Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
No it isn't.

We need a young RHS puck mover, yes, but nobody has been asking for an "NHL ready prospect." Clendening isn't going to QB the power play and play top-4 minutes. He fits Weber's role, which Weber was doing fine in.

What? That's exactly what we've been asking for. :laugh: If he doesn't outplay Weber, then sure it's not a great trade. However, before seeing him on the ice there's no way to make that pronouncement.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
1) It is disingenuous to call Forsling a 5th round pick. If you want to play that game, then in evaluating the Vey trade you have to say we traded a second round pick for a 4th round pick! It doesn't work that way and you ****ing know it.

2) He doesn't really fill a need. Our need, above all else, is a top-4 defenseman, which nobody thinks he is. He takes Weber's spot, which may or may not be an immediate upgrade. Maybe AC has a higher ceiling and develops into a top-4 D, but for this season I was fine with keeping Weber and seeing how Forsling progresses.

If he takes Sbisa's spot then great but we all know that won't happen.

This is only true if you wrongly believe our need is to throw assets at trying to remain competitive in the present.

This team is doomed to bleed-out over the next three or four seasons, and that's generally the same period of time for a young rookie to step forward and become a contributing NHL regular. When their done bleeding, I 'd rather they have some contributing, competitive pieces in place then continuing to wait another three for Forsling to acclimate (And that's generously assuming Forsling can even make it past the AHL).

I also think Forsling is a redundant asset, thanks to Jordan Subban (who they better damn well sign soon).

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
This is only true if you wrongly believe our need is to throw assets at trying to remain competitive in the present.

This team is doomed to bleed-out over the next three or four seasons, and that's generally the same period of time for a young rookie to step forward and become a contributing NHL regular. When their done bleeding, I 'd rather they have some contributing, competitive pieces in place then continuing to wait another three for Forsling to acclimate (And that's generously assuming Forsling can even make it past the AHL).

I'd argue Corrado already fills that role. 21 year olds and looks like a guy who could easily be a 2nd pairing right side defenseman.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'd argue Corrado already fills that role. 21 year olds and looks like a guy who could easily be a 2nd pairing right side defenseman.
You still need six defensemen. Also, given the timeframe you're talking about, you also need redundancy to hedge your bets (especially with Tanev in UFA territory - never an easy negotiation). Different skill sets, too - I'm optimistic with Corrado but I don't predict him him being a power play guy.

edit: Heck, I think even having both Corrado and Clendenning isn't enough. I look at the Avalanche and Oilers who tried to rebuild without any meaningful succession plans on D and look how it worked out for them. Even the Sens, who struck gold with Karlson in the 2008 draft, only really have one contributing NHL defensemen 5 years later. And that's after spending a 9th overall on a defensemen the very next year, too (Cowen).

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

And now we have two bites at the cherry... and if they are both good we can trade one...

I like Corrado more... though I know nothing about this dude

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
And now we have two bites at the cherry... and if they are both good we can trade one...

I like Corrado more... though I know nothing about this dude

I'm pretty optimistic about Corrado but we're talking 0.4 PPG in the AHL compared to Clendening's 0.8 ppg. Clendening has more upside.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm pretty optimistic about Corrado but we're talking 0.4 PPG in the AHL compared to Clendening's 0.8 ppg. Clendening has more upside.

Ehhh, that's so simplistic. Tanev seems to have more upside than both of them and never broke .4PPG in the AHL, even at age 22.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
So what is the depth as it stands

LS/RS

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado
Sbisa-Weber
????-Clendenning

I think it's like this as the moment:

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - X
Y - X

The variables are fluid.

X= Corrado, Clendening, Weber, Bieksa

Y= Sbisa, Stanton

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Ehhh, that's so simplistic. Tanev seems to have more upside than both of them and never broke .4PPG in the AHL, even at age 22.
I think more often than not you'll find Tanev is the exception. His path of development is indeed why I'm optimistic about Corrado but that's also tempered with the knowledge that lightning usually doesn't strike twice.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
They had to move Clendenning when they had a scouting report on Dalhstrom they must've also got a scouting report on Forsling. Thought that the trade would be pretty equal and traded him. Doubt the Hawks Swedish scouts are better than Gradin. Pretty equal trade tbh

FWIW, i like this trade. The guy we got has developed well since being drafted, fills a pressing need and has considerable (imo) upside. forsling, though headed in the right direction, is a risky bet to be a successful NHLer.

As for Gradin, is anyone else sick of hearing about his scouting prowess? He hasn't been responsible for drafting a single, solitary serviceable NHL player.....EVER. Why this guy is still employed by the canucks is a mystery to me.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
When does Bieska's contract run out and when does Corrado qualify for waivers?

End of next year for Bieksa.

I think Corrado has 32 NHL games to play before his waiver exemption expires, though I'm unsure how that's affected if he signs a two-way deal next year. In any case, Corrado's ELC expires this year and it seems about time to start using him as an NHL regular.

edit: I effed that up. If Corrado completes this season and the next, his waiver exemption expires. If he plays 42 more NHL games, his waiver exemption expires.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Hopefully it means Bennings stabs Bieksa in the back ala Garrison. It's time **** off Kev, you can do more for this team by not being here than staying.

:laugh:

Seriously though, good luck on signing significant free agents without a NTC to this team from now on as a protection against that happening to said player in the future.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
****.... That might be a problem...

Sorry man, I effed that up.

Achieving either of these requirements will end Corrado's waiver exemption:
1. He plays out this season and the next year's season
2. He plays 42 more NHL games.

So if you're hoping to slot in Corrado as Bieksa's contract expires, this is entirely possible but requires stashing Corrado in the AHL for another season.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
FWIW, i like this trade. The guy we got has developed well since being drafted, fills a pressing need and has considerable (imo) upside. forsling, though headed in the right direction, is a risky bet to be a successful NHLer.

As for Gradin, is anyone else sick of hearing about his scouting prowess? He hasn't been responsible for drafting a single, solitary serviceable NHL player.....EVER. Why this guy is still employed by the canucks is a mystery to me.

Edler?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
:laugh:

Seriously though, good luck on signing significant free agents without a NTC to this team from now on as a protection against that happening to said player in the future.

It's not what it used to be, teams are always forcing out players not living up to their contracts: buyouts, AHL, forced trades etc and those teams still have players lining up to sign with them no matter how big a dirt bag the GM seems to be (Garrison forced out, yet Sbisa and Miller didn't blink about taking the cash). If Bieksa got the Mike Richards to the AHL treatment would anyone blink, they both earn a mucho salary, they both fail at earning it. I guess they could buy him out, but he'd probably rather get traded than have that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad