CHL/NCAA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
I think that is short sighted thinking on their part. The CHL churns out a tremendous amount of high quality players that don’t profile well as Professionals. However, they are all highly refined 21 year olds. They could end up signing a player like Jack Beck or Deni Goure who would both provide a significantly higher impact from day one than Malhotra. They’d be able to offer scholarships to players on the spot and suit them up inside 3 months.

The organizations that would more likely suffer are the CIS schools. The quality players that choose to go CIS will have NCAA opportunities.
It is but I think that’s why the big powerhouse schools don’t want the CHL players because they hold the competitive advantage over smaller schools. But if they smaller schools can start loading up on CHL players it would create more of a balance that powerhouse programs would not want that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is but I think that’s why the big powerhouse schools don’t want the CHL players because they hold the competitive advantage over smaller schools. But if they smaller schools can start loading up on CHL players it would create more of a balance that powerhouse programs would not want that.

Maybe but the 21 year old CHL graduate is more likely to play the full 4 years. The studs we are mostly talking about are 1-2 year NCAA players. Those bigger schools will leverage the top 21 year old CHL players before they leverage a player like Fantilli who they know is likely only playing 1-2 years.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
The top NCAA programs don't care any longer if a player is there for 1 or 2 years. It has become a marketing strategy that continues to attract more top players for 1 or 2 years. The top echelon of NCAA hockey is now akin to the top powerhouse football conferences.

Barring a freak year, small market/ small programs are being squeezed out of relevance. The days of seeing a Lake Superior State win a NCAA Championship will be few and far between.

Reactions: Corso

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
NCAA basketball is full of 18 year olds who play one season and then play in the NBA. Duke has a number of them every season. They call it one and done. I could see NCAA hockey doing the same with the elite players.

Many of you keep saying NCAA hockey teams only have a few elite 18 and 19 year olds. But the reason why they don't have more is that a lot of elite 18 and 19 year olds are playing in the CHL. The new rule opens the door for the NCAA to grab more elite 18 and 19 year olds.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
NCAA basketball is full of 18 year olds who play one season and then play in the NBA. Duke has a number of them every season. They call it one and done. I could see NCAA hockey doing the same with the elite players.

Many of you keep saying NCAA hockey teams only have a few elite 18 and 19 year olds. But the reason why they don't have more is that a lot of elite 18 and 19 year olds are playing in the CHL. The new rule opens the door for the NCAA to grab more elite 18 and 19 year olds.
I don’t think you can compare hockey to basketball and football because there is no alternative development option like the CHL in those sports. Baseball is its own uniqueness as players are drafted out of high school or college. Also the CBA and when players are signed has a big impact too. More and more first round draft picks are signing entry level contracts upon being drafted. I counted 13 CHL players drafted in the first round this past draft, 11 of those are already signed. So unless the CBA or NCAA allows players signed to pro contracts to play, these players won’t be going to NCAA

Someone can correct me, but I don’t believe NCAA allows drafted and signed MLB prospects to play baseball. So I think that would be a good indication that they won’t allow signed entry level NHL players in.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The players that play CHL WANT to play CHL. They aren’t going to play as a 16 and 17 year old and then bolt to the NCAA. The only ones that would do that are the ones that want to play NCAA and are choosing now to play CHL instead of BCHL or the Jr loop.

The bonus is the ones who want to play NCAA can play a full 4-5 years of CHL and then go NCAA at 20-21. It allows for more options when they graduate from the CHL.

This is a situation where players can and will be more likely to play in a higher profile NCAA program at an older age rather than go the CIS route. I can see a lot of players choose NCAA over ECHL for 18 months and then CIS which we do see a lot of.

Having the NCAA for four years after CHL is a really good opportunity for players. It allows them to extend their competitive careers and potentially get them more opportunities than they would had they played ECHL or CIS.

Additionally, I can see situations where the players get partial scholarships that are partially funded by their CHL Scholarships. If a player has one year tuition, they can apply that to the NCAA school fees and the NCAA school would cover the rest.

I think there are a lot of great opportunities here for the players. I don’t think we’d see a mass exodus from CHL to NCAA. IF a CHL player is struggling to get ice time in the CHL as an 18 year old, it is more likely that player would not get a full ride scholarship, especially as a Canadian.

Reactions: RB76

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
I can see the NCAA, CHL and the NHL working together to develop a structured and controlled optimal development path:

CHL / USHL (16-19yrs)
NCAA / CIS (20-23yrs)
AHL / NHL

In theory it would require certain guarantees such as a standard four year agreement for CHL / USHL, exceptions for super elite individuals, NIL changes to allow Canadian athletes to earn, etc., but the result could offer greater opportunities and possibilities for more players.

NIL money is changing the landscape rather quickly. Not saying NCAA Hockey will fully participate but Check out the following from the Athletic:

“We should start by going back to the recruitment of five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava, who agreed to an unprecedented $8 million NIL deal in 2022 after committing to the Vols. It’s still a big number, but even just two years ago, it made waves. The largest NIL deal anyone had heard of was going to a QB who’d spurned steadier powers for oft-turbulent Tennessee.”

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can see the NCAA, CHL and the NHL working together to develop a structured and controlled optimal development path:

CHL / USHL (16-19yrs)
NCAA / CIS (20-23yrs)
AHL / NHL

In theory it would require certain guarantees such as a standard four year agreement for CHL / USHL, exceptions for super elite individuals, NIL changes to allow Canadian athletes to earn, etc., but the result could offer greater opportunities and possibilities for more players.

NIL money is changing the landscape rather quickly. Not saying NCAA Hockey will fully participate but Check out the following from the Athletic:

“We should start by going back to the recruitment of five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava, who agreed to an unprecedented $8 million NIL deal in 2022 after committing to the Vols. It’s still a big number, but even just two years ago, it made waves. The largest NIL deal anyone had heard of was going to a QB who’d spurned steadier powers for oft-turbulent Tennessee.”

The rules surrounding NIL for NCAA athletes makes it difficult for Canadians to collect it while at NCAA institutions. The amount of time they need to be in Canada to be on the right side of eligibility is the issue. So I’m not sure they could work around the NIL issues for Canadians.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
All it is required is a change to government policy, granting student athletes the ability to secure a work permit while at school. It's more of an administrative move, but agree it might require someone challenging the rules before they decide to change it.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
All it is required is a change to government policy, granting student athletes the ability to secure a work permit while at school. It's more of an administrative move, but agree it might require someone challenging the rules before they decide to change it.
There are not enough people that give a damn about hockey and there aren't enough international athletes in football/basketball for the government (federal or states individually) to want to make that change.

Reactions: OMG67

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
There are not enough people that give a damn about hockey and there aren't enough international athletes in football/basketball for the government (federal or states individually) to want to make that change.
Correct...you had Zach Edey winning player of the year as a Canadian and not able to cash in and with a high-profile player like that it was crickets. Will probably take a 5-star FOOTBALL recruit from Canada to move the needle and even that might not get it done.

Reactions: frontsfan67

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The rules surrounding NIL for NCAA athletes makes it difficult for Canadians to collect it while at NCAA institutions. The amount of time they need to be in Canada to be on the right side of eligibility is the issue. So I’m not sure they could work around the NIL issues for Canadians.
It isn't that hard imo. Zach Edey from Toronto. Purdue had their team come to Toronto to play Alabama in a basketball. It wasn't a coincidence they played there. Even going to regionals in Detroit you see a lot ballers that have very little interest in the result of games. They habe other interests. Getting a leased luxury vehicle isn't hard to do either. It's opened up a lot more in the last 8-10 months. Not to mention these athletes aren't paying for these meals at a top steakhouse.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It isn't that hard imo. Zach Edey from Toronto. Purdue had their team come to Toronto to play Alabama in a basketball. It wasn't a coincidence they played there. Even going to regionals in Detroit you see a lot ballers that have very little interest in the result of games. They habe other interests. Getting a leased luxury vehicle isn't hard to do either. It's opened up a lot more in the last 8-10 months. Not to mention these athletes aren't paying for these meals at a top steakhouse.

I think there are work arounds. It would require more frequent trips back to Canada. So, some concessions during the offseason and at certain periods throughout the year. Maybe some remote classes etc. If I remember correctly, it is total time in the USA with shorter intervals would make it possible. Where it doesn’t make sense is when it is a nominal amount for NIL. Someone getting $150k+ per year would be able to make it happen. It is the ones getting more like $10k where the travel back and forth isn't Worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad