Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Quenneville is doing okay but he needs to be doing better to be thought of as someone who could be a major contributor to this team in the future.

I'm disappointed that reality doesn't just conform to what I want to believe but so it goes.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'm high on JQ after seeing him in camp. Looked close to NHL ready and looks like he has a legit shot as panning out as a top 6 forward.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Quenneville with an assist tonight...2 points in 3 games after coming back from injury is good. He's going to be fine once he gets back to full form. The Brandon Wheat Kings announcers said he still wasn't 100%, saying "he's looking better and better every day coming back from his injury"

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Brandon Sutter is a good comparable for Quenneville. JQ should slot as a 2/3 center probably with a slightly higher offensive upside than Sutter. Things might be different if he becomes a winger as a pro, but that is how I see him right now.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I know Anthony Brodeur is no longer our Prospect but it is nice to see that he is doing much better in an easier League on a stacked team.

He is currently playing for the Penticton Vees in the BCHL and riding a 14 game winning streak.

He has a .944 sv% and a 1.59 GAA.

His last game was a 33 save shutout last night in a 1-0 game against the Coquitlam express which incidentally Colton Kerfoot, Alex's brother plays on.

This is building confidence for him and maybe tighten his game. Maybe he'll make it back to the NHL some day.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Quenneville with an assist tonight...2 points in 3 games after coming back from injury is good. He's going to be fine once he gets back to full form. The Brandon Wheat Kings announcers said he still wasn't 100%, saying "he's looking better and better every day coming back from his injury"

Honestly that's exactly what you want to see coming off an injury. Still putting some points up and staying above a PPG pace.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I know Anthony Brodeur is no longer our Prospect but it is nice to see that he is doing much better in an easier League on a stacked team.

He is currently playing for the Penticton Vees in the BCHL and riding a 14 game winning streak.

He has a .944 sv% and a 1.59 GAA.

His last game was a 33 save shutout last night in a 1-0 game against the Coquitlam express which incidentally Colton Kerfoot, Alex's brother plays on.

This is building confidence for him and maybe tighten his game. Maybe he'll make it back to the NHL some day.

Back?! It'd be a step up for him just to get an AHL contract.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think Brandon Sutter is a good comparable for Quenneville. JQ should slot as a 2/3 center probably with a slightly higher offensive upside than Sutter. Things might be different if he becomes a winger as a pro, but that is how I see him right now.

If we get a fairly consistent 20-goal scorer out of Quenneville, I'll call it a win. I think Sutter's a really good pick as a comparable.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Blackwood stops 30/31 shots against Sudbury. Up to a .929SV% on the season.

He's money.

Can't wait to see how he does in World Juniors. Obviously Goalie development takes a while but this kid seems to be on track so far.

Assuming he continues at this pace, he has 1 more year in Junior right no matter what unless by some miracle he made the Devils. I don't think he can be in Albany next year. Is that right?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Can't wait to see how he does in World Juniors. Obviously Goalie development takes a while but this kid seems to be on track so far.

Assuming he continues at this pace, he has 1 more year in Junior right no matter what unless by some miracle he made the Devils. I don't think he can be in Albany next year. Is that right?

Yeah goalies are usually pretty difficult to project on the next level, but this is everything we could have hoped for from a draft +1 season for Blackwood. He's 18 and will turn 19 in December, so I don't think he's eligible to play in the AHL next season. On that note though, I think Appleby will be with Albany next season though.

You're right on all your points, and I really hope HC makes the decision to start him for the World Junior's.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah goalies are usually pretty difficult to project on the next level, but this is everything we could have hoped for from a draft +1 season for Blackwood. He's 18 and will turn 19 in December, so I don't think he's eligible to play in the AHL next season. On that note though, I think Appleby will be with Albany next season though.

You're right on all your points, and I really hope HC makes the decision to start him for the World Junior's.

FWIW, Blackwood is eligible to play in the AHL next year because he turns 20 before January 1. I don't see any reason why he would play in the AHL, though.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Quenneville is doing okay but he needs to be doing better to be thought of as someone who could be a major contributor to this team in the future.

I'm disappointed that reality doesn't just conform to what I want to believe but so it goes.

The kid missed several games with an injury. Give him a break. And he's doing quite well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Blackwood is going to continue to dominate juniors to this degree then yeah I don't see the point of leaving him there another year if he doesn't need it, other than putting off starting the clock on his FA eligibility.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I do, advance his development.

For real, if a guy's clearly outclassing the league he's in, move him up. It's true goaltenders are difficult to forecast, but that's partially because of traditional scouting valuing things like "wins" over pure puck-stopping. Blackwood's absolutely killing it at the latter.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This will be his third year at Barrie. Seems like his second as the starter. Currently he is ready to blow stats from last year out the window.

I mean if he stays on pace and dominates all year maybe you do ask him to do it again for one more year before going to Albany.

Though it is crazy the stats he is putting him considering how many shots he sees a night. Has to be close to averaging 30-35 a game right now.

Kid is also huge. Looking up his stats I forgot how damn big he is.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
There is no reason to not keep him in juniors. Why put him in a more difficult league when you don't have to? Let him get more experience and keep him down as long as needed. Goalies take longer to develop. Dominating won't hurt his game.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Assist for Zacha, 1-0 Sarnia

It was on the PowerPlay. It was a tic-tac-toe passing play that led to the goal, which Zacha started. He's been playing well tonight

EDIT: I know he's not a prospect of ours, but I've been keeping an eye on Tyler Kelleher since he came to our rookie/prospect development camp this summer. He's got 2 assists so far tonight and is playing at a 2 PPG pace in the NCAA for UNH

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Though it is crazy the stats he is putting him considering how many shots he sees a night. Has to be close to averaging 30-35 a game right now.

I loved the Blackwood pick the second we made it, i'm shocked he lasted until the second round to be honest, the kid is going to be a fantastic NHL goaltender sooner rather than later. I'm excited to see how he performs at the World Junior Championships.

If we get a fairly consistent 20-goal scorer out of Quenneville, I'll call it a win. I think Sutter's a really good pick as a comparable.

I think Quenneville has a little bit more offensive/playmaking capability than Sutter, but it's not a bad comparison by any means. I don't think it's beyond reason that Quenneville turns out to be a decent second line center who put up 50 points (20g/30a).

Honestly i think he's a pretty safe bet to be a decent NHL contributor, he's a smart and decently skilled player with not a lot of weak areas to his game outside of his offensive inconsistency. I see him as sort of a Travis Zajac at best, Brandon Sutter at worst kind of prospect. Not a bad asset to have by any means.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There is no reason to not keep him in juniors. Why put him in a more difficult league when you don't have to? Let him get more experience and keep him down as long as needed. Goalies take longer to develop. Dominating won't hurt his game.

That's a myth, mostly because there are so few goalies in the league that it's incredibly difficult to bump an entrenched starter until you have a long track record of success. If Blackwood's good enough for the AHL, play him there. It's not like there's pressure, you want him to get used to a higher level of play as early as possible.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Meh they can afford to be extra patient with Blackwood with Cory locked in long term. "When you have time on your side, use it." :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad