Chiarot - Seider

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Using this a the D corp thread.

Lalonde was asked about putting Maatta and Hronek together again. Specifically cites not wanting to drop Chia to 5/6 as a reason not to. Even though Maatta/Hronek were great together.

That's a bad reason, imo. ES ice is largely even anyway.
Little bit o' tanking here, little bit o' tanking there......

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Lalonde was asked about putting Maatta and Hronek together again. Specifically cites not wanting to drop Chia to 5/6 as a reason not to. Even though Maatta/Hronek were great together.

That sounds a lot like star management. Maybe part of the Chiarot contract negotiation was a discussion about usage and a promise given to keep him in the top 4? Either way, Chiarot should not be near Seider or Hronek.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Blueline stats since Mo and Chia got split up.

Really wish they'd reunite Maatta and Hronek and cut Chia's TOI by about 5min. Crazy that Fil's been able to keep somewhat afloat given Chia's stats.

1675836171340.png
1675836209668.png

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Can't he just write "Maatta Hronek" as 3rd line on paper, but then deploy then however it actually makes sense?

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

That's a concerning take from our coach

Chiarot is an absolute disaster for this team. The first goal against last night is the perfect example. He needs WAY less minutes and responsibility. He's -20 while exclusively being paired with our two best defenseman...

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It sucks, but Chiarot is our worst defenseman. Oesterle has been better than him this year.
Worse than Oesterle is AHL level, lol.

Oesterle has only looked good on the right side next to Walman, I think it speaks more of Walman's abilities than any improvement on behalf of Oesterle. He has not looked good with Maatta.

Reactions: Sentinel

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
And then some.

His play with Walman (admittedly a small sample size) extrapolated out over 82 games is a 71 point, +2, 200+ hits, 200+ blocked shots, 23 min/game in all situations season.
It really is telling that the moment he and Chiarot are seperated he goes back to equal/better the offensive pace he was on last year.

Chiarot needs a defensive dman partner. He tries to hard to be an offensive/physical guy.

I miss Maata/Hronek. Hronek was playing the best hockey of his career.

Chia can sulk in the corner on the 3rd pair. Its ridiculous to play one of the worst dman up the lineup in the NHL atm just because you might hurt his feelings. He makes almost 5 mil a year. Play better, get more ice time. Unless they are trying to tank this is doing nothing but hurting the team.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Chiarot should not rise above the 3rd pairing. He's got a touch of shit.
It's painfully obvious. Both eye test and analytics that he's not cut out to face the top half of the opposition.

I just hope it doesn't take 34 games of Chia-Hronek for Lalonde to come to that realization like it took for Chia-Mo...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's painfully obvious. Both eye test and analytics that he's not cut out to face the top half of the opposition.

I just hope it doesn't take 34 games of Chia-Hronek for Lalonde to come to that realization like it took for Chia-Mo...
Fester seems somewhat stubborn

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I would really like Chiarot if he were on a better contract and played on the 3rd pair. I can get down with his play style if it were deployed correctly. But alas.

This guy is going to be a headache for another 3 years isn't he?

Reactions: raymond23

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I would really like Chiarot if he were on a better contract and played on the 3rd pair. I can get down with his play style if it were deployed correctly. But alas.

This guy is going to be a headache for another 3 years isn't he?
If Ed emphatically outplays him (not hard) next fall it might sort itself out naturally.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
If Ed emphatically outplays him (not hard) next fall it might sort itself out naturally.
Here's to hoping. Sounds like management/coaching is pretty hell-bent on keeping Chiarot in the top-4 though. Which, if Ed emphatically shows he's top-4 capable, I fear him being squirreled away on the 3rd pair anyway, or Walman (assuming he's re-signed) being moved off of Seider's pair and put on the 3rd pair.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Here's to hoping. Sounds like management/coaching is pretty hell-bent on keeping Chiarot in the top-4 though. Which, if Ed emphatically shows he's top-4 capable, I fear him being squirreled away on the 3rd pair anyway, or Walman (assuming he's re-signed) being moved off of Seider's pair and put on the 3rd pair.
I just want to know what our analytics guy is doing. The disparity in pairing performance we have seen this year doesn't need a lot of explaining or nuanced understanding of hockey to evaluate.

Chia - Mo = dumpster fire
Walman - Mo = great all around
Maatta - Hronek = great all around
Chia - Hronek = dumpster fire
Maatta - Oesterle = dumpster fire
Walman - Hronek = decent 2nd
Walman - Oesterle = passable 3rd
Any combination with Hagg = dumpster fire
Lindstrom only looked passable with Ed

Reactions: ricky0034

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It sucks, but Chiarot is our worst defenseman. Oesterle has been better than him this year.

Quite sure Hägg and Lindström are worse, but Chiarot is the worst who has Top-pair / Top4 responsibility.

Just have to wait for Edvinsson to grow and then Chiarot will be naturally slotted to 3rd pair.

But hey, yesterdays game he wasn't scored against. It was Hägg and Hronek on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad