Confirmed with Link: [Alter] Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Or maybe John Tavares conceded something he valued for what is hoped to be the greater good. And in making that sacrifice earned a lot of respect for putting the organization above his own wants and ego. And did it with a lot of dignity. Well done, John.
Nobody takes the captaincy as seriously, and with as much pride, as John did, just to give it up.

He was stripped, and he handled it with an incredible amount of class & grace for which he deserves to be praised for.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
When has the team had this level of talent and failed this hard?

Kessel/phaneuf era was bad, not disappointing

Sundin era had half the talent and still went twice as far. Disappointing that they didn’t get it done, but it’s not like they actually stood a chance based on roster construction and on paper lineups.

Gilmour team did the same, maybe they could be more disappointed because of that kings series and the crazy non-call, but that group didn’t disappoint anyone

This era had Matthews, a better player than either of those guys, Marner a player who was just a step below those guy, nylander who was a player either team, especially the Sundin era would kill for and finally Tavares, the prized UFA star Center who came home to become a 3C in the playoffs

On paper, this team was cup contending for 6 years, in reality it was 5 first round exits and a second round exit

Any before gilmour and I don’t really know tbh, so I won’t comment.

If I’m wrong about them being THE most disappointing era, they are definitely top 3

Reactions: myleafs and ACC1224

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Sundin era had half the talent and still went twice as far. Disappointing that they didn’t get it done, but it’s not like they actually stood a chance based on roster construction and on paper lineups.

Gilmour team did the same, maybe they could be more disappointed because of that kings series and the crazy non-call, but that group didn’t disappoint anyone

This era had Matthews, a better player than either of those guys, Marner a player who was just a step below those guy, nylander who was a player either team, especially the Sundin era would kill for and finally Tavares, the prized UFA star Center who came home to become a 3C in the playoffs

On paper, this team was cup contending for 6 years, in reality it was 5 first round exits and a second round exit

If I’m wrong about them being THE most disappointing era, they are definitely top 3
Well mgmt must have thought we were great after all they gave up 2 1sts for Kessel, they were going for it, lol!

Reactions: francis246

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sorry, cap hit not cash..?.duh...Leafs can still save 5.5 cap hit

Duh indeed! You are aware if we moved Tavares, we’d need to replace him? You think we’d get a better C with a cap hit below $5.5 mil? If not, we aren’t saving a penny. Who exactly have you targeted and what will that cost us?

FWIW, JT can’t save taxes on a cap hit… but nice attempt on the spin.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Well mgmt must have thought we were great after all they gave up 2 1sts for Kessel, they were going for it, lol!

That’s what I’m saying. You pay 2 first rounders for Kessel. You ain’t rebuilding. Even Burke said he did not expect the team to be as bad as it was. They had no goaltending and no defense. Management didnt assume the team was bad and in fact a rebuild was never mentioned by the club until the end of the 2014/15 season.

Reactions: Confucius

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Then look what happened, look at the rosters they threw out you think those teams could hold a candle to any of the last 6 rosters? Not a chance. You can't be disappointing IMO if you can't make the playoffs and that iteration was just plain bad

That’s what I’m saying. You pay 2 first rounders for Kessel. You ain’t rebuilding. Even Burke said he did not expect the team to be as bad as it was. They had no goaltending and no defense. Management didnt assume the team was bad and in fact a rebuild was never mentioned by the club until the end of the 2014/15 season.
I mean you answered your own question. That team had worse defence than the defence we've thrown out the majority of the last 6 years and had at best similar goaltending to ours, usually much worse.

Management didn't assume we were bad because they were stubborn to try and make the team work. We finished:
29, 22, 26, 9, 23, 27

That is just a horrible, no good hockey team, 5 of 6 years.

So we iced a worse roster, got predicatably worse results and it's still somehow more disappointing?

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
90ccha.jpg

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They should’ve named Mitch captain and blew the lid off this thing
That might be a deal breaker for my love of the Leafs. It would show they are not serious people and a total clown show…….but I know you are just kidding…….right

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Duh indeed! You are aware if we moved Tavares, we’d need to replace him? You think we’d get a better C with a cap hit below $5.5 mil? If not, we aren’t saving a penny. Who exactly have you targeted and what will that cost us?

FWIW, JT can’t save taxes on a cap hit… but nice attempt on the spin.
You don't know what the tax rules are when compensation is spread. He thought he knew and the tax guys said no..
Yes, I know he must be replaced, maybe Mitton or Cowan or someone in the trade may, but freeing up 5.5m is significant, especially when you know JT cannot keep up any longer, and cannot pk.
Add another 10.5 next year when Mitchy goes and that 22m gets us a great deal of what we need to win.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I didn’t get that vibe tbh. I got the vibe that Tavares himself knew the time was right (I don’t think that makes it easier on him). I think he knew that this transition was always going to happen. He wasn’t going to be the captain past his current contract. It felt like he knew his time as captain was running out, probably didn’t want to give it up but knew that’s what’s best for the team and probably himself going into a contract year. I think this takes a lot of pressure off John now. So hopefully we get one of John’s best seasons.
Tree slipped at least once and said he brought it to Tavares. This wasnt Tavares idea.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I have faith this is the right move for Matthews and the team as a whole. The kid is one of the best in the world and I think this helps him grow and eventually be a big time playoff performer as well.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Or maybe John Tavares conceded something he valued for what is hoped to be the greater good. And in making that sacrifice earned a lot of respect for putting the organization above his own wants and ego. And did it with a lot of dignity. Well done, John.

Nobody takes the captaincy as seriously, and with as much pride, as John did, just to give it up.

He was stripped, and he handled it with an incredible amount of class & grace for which he deserves to be praised for.
He did what everyone in that situation always does. He stuck to the script and said what he was told to say. It's not like he was going to go up to the podium and start flipping tables while screaming profanities at everyone.

No one said it was JT idea... He was just on board with it
Yeah, kind of like the way my wife suggested we have kids and I was "on board with it".

Reactions: myleafs

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
He did what everyone in that situation always does. He stuck to the script and said what he was told to say. It's not like he was going to go up to the podium and start flipping tables while screaming profanities at everyone.

Yeah, kind of like the way my wife suggested we have kids and I was "on board with it".
Lol yea.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You don't know what the tax rules are when compensation is spread. He thought he knew and the tax guys said no..
Yes, I know he must be replaced, maybe Mitton or Cowan or someone in the trade may, but freeing up 5.5m is significant, especially when you know JT cannot keep up any longer, and cannot pk.
Add another 10.5 next year when Mitchy goes and that 22m gets us a great deal of what we need to win.

Funny enough, I do know a little about taxation and leaving the country, as my job is a financial advisor and I’ve dealt with this a number of times. It has more to do with residency, and it’s highly improbable that Tavares would give up Canadian residency, as the consequences tax wise can be quite punitive in the year you leave, incurring deemed disposition on all non-registered assets and taxes on them. In addition, registered assets would be taxed as non-registered income in the States annually, though there are provisions for deferral in some cases. I am no expert in cross border taxation, but I do know enough to appreciate that you are talking nonsense and have no idea at all.

Are you really suggesting that Minten or Cowan could replace Tavares? Cowan is going to be a winger in the NHL and Minten’s most optimistic upside is around producing in two years, what Tavares can in one. I mean it’s laughable.

Meanwhile, you make claims of how much cap we gain by moving Tavares with no actual replacement, and letting Marner go with no actual replacement. Yet you have no idea who is a UFA to replace them.

Hint, the idea is to get better and the C’s available in free agency aren’t better than even a declining JT.

All of this comes across as I have no idea what I’m talking about, don’t understand contracts, don’t understand tax, don’t understand that players need to be replaced, and have no idea who is available….

This all began with a premise of dumping JT mid season, and hare brained erroneous idea he’d save on taxes. He won’t, and the team would take a significant step back. Like I said, not well thought out.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I think if anyone saw disappointment in JT’s demeanour yesterday… it was from not already winning a cup before passing the C to Auston.

Back when Tavares was named Captain…. everyone probably thought we would have won a cup before it was time to pass the C.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh 2 guys who probably had to drive the 2hrs down from Muskoka. lol! C’mon William surely you could have chartered a jet from Sweden, kept it on standby and jetted back all within 24 hrs. lol!
I’m sure the Leafs would have bought him a ticket if he was worried about the cost.

Obviously he’s not seen as part of the leadership core or he’d have been there.

Versus expectations they are definitely up there when it comes to being a disappointment. Everyone would agree with that I’m sure.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I’m sure the Leafs would have bought him a ticket if he was worried about the cost.

Obviously he’s not seen as part of the leadership core or he’d have been there.

Vs expectations they are definitely up there when it comes to being a disappointment. Everyone would agree with that I’m sure.
The guys that wore letters were there, the others were not. Doesn't seem any more complicated than that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Gilmour was a superstar and one of the best players in the sport during that era. His will, his effort, his ability was unlike any of the core. It’s a shame but I don’t think they have it in them, at least they haven’t shown it.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I know that I'm going to come across as Old Man Yells at Cloud, but could he not have thrown on a collar and dress shoes?

I understand that it's a new era, but it's the lackadaisical, sloppy image that a captain of a hockey team shouldn't be projecting.

Not to mention showing respect for all who came before him.

Maybe I'm just old school, but little things like this could add up and prevent them from getting over the top when things get tight

Rant over - flame away.

Reactions: Al14 and egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad