Chewing the Mouthguard Looks Classless and is Careless

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Its about time we draw attention to the plight of mouth guards everywhere, someone needs to stick up for them and the millions of people world wide that are traumatized by the observing of them being mercilessly chewed on. Personally, I identify as mouth guard, and am in favor of legal protection status for mouth guardians everywhere.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan, but him constantly chewing the piece of plastic (that was once formed to cover his teeth to help prevent concussions and loss of teeth) looks so dumb. And I've noticed a few other players doing it too. Looks classless. I wonder what insurance thinks about it? Wonder if the NHL cares? Looks so idiotic to me and obviously defeats the purpose of the mouthguard.

*edit- I played with a mouthguard, it's literally not a big deal at all and they serve a valuable purpose.
Shoo 3.gif

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan, but him constantly chewing the piece of plastic (that was once formed to cover his teeth to help prevent concussions and loss of teeth) looks so dumb. And I've noticed a few other players doing it too. Looks classless. I wonder what insurance thinks about it? Wonder if the NHL cares? Looks so idiotic to me and obviously defeats the purpose of the mouthguard.

*edit- I played with a mouthguard, it's literally not a big deal at all and they serve a valuable purpose.

Chill out, hall monitor.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
These guys should just not wear a mouthguard if they aren't going to wear it properly. It's like people wearing masks below their nose. They aren't really wearing a mask, so why wear it at all?

Jake Sanderson also wears his mouthguard this way sometimes, he should just get rid of it, as it serves no purpose.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I mean, they've got plastic clamped between their teeth, at least on one side. So it still kinda works when it's being chewed on.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Instead of a 2 minute penalty, how about the extraction of a tooth by the opposing teams medical staff. Pliers and all.

To me, it is no crime and bears it's own penalty. Tkachuks might reference what happened to their dad.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

What an old man yelling at clouds type of thing to get annoyed about. Classless? A little excessive, no?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t care and yet agree at the same time. It makes you look like a tool, but we all make choices in life and if that is yours…so be it. You’re a tool. Life goes on.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Most players chew on them constantly, so it’s kinda odd to call out only Tkachuk.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
I just found an old pic of me from many years ago doing this in beer league warm ups. But, during play I would wear it properly. There is just something about them (the bulkier rubber ones) that are uncomfortable, yes even though it was molded to my mouth) and almost gag-inducing when wearing them. When I was playing youth hockey I had to wear one, that was always a pain in the ass to have doddling around your face when it wasn't in your mouth, while it was attached to your cage with the strap.

That said, I switched over to wearing cage and stopped wearing a mouthguard.
Truly, do people wear mouth guards in pick-up or beer league? I stopped wearing one after competitive hockey, but I also always kept a cage on because I’m not losing my eye or getting my teeth knocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad