CHL/NCAA

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's hard to say but I could see around 20. But I also see some 18 and 19 year old's leaving.

How many players debate whether they are going the CHL or NCAA route before signing in the CHL. Many sign in the CHL because the option of playing Tier 2 Jr. A for two seasons doesn't appeal to them. Now those players can sign in the CHL and then bolt to the NCAA at 18 or 19. Best of both worlds for them.

The NCAA has no draft. It's essentially a free for all when it comes to recruiting. Do you not think these schools will hire additional scouts who will scout OHL players and make a pitch for them to come to their school?

The odds of an elite 18 or 19 year old leaving the OHL are slim. Those players l have been NHL drafted. It is Moore likely they will remain in the CHL. The second tier players that are solid CHLers but not NHL prospects will have to make a decision but there is no clock on their decision. Most enter the NCAA at 19. Some of the elite players enter at 18 but I think we’ve already established that the elite players that start in the CHL will likely remain in the CHL. So, those 2nd tier players that aren’t elite only start NCAA at 19 anyway. The CHL players that want to play NCAA are more likely to remain in the CHL for their 19 year old season, then delay their NCAA start one year and jump at 20.

So, then it comes down to the question of what the OA’s would do. I think you already have that answer. Most OA’s have played 3-4 years in the CHL. They have accumulated 3-4 years of scholarship credits. There is nothing stopping the OA’s from bolting for the CIS option. But, what do they typically do? If they don’t turn pro at 20, they play an OA year in an effort to prove to the Pro ranks they are capable. They use that extra year available to them. I don’t see why they would approach the NCAA vs CIS vs Pro any different.

How I see it is there is another option for CHL players once their CHL eligibility is complete. We may see some 20 year olds leave early but not in droves. We may see a 3rd tier CHL player in a bad situation leave at 19. You know that early CHL pick that never really panned out that is still good but finds himself behind a few younger players on the depth chart? That kid may leave early but that isn’t a huge loss.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Let’s be honest - - the goal of every 15yr old with some talent is to play in the NHL, not to get a college education in the States.

And every teenager in the CHL with enough talent is focused on making the NHL, not getting an NCAA scholarship. Even the OAs are still trying to earn an NHL contract.

No CHL players are going to leave for the NCAA if they have a realistic shot at getting an NHL contract. Their focus is on going pro and getting paid - - NOT going to school.

What players are actually going to focus on getting an NCAA education? The fringe players who don’t have enough talent to play at the NHL level.

Reactions: Otto

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
It's hard to say but I could see around 20. But I also see some 18 and 19 year old's leaving.

How many players debate whether they are going the CHL or NCAA route before signing in the CHL. Many sign in the CHL because the option of playing Tier 2 Jr. A for two seasons doesn't appeal to them. Now those players can sign in the CHL and then bolt to the NCAA at 18 or 19. Best of both worlds for them.

The NCAA has no draft. It's essentially a free for all when it comes to recruiting. Do you not think these schools will hire additional scouts who will scout OHL players and make a pitch for them to come to their school?
Why would an 18/19 year old leave the CHL? I just don't buy it. If 18/19 year old leaves it will be because they were a marginal player. Otherwise, they will play in the CHL, get in their 60+ games and, the NCAA option is still there when they turn 20.

I also don't believe that 1/3 of the overagers will play NCAA.

Reactions: Donnie740

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Let’s be honest - - the goal of every 15yr old with some talent is to play in the NHL, not to get a college education in the States.

And every teenager in the CHL with enough talent is focused on making the NHL, not getting an NCAA scholarship. Even the OAs are still trying to earn an NHL contract.

No CHL players are going to leave for the NCAA if they have a realistic shot at getting an NHL contract. Their focus is on going pro and getting paid - - NOT going to school.

What players are actually going to focus on getting an NCAA education? The fringe players who don’t have enough talent to play at the NHL level.
Have you ever been to an NCAA game? I think your view on the NCAA is a little outdated. Most schools have far better facilities than the small-market CHL teams and the players are not washouts like you're saying. Most D1 divisions are the same as the CHL with teams filled with elite draft picks and teams filled with future ECHL players at best, just like the bottom half of the O every year.

I believe the CHL is still the best path to become a high-end player but the NCAA is no longer very far behind. Very few, if any, 18/19 year-olds would leave right but now but if the NIL issue for Canadians gets solved we should be concerned we will lose elite players to big programs. I'm sure the CHL has considered this though and there is probably something in place.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Why would an 18/19 year old leave the CHL? I just don't buy it. If 18/19 year old leaves it will be because they were a marginal player. Otherwise, they will play in the CHL, get in their 60+ games and, the NCAA option is still there when they turn 20.

I also don't believe that 1/3 of the overagers will play NCAA.

Exactly.

Everyone in the CHL is focused on playing in the NHL. Most do not give a shit about post secondary school because they want to be professional hockey players, even if it’s just minor pro or in a Euro league.

Only when they age out and don’t have any pro contract offers will they maybe think about joining all the other burn outs in the NCAA. Assuming they have the grades to get in and the desire to sit in a classroom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad