from the mid 80s until he was fired and replaced with Jarmo in 2002. His track record was…not great. Jarmo, Bill Armstrong and now Feltrin have all been notably better IMO.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Ted Hampton was the Blues Director of Amateur Scouting for about 20 years - from the mid 80s until he was fired and replaced with Jarmo in 2002. His track record was…not great. Jarmo, Bill Armstrong and now Feltrin have all been notably better IMO.
Thank you! Ted Hampton is the guy and then Jarmo. I forgot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

And? So what? We made a bad draft pick a quarter of a century ago. Why are we talking about him? Should I go to the Pittsburgh board and ask for their memories of Milan Kraft who was selected 1 spot before Bachman?

What is the purpose of this thread? We don't have fond memories of a meh draft pick who had a good season then washed.

Reactions: tfriede2

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
And? So what? We made a bad draft pick a quarter of a century ago. Why are we talking about him? Should I go to the Pittsburgh board and ask for their memories of Milan Kraft who was selected 1 spot before Bachman?

What is the purpose of this thread? We don't have fond memories of a meh draft pick who had a good season then washed.
It looks like he is writing something about Swedish defensemen who played in the NHL.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I felt sorry for Backman as he was often paired with the immortal Eric Brewer who just had no concept whatsoever of staying in his post. Backman's in the corner...next thing you know...so is Brewer and someone is wide open in front of the net. I felt much of Backman's discredit was due to how crappy his partners were as well. Was he soft as jello? Yes. So was Petro. I think he may have been at least a good 4-6 if he had someone worth a crap opposite him. He didn't live up to the hype as we finally kept a first round pick and didn't trade them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad