Chewing the Mouthguard Looks Classless and is Careless

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Sooo many players do it, and it does look dumb. Not to mention they are probably ingesting a bunch of plastic..

Reactions: Tofveve

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Of all the things in the sport to get uptight about, it's this? What a weird thing to die on a hill for. lol

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan, but him constantly chewing the piece of plastic (that was once formed to cover his teeth to help prevent concussions and loss of teeth) looks so dumb. And I've noticed a few other players doing it too. Looks classless. I wonder what insurance thinks about it? Wonder if the NHL cares? Looks so idiotic to me and obviously defeats the purpose of the mouthguard.

*edit- I played with a mouthguard, it's literally not a big deal at all and they serve a valuable purpose.
Seems like you're making a mountain out of a mouth guard.

• Haha

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I think what's worst is people that have a visor, but don't wear it properly (angled up too high defeating the purpose). Kevin Hayes does it

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan, but him constantly chewing the piece of plastic (that was once formed to cover his teeth to help prevent concussions and loss of teeth) looks so dumb. And I've noticed a few other players doing it too. Looks classless. I wonder what insurance thinks about it? Wonder if the NHL cares? Looks so idiotic to me and obviously defeats the purpose of the mouthguard.

*edit- I played with a mouthguard, it's literally not a big deal at all and they serve a valuable purpose.
Is this where it’s appropriate to say “Ok boomer”?

I think what's worst is people that have a visor, but don't wear it properly (angled up too high defeating the purpose). Kevin Hayes does it
I hate this.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
I chewed mine a lot when I was a kid too. Both my hockey and football mouth guard. I think it was more of a nervous habit more then anything. Didn’t have anything to do with being some cocky classless punk but whatever.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I want to know why they are mandated by the NHL, when they don't wear them as intended?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Never really thought about it tbh.

0usUldy.png

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Don't know about classless or careless, but it sure looks very idiotic. Reminds of little kids at the point of their life where they stick everything in their mouth and chew it.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Hmm.....is that how I look golfing with a tee in my mouth?

But then, I do it cause golfing is a major smoking trigger for me.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There’s variable evidence to support it (last I saw - some studies showed it help other didn’t) but it is a hypothesis that was out there. However the biometrics in advanced mouthguards IIRC can detect probable concussions (apparently - I’ve not read up on the detail).

Reactions: BrokenFace

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I watch a LOT of Junior A hockey, and it is very common there too.

I think it's kinda silly, but I also played beer league with a half-visor and no mouthguard, so who's the real idiot?

(it was me)

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
OP makes a good point. I find it super annoying and get a urge to punch whoever does it in the jaw so they spit out the mouth guard onto the ice.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
It looks really stupid. They should treat it like the visor. Either west it appropriately or it’s a penalty.
I still remember when Komarov got a penalty. He used to where is visor so far pushed up it was ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad