GDT: Chicago @ Carolina—Tuesday, October 15, 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Bellemore is like Bobby Sanguinetti, but slower and with zero offense.

Ruutu looked really good.

Murphy, when he's unleashed, is fun to watch. The lines must be fighting over who gets to play with him.

I give Muller a C. A better coach would have told Skinner and Gerbe to score during the shootout.

Sangs blocked shots though. Bellemore is far better, not even close. (this board is INCONSISTENT. so far this season Bellemore has enjoyed praise by all. one off game and he's like Sanguinetti? right. he's no Jay Harrison, I'll give you that.

Ruutu did play well but doesn't belong on that line when he should be displacing one of the AHLers that Muller gives unreal ice time to, the hell back to Charlotte.

Murphy is a defensive disaster but great skater. he's a goodun.

Muller deserves an A++ for telling them to flub the SO. he has a plan, a Plan I tell ya.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
rg8b.png

We knew you had it in ya!! :yo:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
All that is lacking is decisiveness. You saw it on the Canes' first goal...I think Harrison, quickly over to Murphy, to Ruutu, hard pass to Staal, he shoots quickly and Semin beats the D to the slot and buries the rebound. All in the matter of a few seconds. It was fast, find the open man, and boom...

It's all confidence, and the only ones who can find that are the players. Muller can tell them to do it quickly, but they have to execute, stop the hesitation, and just do it. After that first goal the Canes were all over them, every shift pretty much. That tells me that when they feel confident, they're as good as any team really. You might look up and down every roster and disagree, but a lot of the difference throughout the league comes down to experience and knowing what it takes to win.

No hesitation, no slowing down, going to the net hard...they can do it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You're telling me the coach doesn't control the players using a controller like in NHL14?

That would mean he's not 100% responsible for the player's acts on the ice.

What blasphemy are you speaking?!

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
You're telling me the coach doesn't control the players using a controller like in NHL14?

That would mean he's not 100% responsible for the player's acts on the ice.

What blasphemy are you speaking?!

I know, I know, I'm thinking outside the box here. I'm a little hopped up on prednisone and one of the side effects is moodiness (so my wife tells me), and it's just got me thinking...thinking crazy!!!

My absolute favorite rocky-ism is from tonight - in the GDT he stated that it was stupid Muller's new system that was stifling the first line because "as soon as the Hawks broke out of their zone the first line was thinking defense first."

Well F me, they probably should have all set up in the slot in front of Crawford just hoping for a blind, backwards pass back into the Hawks zone. That, my friend, is some insane hockey sense.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I may not agree with rocky all the time but can we stop incessantly bashing him please. It's starting to get as tiring as the conspiracy thread leaking into "real threads" others complained about.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

This is actually true. Unfortunately, Muller can never remember to fully charge the batteries to the controller he uses for Staal. So the next time people here want to complain about Staal's lazy backchecking, remember it's Muller's fault for not charging batteries.

This is 100% true. I have a inside source.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
When do full on shots beat a goalie in a shootout? its deke and roof it.

The Powerplay continues to be anemic. I did like the fight we showed in the second and third period.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is actually true. Unfortunately, Muller can never remember to fully charge the batteries to the controller he uses for Staal. So the next time people here want to complain about Staal's lazy backchecking, remember it's Muller's fault for not charging batteries.

This is 100% true. I have a inside source.

Well, I heard those chargers lose their power eventually anyway. Normally, I'd say we should just grab some Energizers or Duracells, but I'm not sure we can fit them under the cap.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
As I posted in the Buffalo GDT for the Buf/Chi game last Saturday - the offensive juggernaut known as the Blackhawks hasn't shown up yet this season - plus there has been some defensive lapses that either cost the Hawks a game or kept games close.

After scoring 6 goals in the opening game, they've scored only 9 over the past 4 games, and except for the game against the Blues, which was a pretty even contest, the Hawks have had long stretches of dominant play but just can't put the puck in the net.

Hossa has only 1 goal, but it was an empty net goal, Sharp, Bickell, Shaw and Keith haven't scored a goal yet.

Defensively, they gave up 3 power play goals against Washington. They let Tampa Bay score two goals to tie it up in the 3rd period after dominating the first two periods, and then went on to lose in the game in a shootout. They gave up the winning goal against the Blues in the last 21 seconds of the third. The gave up 2 goals in the last minute of the first period to the Islanders and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win. They couldn't protect a 2-0 third period lead against Buffalo and gave up a goal late in the third to make that a nail biter before eeking out a 2-1 win.

I don't know what's going on, but it's a good time to catch the Hawks because they are far from firing on all cylinders.

And the beat goes on ...

Hawks dominate the 1st period, score two goals, but don't cash in on many more chances. Then they end up haning on and give up two third period goals and barely squeek out a win. You guys probably should have won the game after the Hawks didn't bury you in the first period. As a Hawks fan - I'll take the win but the Hawks are sure leaving the door open to get beat every game.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
And the beat goes on ...

Hawks dominate the 1st period, score two goals, but don't cash in on many more chances. Then they end up haning on and give up two third period goals and barely squeek out a win. You guys probably should have won the game after the Hawks didn't bury you in the first period. As a Hawks fan - I'll take the win but the Hawks are sure leaving the door open to get beat every game.

seems like a bit of Stanley cup hangover to me.. thing is, Hawks are a lock for the playoffs while the Canes will have to claw to get there.

It's an effort game but the Hawks talent imo will carry them far til the effort catches up..or doesn't.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Bellemore likely out for Komisarek against Toronto. He didn't have a shift in the 3rd period when they went to 5 defense. That failed clear on the PP was facepalm. It seems like the helium might be draining for his balloon. Matt Corrente plays paintball shirtless in the AHL, so he might be worth a look.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
after watching this game at ice level, I am now totally convinced that this team' performance issues are solely a matter of a deficit of leadership and mental tenacity, rather than skill.

Eric Staal looked like a child throwing a tantrum out on the ice after the first goal against, and took that penalty. Skinner kept running his mouth to the refs- no wonder they get him for diving all the time.

And after Semin buried one, they snapped out of their little funk. After Hainsey scored, they were like dogs on raw meat. For a period, they reminded me of the Cardiac Canes of '05, methodically coming back from the brink. And then you saw them physically deflate again when the shootout came, like they knew what was coming.

Staal is not the guy to lead this team. They need somebody who keeps them calm, confident, and focused at all times. And obviously Muller isn't much of a leader either.

as a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes, never, never, ever say anything that can be considered critical of the local folk heros nor state an opinion contrary to the status quo. this board is a peaceful place to come to join in and feel like you belong somewhere where everyone agrees with you. a place where you are always right because most everyone thinks like you. you outsider you.

now here's how to say what you should have then you would have had post after post in agreement and be a real Canes fan. 1- after watching the game closely tonight, I agree with ya'll that this team has no issues and has just been very unlucky. 2- Eric is a quiet fella and a great leader who is looked up upon by his peers and leads by example however, sometimes his intense emotions get him in trouble but everyone understands. 3- even though Skinner is not a rookie anymore he just has to grow up a little and needs more time. contrary to popular belief, the refs are not the best of any sport 4- Muller is the mostest bestest NHL coach to ever don a suit and is on track to lead this team to the Stanley Cup with his brilliant systems that he finally got to establish in his first training camp. the results are self-evident and the team has bought into it fully as is evident by the total lack of offense but a few less GA. 5- never, ever say anything positive about Alexander Semin. if you do, noone will say a thing until the very next time he makes a mistake, then point out what a mistake it was to sign the enigmatic Russian. 6- never say anything positive about a new guy like Hainsey when he's playing well. wait until he strings together three good games and becomes a local folk hero. 7- the team doesn't deflate. they are just a little fragile but Muller is feverishly working on that by playing grinders on the top line and through-out the line-up with tons of ice time, to send a message to the talented floaters. Tlusty is a good example here.

the Carolina Hurricanes are an elite caliber NHL team just ask Tripp Tracy, the biggestest local legend from whom many get their hockey insight. always go with the flow because it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game and the Canes have been playing fantastic.......all things considered. what the hell's the matter with you? they ground out a point tonight. Cam Ward played like a Vezina winner (if not for that first goal) and just got beat by an unreal, once in a lifetime fluke in the SO. Crawford was just lucky and the Canes were just unlucky as usual.

just go with the flow if you actually give a damn at all.
one more thing. never let your emotions get the best of you and start a thread out of frustration about a Hurricanes folk hero and legend. cool off for a few days and things will become clear. you will realize that you were wrong and everyone else was right even if it doesn't make sense. then you will be a real Carolina Hurricanes fan on HF Boards.

Last edited:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I may not agree with rocky all the time but can we stop incessantly bashing him please. It's starting to get as tiring as the conspiracy thread leaking into "real threads" others complained about.

I appreciate the sentiment, I do. however, it's what some people do. some, not most. I guess it makes them feel well, ........................? I guess they feel a need to fulfill something. it's a true demonstration of intelligence perhaps.

and for what it's worth, I don't always agree with you either but so what? :)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have a tough time putting this on Mueller. There again, I think coaches in general get too much credit when things are going well too. I just don't believe they have as much impact on these guys as they're given credit for in many cases. Your money players still have to decide they want to be involved. Jordan and Eric have been in hibernation. Semin has been trying but he hasn't been succeeding much. Tlusty.... well it's fair to say that he's falling under even conservative expectations for his play heading into this season. Those of us that thought 30 goals was a possibility are reevaluating that position. None of those things are under Mueller's job description. The first line imploded and Skinner is the only consistent offensive threat we have on a game to game, shift to shift basis. Our visions of secondary scoring have evaporated because our secondary scores have become our primary scorers.

Bellemore and Harrison have been less than replacement level the last handful of games. Faulk has looked more human the last couple of games since injury. Murphy started off incredibly rocky, and still has bad flashes, but his confidence with the puck has increased by game to where he's giving decent minutes. Sekera has been the only real consistent all year. Hainsey started somewhat slow too.

Khudobin has been great obviously. Ward has been average. With the way the situation has played out above, it's tough to really put it all on Cam. He's had a few games where he was the difference for us and a few where he wasn't ....which is expected.

The worst part is that at -6 our trend likely continues downward instead of upwards. Usually teams that give up that kind of disparity in differential have terrible luck once the stats start to balance. I remember Tampa Bay last year being at the top of the standings with an incredibly modest differential and knowing the bottom would fall out on them. We stand to suffer the same fate.

The 4 on 3 in overtime should have sealed it. The blown timeout that prevented the Staal unit from being out for the last 30 seconds of that sequence may have cost us too.

For a team without Gleason and Pitkanen and without Ruutu for the first few games.... we did a decent job of treading water. Our forward unit lacks one more legitimate scoring winger, but with us paying those three players listed above like $20 million it's a tough task to replace them.

I expected way more out of Jordan Staal offensively. Not that I thought he was going to be a point per game guy, but I thought it wasn't unreasonable to see 60 points for him. His hands have just gone rock solid. That trade looks like it didn't work incredibly well for either team to this point and we're on the hook for a lot of money for a lot of years. Going from a team where your play is a luxury to where your play is depended upon is a big transition and one that I think Jordan has struggled with. I hope it's that at least and not that he came here for comfort after winning his Cup and decided to play it low key with his brother in Carolina. What would people be saying on the main boards had he signed for $60 million with a large market team and was playing this way? He hasn't been giving us a hell of a lot more than Sutter if he's not bringing offense. I know, metrics people, I know. They're good. But the goals and assists columns matter too when you're being paid for second line production, miscast or otherwise.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Vagrant

I agree with most of what you say (Jordan in a big way but to the other stuff) and to respond to what I've seen would be extensive. but, I see this team playing a very different game in every way from last season. a total different system from one end to the other. a complete transformation. I do not see anyone DOGGING it at all. players do as told by the coach. I see them having a difficult time adjusting to this way of play that Muller has installed.

in my opinion it is a one, total team defense system with the main objective to try to prevent the high GA seen last year, to compensate for a weak defense by demanding all forwards to become defensive, primarily. it is a system that puts offense on the back burner and that's ridiculous.

I don't believe that he is using his players to their strengths and they are struggling to be players they're not. this is so important and the biggest issue to me. I don't like how he uses the players, the lines and ice time in most situations. if a player is having some issue "coach" him. the player can learn and change. I don't buy this Skinner has no chemistry with everyone bs for eg.. Jiri blame and bouncing around is another. imo again, we are witnessing a team of guys who no longer know their rolls, rolls that they used to excell at. total transition for no reason. change is fine but don't misuse their natural abilities. allow them their game. confusion is obvious.

special teams are on the coach imo, solely. his set plays have not worked yet he will not adjust then blames the players for not properly executing. I never understood how the top line last year could be so dominant at ES yet so bad on the PP. didn't make sense. these guys are elite players. If Staal, Semin, Tlusty, Skinner, etc. can't score on the PP or 5 on 3 there is a problem with what they are being told to do.

I don't like Muller for several reasons but am not at the 'fire him' stage. I hope he takes responsibility and realizes that he and his staff must learn, improve and change accordingly. I have yet to see that from him . I see a smug guy who is quick to place full blame onto the players even when the players are executing his plans and they fail. I see him being out coached but not making adjustments. there is another team out there and games are not practises. there must be flexibility. I see panic when things don't go as planned. he doesn't seem to have the ability to adjust or adapt on the fly. of course this is all speculation and opinion from what I see.

it's still early and maybe things will come together but I want to hear him say "I" for a change didn't bring my A-game. "I" have to come up with a better PP. it is a rare thing for coaches but one that to me, is critical to team success. a thing I would respect in a leader and I believe players would respect and strive to accomodate as a "team". the coach to me is a part of a team, and shouldn't be authoritarian and he came in as such with his "accountability" motto. I believe players respond best when they feel respected like anyone would. Muller doesn't project that to me at all. it's difficult to express and it's just my opinion.

IMO the problem with Staal, Semin, and Tlusty this season is Muller and if this team is going to go anywhere, that has to change. it will only get worse as the players get more frustrated.

Last edited:

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I don't remember there being a SOG during the OT 4-on-3 PP even after a Chicago player lost his stick. Things like that are just bad execution

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
as a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes, never, never, ever say anything that can be considered critical of the local folk heros nor state an opinion contrary to the status quo. this board is a peaceful place to come to join in and feel like you belong somewhere where everyone agrees with you. a place where you are always right because most everyone thinks like you. you outsider you.

now here's how to say what you should have then you would have had post after post in agreement and be a real Canes fan. 1- after watching the game closely tonight, I agree with ya'll that this team has no issues and has just been very unlucky. 2- Eric is a quiet fella and a great leader who is looked up upon by his peers and leads by example however, sometimes his intense emotions get him in trouble but everyone understands. 3- even though Skinner is not a rookie anymore he just has to grow up a little and needs more time. contrary to popular belief, the refs are not the best of any sport 4- Muller is the mostest bestest NHL coach to ever don a suit and is on track to lead this team to the Stanley Cup with his brilliant systems that he finally got to establish in his first training camp. the results are self-evident and the team has bought into it fully as is evident by the total lack of offense but a few less GA. 5- never, ever say anything positive about Alexander Semin. if you do, noone will say a thing until the very next time he makes a mistake, then point out what a mistake it was to sign the enigmatic Russian. 6- never say anything positive about a new guy like Hainsey when he's playing well. wait until he strings together three good games and becomes a local folk hero. 7- the team doesn't deflate. they are just a little fragile but Muller is feverishly working on that by playing grinders on the top line and through-out the line-up with tons of ice time, to send a message to the talented floaters. Tlusty is a good example here.

the Carolina Hurricanes are an elite caliber NHL team just ask Tripp Tracy, the biggestest local legend from whom many get their hockey insight. always go with the flow because it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game and the Canes have been playing fantastic.......all things considered. what the hell's the matter with you? they ground out a point tonight. Cam Ward played like a Vesina winner (if not for that first goal) and just got beat by an unreal, once in a lifetime fluke in the SO. Crawford was just lucky and the Canes were just unlucky as usual.

just go with the flow if you actually give a damn at all.
one more thing. never let your emotions get the best of you and start a thread out of frustration about a Hurricanes folk hero and legend. cool off for a few days and things will become clear. you will realize that you were wrong and everyone else was right even if it doesn't make sense. then you will be a real Carolina Hurricanes fan on HF Boards.

You misspelled Vezina.

Also, you're wasting the internet.

--hank

Frank Booth239*

Couple of more observations-

Cam...yeah- I'm not an apologist. But that that breakaway goal on him was sprung by the sickest pass ever. But a good goalie should be able to stop one breakaway- but then again, it was Sharp. And the second goal was Hossa. It's not like he was letting scrubs score on him.

The ice. Holy ****. People have talked about how since that old dude who used to make our ice died it's quality has gone down radically. This is the first time I've been down at ice level since then. It really seemed to me like the puck was constantly rolling around and on edge, something you don't notice as much from father away.

Semin. Good lord, his wrist shot is like a cannon. Crawford picked off one he nearly scored on in the 1st- and it looked like a slapshot from someone else.

Rutuu- I know everybody loves to hate him now, but he seems about 85% of the way back to his old self. Banging folks, although not as hard as he used to. Of course, he was the only one doing this.

Does anybody wonder what these guys would do if they had a coach like Torterella demanding that they actually slam their bodies into other people and put them infront of pucks, and then savagely cursed them after the game if they failed to do so? I think Skinner and Eric would cry on each other's shoulders.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Vagrant....I agree that Bellemore has looked bad lately. I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

About JStaal, he is basically a $60 million 3rd line center. Was in Pittsburgh and is here. We cannot say that the trade hasn't worked out for both teams yet. Dumolin's future is still decent and who knows who we'd have in the system if we held onto that 1st round pick. Forsberg??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad