Chewing the Mouthguard Looks Classless and is Careless

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan, but him constantly chewing the piece of plastic (that was once formed to cover his teeth to help prevent concussions and loss of teeth) looks so dumb. And I've noticed a few other players doing it too. Looks classless. I wonder what insurance thinks about it? Wonder if the NHL cares? Looks so idiotic to me and obviously defeats the purpose of the mouthguard.

*edit- I played with a mouthguard, it's literally not a big deal at all and they serve a valuable purpose.

I'm a big Matthew Tkachuk fan, but him constantly chewing the piece of plastic (that was once formed to cover his teeth to help prevent concussions and loss of teeth) looks so dumb. And I've noticed a few other players doing it too. Looks classless. I wonder what insurance thinks about it? Wonder if the NHL cares? Looks so idiotic to me and obviously defeats the purpose of the mouthguard.

*edit- I played with a mouthguard, it's literally not a big deal at all and they serve a valuable purpose.
Very child like look.
If it helps him stop sucking his thumb, I guess it's OK with his mom. 😄

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This is one of those threads where nobody actually cares, but the OP is still 100% correct. So I guess that means I care enough to have an opinion, but I’ve already forgotten where this comment was going so I guess the issue really isn’t important. So uh, yeah, keep your cats indoors for the sake of local songbird populations and Matt Tkachuk is a dbag no matter what’s in his mouth.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
it comes from when these guys were teenagers in Junior and they thought it looked "cool" to be chewing on their mouth guard instead of actually having it in the mouths doing what's it's supposed to do. and by the time they get to the NHL it's such an ingrained unconscious habit that they don't even notice they're doing it, but they would notice if it wasn't there.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

6B21BC84-F663-4649-964B-CB44BF1A1B7B.jpeg

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It's commonly supported by doctors and research that mouthpieces can lower the risk of concussions.

This was a good read in the Athletic last week
This is the only real issue I have with the mouthguards. As a youth football coach it's an absolute challenge to get these kids to wear their mouthguards, and wear them properly. At lower levels of football they're very strict about this thankfully, to the point where officials will not let a play begin if they notice players not wearing them.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Kids these days. No respect. And the complete disregard for safety. Should make a new rule -- a bunch of new rules. This needs to stop.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Matthew Tkachuk certainly looks childish with it. Use it or don't. It definitely is cringey during the ESPN star camera spotlight where it shows he literally does it the entire game.

The parents and coaches have to monitor the kids trying to emulate it now.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
It kinda fits Tkachuk's on ice persona. Dirty greasy punk behavior is his specialty and everytime the camera pans to him he's chewing that damn thing. I respect it.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Yeah, it is careless, but since it only affects them and their teeth, who cares? They are rich, if they want to waste money on impants later in life, that's their cause. I have no opinion of it being classless because it has no effect on anyone else near as I can tell. If it bothers you that much you need a hobby.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Matthew Tkachuk certainly looks childish with it. Use it or don't. It definitely is cringey during the ESPN star camera spotlight where it shows he literally does it the entire game.

The parents and coaches have to monitor the kids trying to emulate it now.

And the mouthguard looks like a crushed chunk of plastic. That's the thing, I notice it most when they're focusing in on Tkachuk, or he's mic'd up etc and he's constantly got this hunk of chewed up plastic that can no way cover his teeth even if the ref called him on it. It just looks unprofessional or whatever else.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Robert Thomas does it all the time at well. Probably just one of many bad habits he picked up while staying at the Tkachuk residence as a rookie.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I always had mine out of my mouth or just biting it a bit with most of it out in midget hockey. Refs occassionally tell you to put it in.

Didn’t wear elbow pads in college lacrosse either … got some bone Spurs and chips I’m sure

This was the 90s and I’m sure they are better now but those things sucked for kids. Way too big and boiling didn’t help and you just grow accustomed to not having it in and it becomes your habit

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I just found an old pic of me from many years ago doing this in beer league warm ups. But, during play I would wear it properly. There is just something about them (the bulkier rubber ones) that are uncomfortable, yes even though it was molded to my mouth) and almost gag-inducing when wearing them. When I was playing youth hockey I had to wear one, that was always a pain in the ass to have doddling around your face when it wasn't in your mouth, while it was attached to your cage with the strap.

That said, I switched over to wearing cage and stopped wearing a mouthguard.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad