Confirmed Trade: [CHI/OTT] Nikita Zaitsev, 2023 2nd round pick, and 2026 4th round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Lol what upswing? They're second to last in their division and on pace for about the same # of points as last year.

They are on pace for 85 points this year that's 12 points more than last. They've also been without their 1C this year + haven't had healthy goalies. The Sens are definitely on the upswing.

The atalantic (aside from my Habs) is just really good. If they make an acquisition and go on a little bit of a win streak they could make the playoffs.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Don't need space this year, but they need space next year.

Could be a case of just getting it over with now.
Still seems weird to me. That's a lot to give up when they could have just bought him out for like 2.75 a year for two years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Don't need space this year, but they need space next year.

Could be a case of just getting it over with now.

Would have been cheaper to trade Zaitsev this summer after his 2023-24 signing bonus was paid (assuming it is paid in July rather than later in the season).

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Currently on pace for about 12 more points than last year.
so-impressed.gif

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I wish we could move Krug. However like Billy Bob Thornton said in Bad Santa, “wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first”.

You think Colton would really waive for Ottawa?
Great quote - no idea…your guess is as good as mine. I could make a case of why he might (good young team, new arena on the way, new ownership that will want to win, etc). Could also make a case why he wouldn’t just as easily (team is far from contending, uncertain ownership, etc).

Seems unlikely to me, but there’s been smoke around Ottawa and the Blues… :dunno:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Still seems weird to me. That's a lot to give up when they could have just bought him out for like 2.75 a year for two years.
Buyout is probably not a good option. Sens are going to be extreeeemely tight in 2024-25, since that's when Sanderson will be due (I would not be shocked to see $8M-$10M x 8), and it's 1 year before Giroux comes off the books. This all assuming DeBrincat is re-signed for 8-8.5.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Earlier in the season, yes two 2nds. That price has been declining as the season progresses.

Also as I mentioned I think the Ottawa 2023 2nd holds more value than the average historical 2nd included in these sorts of deals.

It’s slightly below average. But not notably so. Average would be 48th-49th. That pick stands to be … 42. They won’t fall to bottom-6 and probably won’t even be among the worst two teams of the next tier.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Chicago accumulating more draft picks for the rebuild.

Nikita Zaitsev could easily be buried in the minors next season.
I think Chicago won't need to worry about that with clearing 21 million alone from kane and toews they might need him to stay around the cap floor.
Plus I think McCabe is getting moved

Reactions: Sinbad

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Would have been cheaper to trade Zaitsev this summer after his 2023-24 signing bonus was paid (assuming it is paid in July rather than later in the season).
Maybe, maybe not. Sounds like Dorion really wanted to trade him last summer and had no buyers. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you can do it now, why risk not having a buyer next summer.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Heeeere comes Weeeeegar.
People will mock me but Myers @25%. This is the same GM who gave a 3rd up for a much worse Hamonic. Myers at 4-4.5 not on the top pair with a partner who would be the better of the two is fine, where Myers gets in trouble is when he's the better on the 2nd pairing like last night

• Haha
Reactions: swiftwin

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
How does the 4.5 cap hit get broken down. If they paid 2 million signing bonus.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Well other good news for Chicago is that he's been pretty playable over the last month or so.

He does have his unplayable stretches though.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Buyout is probably not a good option. Sens are going to be extreeeemely tight in 2024-25, since that's when Sanderson will be due (I would not be shocked to see $8M-$10M x 8), and it's 1 year before Giroux comes off the books. This all assuming DeBrincat is re-signed for 8-8.5.
Fair, just seemed like Ottawa had the space to bury Zait next year without losing a high 2nd rounder in a deep draft. Just seems like a poor use of resources and way more than they spent on dumping Matt Murray.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Maybe, maybe not. Sounds like Dorion really wanted to trade him last summer and had no buyers. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you can do it now, why risk not having a buyer next summer.

his salary after bonus would be $2.5M. They waited to trade him then, would have been less to add than now.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You’re assuming they asked the Isles.

We have a “fan” on the Hawk page who bitches every time a move is made because our GM didn’t do it

Why wouldn't there be a group chat with all 30 GM's where they can all see when a player is available and start a bidding war?

I don't see the logic in offering up a guy to only a handful of teams and not allowing other teams to top that offer...

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad