Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

We received the better player who is much closer to being a full time contributor at the NHL level. JB has really impressed me with this deal.

Well of course we received the better player, right now. Clendening is ahead of Forsling in regards to development time, so it's hard to say who actually got the better player.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Clendening and Forsling aren't really that similar of players.

Agreed. In my opinion Forsling is a better skater, and his offensive game revolves around his shot from the point both in terms of velocity and ability to get it through. He's only average at the transition game and on the breakout. I also think his defensive game will be slightly better than Clendening's, though both will be average to below average in that regard.

On the other hand Clendening is a better passer and puck mover, sees the ice better in transition, and is a more dynamic threat on the PP with his ability to shoot or feint and then distribute equally well. To me when I was watching Forsling at WJC I knew exactly what he was going to do almost every play, whereas Clendening doesn't telegraph his play nearly as much, in fact he appears high end in his ability to hide his intentions and use that ability to create space and scoring chances.

Overall I think Clendening's offensive game translates better at the NHL level. Weber has a big shot too but he doesn't have a lot of value because it's that ability to distribute and create scoring chances for teammates that really drives production in offensive dmen - if you only have a big shot it's easier to guard against that as opposed to a dman who can punish you for overplaying a shot by making a sweet dish to the open man. And given that neither of these players will be in the NHL for their defensive game, that bodes well for Clendening's NHL value compared to Forsling.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Clendening and Forsling aren't really that similar of players.

This is true, Clendening's scouting reports says he is a puck-mover, first pass type of defenceman with some grit. Forsling is a pure PPQB with a rocket shot.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If you guys want to see Blackhawks GM, Stan Bowman, basically describe Clendening as the next Bobby Orr, check out this video:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
So let me get this straight...

We got an NHL ready prospect D-man; RHS; Puck mover; 22 yrs old; trending high adter good showings in the AHL...

And we gave up a 5th round pick?

How can anyone complain? This is like the Vey trade: a future that may or may not pan out in exchange for a young NHL ready prospect that fills a team need.

This, combined with Corrado's showing during his call-up, makes Weber and Sbisa completely expendable. Stanton, too, but he's the best of the 3 IMO, and played with Clendining in the AHL.

This is how you build youth. Bad GMs make these kinds of trades for UFAs or other project prospects. Benning has, three times now, traded for prospects from teams who are logjammed. It would be like if we traded Gaunce/Cassels/McCann for a pick of significantly lower value just because we have a lot of bottom 6 ayers already (except none of those players have shown well in the AHL like the ones we got have).

Well done, Benning. Just like there was a spot for Vey to take, there is one for Clendening right away.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

We got an NHL ready prospect D-man; RHS; Puck mover; 22 yrs old; trending high adter good showings in the AHL...

How can anyone complain? This is like the Vey trade: a future that may or may not pan out in exchange for a young NHL ready prospect that fills a team need.

1) It is disingenuous to call Forsling a 5th round pick. If you want to play that game, then in evaluating the Vey trade you have to say we traded a second round pick for a 4th round pick! It doesn't work that way and you ****ing know it.

2) He doesn't really fill a need. Our need, above all else, is a top-4 defenseman, which nobody thinks he is. He takes Weber's spot, which may or may not be an immediate upgrade. Maybe AC has a higher ceiling and develops into a top-4 D, but for this season I was fine with keeping Weber and seeing how Forsling progresses.

If he takes Sbisa's spot then great but we all know that won't happen.

PRNuck

May 20, 2009
Calgary

This, combined with Corrado's showing during his call-up, makes Weber and Sbisa completely expendable. Stanton, too, but he's the best of the 3 IMO, and played with Clendining in the AHL.

This is how you build youth. Bad GMs make these kinds of trades for UFAs or other project prospects. Benning has, three times now, traded for prospects from teams who are logjammed. It would be like if we traded Gaunce/Cassels/McCann for a pick of significantly lower value just because we have a lot of bottom 6 ayers already (except none of those players have shown well in the AHL like the ones we got have).

Well done, Benning. Just like there was a spot for Vey to take, there is one for Clendening right away.

To add to your post, I'd like to point out that the bolded is what everyone around here is always *****ing that we need the most.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
To add to your post, I'd like to point out that the bolded is what everyone around here is always *****ing that we need the most.

No it isn't.

We need a young RHS puck mover, yes, but nobody has been asking for an "NHL ready prospect." Clendening isn't going to QB the power play and play top-4 minutes. He fits Weber's role, which Weber was doing fine in.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Alright, with that in mind, what/who do you propose we should've acquired Clendening with?

Wonder if they would've been interested in Kassian?

At this point, I might've preferred to keep Forsling over Kassian.

Last edited:

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
No it isn't.

We need a young RHS puck mover, yes, but nobody has been asking for an "NHL ready prospect." Clendening isn't going to QB the power play and play top-4 minutes. He fits Weber's role, which Weber was doing fine in.

He doesn't need to be playing top 4 minutes to contribute on a powerplay unit. Vey's early season PP success can from when he was on the 4th line. Clendening and Weber (and Frosling for that matter) are completely different in terms of style in the offensive zone. Clendening being a passer/distributor while Weber is a trigger man. The second has needed an upgrade, without question, we'll if Clendening brings that.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There is a clear distinction between Weber and Clendening, which is grit. Clendening plays a more physical game and battles on boards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Think what makes 'Nuck fans a little uneasy is that the Hawks could have shipped Clendening anywhere and probably got a least a prospect or a draft pick back again....instead they held out for Forsling, whom they've obviously scouted in Sweden and also at the WJC where he was an all-star...obviously saw something they liked in this guy, the same way they pirated Nick Leddy out of Minny for Cam Barker (yikes!).... just hoping this trade doesn't bite us in the butt someday.:sarcasm:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
No it isn't.

It kind of is the most asked for thing... "young RH PMD stud" is asked for all the time... I know because I see it often and laugh because it is basically a unicorn as far as trading for one goes...

Time will tell if this one is a stud but you have to be in to win...

But no one trades a stud in the hand

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Because the Hawks seem like an organization that would do that

They had to move Clendenning when they had a scouting report on Dalhstrom they must've also got a scouting report on Forsling. Thought that the trade would be pretty equal and traded him. Doubt the Hawks Swedish scouts are better than Gradin. Pretty equal trade tbh

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't Clendening have an excellent world Jr's as well...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad