Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Here’s the thing. Kidney progressed for two years in juniors and then hit a wall turning pro. To be expected.

Mesar went from being pro to stagnating in juniors. There lies the difference in their post draft development

People will be surprised by this as I have been called a Mesar hater, but I think Mesar's game will translate better to the pros.

Kidney did seem to have finally put on some weight so maybe it changes things, but I still think his game will not translate.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
Mesar to me is exactly the type of pick many were calling for after a long list of late first round blunders. They went for skill, not size and well it might work it might not (far to early to say in my opinion) but I’ll give credit for at least targeting talent level. He came into this camp much bigger than last, strikes me as the type of player who will play up to the level of those around him but not ever really lead a line. Should be an interesting watch in Laval

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Here’s the thing. Kidney progressed for two years in juniors and then hit a wall turning pro. To be expected.

Mesar went from being pro to stagnating in juniors. There lies the difference in their post draft development

I still feel he shouldn't have come over. I wish he stayed in Europe for a few years until he was ready to come over.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Mesar to me is exactly the type of pick many were calling for after a long list of late first round blunders. They went for skill, not size and well it might work it might not (far to early to say in my opinion) but I’ll give credit for at least targeting talent level. He came into this camp much bigger than last, strikes me as the type of player who will play up to the level of those around him but not ever really lead a line. Should be an interesting watch in Laval
That's what people forget. Last 1st rounders should be swings for the fences. Don't go for a Chipchura, who was always going to ba 4th liner, best case scenario 3rd liner...

Take a boom or bust guy and hope for the best. That's what we did with Mesar! So far he's busting, but let's see what he can do in Laval. It's fine either way.

Ok bud, just completely miss the point of what I said then.

Beck is a heart and soul player, with lots of technical skill and good physical attributes. Of course I appreciate his game. I think he will be a welcome replacement for Evans one day. He definitely does not have poise or vision enough for a potential top 9 center role in the NHL, in my opinion.

Mesar, on the other hand, does have the poise and vision required to be a top-9 NHLer.

I changed from "IQ" to "poise and vision" to be specific to my point.

Hope to be wrong on Beck and right on Mesar, let's see what happens this season.
He hasn't shown it just yet, but Owen Beck could be a Danault-type that can play a complimentary top-6 role in the NHL.

Reactions: Rapala

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Ill be here to laugh this one out.

Mesar will do-mi-nate in laval this year

I called the 200 pts before his first ohl game not after.

I have growned up
I'm a huge Mesar fan, but I can't help but think you bring on a lot of the hate here against Mesar by yourself.

He will not dominate this year. But I do believe he will have a solid year. He's not even going to have the opportunity to dominate because he's not going to be handed the keys to the city from the start. He's going to have to work hard and prove he belongs, which I think he will.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Agreed that would have been a better development path for him.
He tried to tell them from day 1 that junior hockey was not for him. Some people just know what is best for them because they know themselves.

He was used to playing against men and wanted to continue.

Who knows? Maybe he knew that he would "slack" on the physical aspect because of playing against kids. Or maybe he doesn't have the confidence in himself to not make bad decisions... playing in the OHL is a lot different than a men's league. Less mature, essentially. Maybe Mesar knew he wouldn't do good in the environment. Maybe he constantly needs to be challenged? I know I'm like that. If I work with a hard worker, I bust my ass off. If I work with a lazy ass, I do the same. I need to be challenged to get the best out of myself.. maybe he's the same.

When he wanted to turn it on, he dominated games. But it just didn't happen often.

I honestly think the best path was Slovakia or Switzerland for a year, then Laval last year. But we'll see what happens.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Send him to Europe to rebuild his confidence. The "adapt to the NA game" strategy has been a fiasco. Not because something "make sense" that it is what works.

Kid needs a break and some breathing room.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Send him to Europe to rebuild his confidence. The "adapt to the NA game" strategy has been a fiasco. Not because something "make sense" that it is what works.

He needs to show he can produce in NA pro hockey.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He needs to show he can produce in NA pro hockey.

He won't show it if his psychology is buried in doubts and his confidence destroyed by several seasons of bad adaptation.

Rather have him thrive in Europe closer to home and then come back later.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He won't show it if his psychology is buried in doubts and his confidence destroyed by several seasons of bad adaptation.

Rather have him thrive in Europe closer to home and then come back later.
I think based on some of the glimpses I saw i. Pretty season that he will produce decently in Laval. 40-45 points

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I'm a huge Mesar fan, but I can't help but think you bring on a lot of the hate here against Mesar by yourself.

He will not dominate this year. But I do believe he will have a solid year. He's not even going to have the opportunity to dominate because he's not going to be handed the keys to the city from the start. He's going to have to work hard and prove he belongs, which I think he will.

I am counting that he'll be playing top PP minutes and he'll prove his worth this way while building his all around game. Im hoping by mid December he'll be running the first line and be playing top PP minutes at the same time. He was 2 PPG player in the Juniors, he did well in the Playoffs as well as the WJC. They really have to hate him otherwise.

Well BPM sports did a survery recently amongst their "experts" and 5 out of 8 guys gave him a D grade, they had him as the worst prospect. While Renaud Lavoie gave him a B+ grade and he had him in his top 3 best prospects.

Martin McGuire 98.5 play by play guy exclusively said on radio that Mesar was one of the better players on the ice during the second pre-season game.

I think who ever is watching him play gets it. Those who don't, whine and complain and try to force feed us their baseless opinions.

As for him dominating this year... im counting that Pascal Vincent is bright enough to realise the talent of Mesar. Mesar certainly can dominate on the scoresheet and do it regularly, its all about confidence and trust.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

How has it been a fiasco? Him being just under a PPG playier his first year at Kitchener and over a PPG his second season + playoffs is a fiasco to you?

Reactions: Miller Time

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yah that's not dominating

that would be an excellent season though, 50 pts for a 20 year old rookie. I have never been much of a fan as I often say, players that work hard when they feel like either learn quickly that their skill level will only take them so far so they either buy in and work hard consistently or they don't and end up in the Euro leagues.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not sure what his point totals will be but he's probably PP2 to start.. Farrell likely plays his position on PP1 and has earned that right after his rookie AHL year last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad