Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Regarding Jurco...I was jut thinking about him the other day. So, he’s on an AHL deal now and my understanding is that in order for him to play with the Canes he’d need to sign an NHL deal. Is there any sort or deadline for him signing an NHL deal for him to be eligible to play up with CAR during a potential playoff run? Or , is he out of luck after 2/25?

I’m thinking he may be SOL, due to the fact that players eligible for the AHL playoffs had to be “on roster” some time last month, accomplished by CAR by sending Foegele and Maenalanen down in paper transactions prior to the trade deadline, and due to the fact that he didn’t also have an NHL deal by that same time.

And to add, it’s my understanding that Fox, if actually signed to an NHL deal later this month, or any other college prospect/FA signed in March/April, would be eligible for the playoffs...right?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Regarding Jurco...I was jut thinking about him the other day. So, he’s on an AHL deal now and my understanding is that in order for him to play with the Canes he’d need to sign an NHL deal. Is there any sort or deadline for him signing an NHL deal for him to be eligible to play up with CAR during a potential playoff run? Or , is he out of luck after 2/25?

I’m thinking he may be SOL, due to the fact that players eligible for the AHL playoffs had to be “on roster” some time last month, accomplished by CAR by sending Foegele and Maenalanen down in paper transactions prior to the trade deadline, and due to the fact that he didn’t also have an NHL deal by that same time.

And to add, it’s my understanding that Fox, if actually signed to an NHL deal later this month, or any other college prospect/FA signed in March/April, would be eligible for the playoffs...right?
@Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I *think* the situation is such that, as the NHL is concerned, Jurco is an UFA and could be signed by any NHL team if they and Jurco can agree on terms.

Unless there are some kind of AHL rules giving some precedence for the NHL affiliate. Very probably one at least can't ditch in middle of an existing AHL contract to play in some other NHL team's organization (including their AHL affiliate) even if he was given a NHL SPC.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
If that's the case I would assume McBackup is the odd man out just due to durability. If Need is good for 30 games...
Ned has definitely earned a serious look. He has been the best goalie in the AHL for the past 6 weeks.

The question is how much are the Canes committed to making a deep playoff run next season. That answer will influence how much Ned, Bean, Necas, Fox are played. The roles of Williams and both goalies are also open based on the answer.

I would prefer that the Canes commit to the 2020-2024 window. The issue with that is it doesn't take full advantage of Williams' veteran presence. So my second preference is to approach next season like an "all-in" season. Then plan on incorporating Necas and a few others in 20-21 while only losing one year of the window.

I know MSP has argued that carrying three goalies causes multiple problems, but I would be ok starting the season with the two Ms and Ned. If Ned is ready, trading one of Mrazek or McElhinney wouldn't return much, but it would be a decent insurance policy. If Ned is ready, then next season can be a hybrid "all-in"/add extra pieces season.

Obviously, all this changes if the Canes falter down the stretch and the drought hits 10 years. Then there will be little room next season to experiment--making the playoffs will be imperative.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Checkers are good at ice hockey.
My son had tennis practice, so while I was at the facility I watched the AHL Live stream.

Observations:
Bean is looking better every week. His defensive game today was the best I have observed--calm when needed, aggressive when appropriate.

Geekie is also making significant progress. He is moving up into the solid potential group of prospects.

Gauthier made some "wow" plays and looked good on the penalty kill. Still, I have the sense he may never put it all together. Hope I am wrong.

Ned is ready.

Schilky and Poturalski are AHL stars--don't know if either will ever make it in the NHL.
Necas is going to rack up the assists with his skating and passing. But he just doesn't have a high-level shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad