Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Doesn’t add up. If they were preparing to move on without Tavares you just wait a year and name Auston captain then and save JT all of this.

I think it’s far more likely this is an indication that JT will be extended. If you’re planning to keep him, but see Auston as your captain going forward, that’s why you do this now.
I believed them when they said "everything was on the table" in April, because I think they genuinely meant it. However, I think they realized quickly that they really didn't have the same appetite for change that they initially believed, and just how challenging making those changes were.

So, fast forward a few months, and you've had a pretty underwhelming off-season, so one of the main moves you can sell as change, is the captaincy.

That's the most logical explanation as to why today happened today, as opposed to 12 months ago - a desire to change the perception that they're just "running it back". They'll convince themselves that this makes things feel different this season. It might. It won't change their inability to contend for a cup.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Why did the Leafs reverse the relaxed dress code after a couple of weeks if it doesn't matter?
What he wore today is often what he wears before a game. Here's him before a game in March.

It's about presenting an image. Looking professional. If the team isn't winning where it matters, they should at least look put together and capable.

You started whining about what my criticism of the team/players and then pout when I flip it back on you?
Ok and some people may think he looked fine, the team included.

I'm not whining at all, I'm just calling you out for always sounding negative about the team that you claim to be a fan of. If he wore a dress shirt you'd still find something else to be annoyed about. I guess it's because your criticism in this case is focused on something trivial like the shirt he wore instead of something that matters.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ok and some people may think he looked fine, the team included.

I'm not whining at all, I'm just calling you out for always sounding negative about the team that you claim to be a fan of. If he wore a dress shirt you'd still find something else to be annoyed about.
I mean I think it's pretty obvious what the team thinks is irrelevant because everything they've done up to now is fail in the playoffs.

You're calling me out? Great, I'm calling you back. Like I said before, more of ya'll being vocal cant possibly hurt the situation.

Unfortunately I'll always be a fan of this team. Being raised a Leafs fan may or may not be child abuse but here we are lol. While I'm a fan of the team, I'd have a difficult time finding a more unlikable group of star players in the league (with the exception of Rielly).

"Let's not address a problem because they'll just find another problem" do you realize how pathetically complacent that sounds?

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
What he wore today is often what he wears before a game. Here's him before a game in March.

I'm not referring to what he wore today. I'm referring to the team policy that he got changed after the worst loss in franchise history, which was then reversed a few weeks later because of unknown reasons since it apparently doesn't matter.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I mean I think it's pretty obvious what the team thinks is irrelevant because everything they've done up to now is fail in the playoffs.

You're calling me out? Great, I'm calling you back. Like I said before, more of ya'll being vocal cant possibly hurt the situation.

Unfortunately I'll always be a fan of this team. Being raised a Leafs fan may or may not be child abuse but here we are lol. While I'm a fan of the team, I'd have a difficult time finding a more unlikable group of star players in the league (with the exception of Rielly).

"Let's not address a problem because they'll just find another problem" do you realize how pathetically complacent that sounds?
My point is that if you were whining about something tangible that had any significance I wouldn't be saying any of this. As an example, if Matthews totally f***ed up the answer to a question today or said something that made him look stupid or refused to shake JT's hand or insulted a member of the media, I'd understand. But this initial conversation started because you seemed upset that he didn't wear a dress shirt and therefore didn't meet your fashion standards, as if you are the authority on fashion and professionalism in the workplace in 2024, especially for someone who is probably a member of a different generation than you.

Other than that, the 'you guys in Toronto should really be vocal and do something to put MLSE in their place' while you do nothing yourself (and support another team across the continent) just sounds silly, but whatever.

I'm not referring to what he wore today. I'm referring to the team policy that he got changed after the worst loss in franchise history, which was then reversed a few weeks later because of unknown reasons since it apparently doesn't matter.
...my point is that the current team dress code before games aligns with what he wore today.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I am terrible at reading body language, but to me it seemed like JT was indeed 'stripped' of the captaincy (i.e., this wasn't his decision, it was management's).

But I'm not worried about it either. JT knows how things work in this market, he knows that Matthews is the face of the team, and he does not strike me as the type to get embittered over something like this.

As others have said, it was probably inevitable, too: A bit surprised that the Leafs decided to do it this summer instead of next, but Matthews was always going to be the next captain.
JT has never been a good fit for a captain. Hes not a vocal leader and his play on the ice isnt that inspiring..he lacks passion and competiveness. Crosby fot ecample has fire on the ice, but he reportedly was quiet away from the ice. Tavares is a fantastic player and fantastic professional...but not a captain.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
My point is that if you were whining about something tangible that had any significance I wouldn't be saying any of this. As an example, if Matthews totally f***ed up the answer to a question today or said something that made him look stupid or refused to shake JT's hand or insulted a member of the media, I'd understand. But this initial conversation started because you seemed upset that he didn't wear a dress shirt and therefore didn't meet your fashion standards, as if you are the authority on fashion and professionalism in the workplace in 2024, especially for someone who is probably a member of a different generation than you.

Other than that, the 'you guys in Toronto should really be vocal and do something to put MLSE in their place' while you do nothing yourself (and support another team across the continent) just sounds silly, but whatever.
Well I'm about 2 years older than Matthews and I played jr with a couple of his former teammates, so we couldn't be much closer in age.

I stand by what I said, I want my team looking professional. The fact that you think it's some outrageous criticism is quite something.

And I love how the big "gotcha" ya'll seem to think you have on me is that I like a few teams or I'm from Winnipeg. Attack the argument, not the person. But you can't because your argument has 0 substance, which is usually the case when those points are brought up

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Well I'm about 2 years older than Matthews and I played jr with a couple of his former teammates, so we couldn't be much closer in age.

I stand by what I said, I want my team looking professional. The fact that you think it's some outrageous criticism is quite something.

And I love how the big "gotcha" ya'll seem to think you have on me is that I like a few teams or I'm from Winnipeg. Attack the argument, not the person. But you can't because as usual the argument has 0 substance
I have been attacking your argument this whole time. I think there are more relevant, tangible things to criticize Matthews and the team about rather than what he wore today. And my apologies, I guess you just give off boomer vibes.

Anyway, moving on.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I have been attacking your argument this whole time. I think there are more relevant, tangible things to criticize Matthews and the team about rather than what he wore today. And my apologies, I guess you just give off boomer vibes.

Anyway, moving on.
Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

I'm taking that boomer comment as a bigger compliment than you probably realize or intended

Reactions: bax and PROUD PAPA

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

I'm taking that boomer comment as a bigger compliment than you probably realize or intended
I guess compared to the younger generations these days it's a compliment, you're right.

Reactions: JKG33

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Comparing current-day Leafs to the previous million iterations of this core...

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

Leafs are making superficial changes this offseason to show they did something. Probably cause they're trapped with a pile of NMCs but still funny after the promises of change.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So Matthews to Captain probably indicates the Tavares extension is on the way.

Otherwise they could have to handed it over when Tavares was done.

Maybe Darryl can give him some pointers, other than feuding with a vindictive GM who trades the 2nd. best forward away out of spite.

Curious if Matthews inserts asserts himself more or if the 'C' is completely meaningless in today's game and just a symbolic gesture. He could even insert himself into scrums.
Scrums nah not Matty
The 1980's Ballard Years have entered the chat.
The 70s Imlach/Ballard reign of terror was the lowest of lows.
Tavares is the most uninspiring Captain ever.

He's soft and gets pushed around easily. Prefering to let opponents punch him in the face without fear of retribution. Rather than standing up for himself and the charges under his command.

This is on top of having zero leadership skills coupled with the personality of a rock.

They should really stop letting him do interviews. Find someone with a bit of charisma who can carry a conversation. Tavares just comes off as a cliche mumbling milquetoast.
Ask Steven Stamkos about his precision speed bag skills.
well honestly I wouldn't have named Matthews captain myself. but whatever. go captain.
be really curious to see how quickly the "yeah, finally!, it's about time it's hims" turn into "omg he's such a poo captain."
I'm thinking game 4 or so.
When you hand someone that contract, you have to be expecting more than just goals and assists.

You're expected to be one of the leaders regardless of an initial on your jersey, but I wouldn't be surprised if Willy did get a "A" to try and motivate him even more.
So let me get this straight signing for 8 years gets you an A, and signing for 4 gets you the C. MLSE math
Maybe that’s a decision they’ll have to make but there is also Tavares and Robertson to sign. There are other things going on besides Marner.
Marner lives rent free in a lot of heads around these parts. In fact if Mitch scored the winning goals in games 5 and 7 of the SCF there'd be people bitching about him putting it in the net when he could have passed to Matthews.
They paid extra to Mitchy. Extra to JT.
Extra does not equate to winning. Muskoka Mitchy is the prime example
Like I said @ACC1224 rent free!😉

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Hopefully Auston becomes more of a vocal leader. You never see him firing guys up on the bench or speaking at all really.

Would love to see him become a Mackinnon type leader.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I think it got reversed because of that get up Matthews showed up in a few games later that had him looking like a middle-aged lesbian bag lady

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think the truth is that that’s how this decision probably came together. I think listening to both. It seems like Tavares kind of felt now was the right time and the club ultimately decided that too. I think Tavares was more than likely ready to relieve himself of that pressure going into a contract year.
Sounds like management decided now was the time and gave him the chance to resign, instead of being fired.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Omg did you see that Tavares had on a colourful beaded bracelet?!?!!? That's not very professional!!!! Why don't you guys get loud and do something!!!!
That wasn’t a beaded bracelet, it was spare beads for the Nylander brother’s corn rows……..

Because he's the only genuine leader in that room.

Why is Reilly always get the short end of the stick?
Too much virtue…….

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Scrums nah not Matty

The 70s Imlach/Ballard reign of terror was the lowest of lows.

Ask Steven Stamkos about his precision speed bag skills.

I'm thinking game 4 or so.

So let me get this straight signing for 8 years gets you an A, and signing for 4 gets you the C. MLSE math

Marner lives rent free in a lot of heads around these parts. In fact if Mitch scored the winning goals in games 5 and 7 of the SCF there'd be people bitching about him putting it in the net when he could have passed to Matthews.

Tell us more about your thought process behind this statement. I can only guess that its so incredible that shrinks would want to study it.

• Love
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Baby steps. Let's start with Mitch showing up in the first round, never mind game 7 of the SCF,

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad