Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What happen with Altshuller?
Looks like he's semi-retired. Didn't play last year and only played 2 games this year. Maybe it's injury related but I haven't seen anything about that. I did find him mentioned in this, a New York Times article of all things, though: The Goalie Is a Hired Gun, and He’s Yours for $50 a Game

It's weird. He basically put up similar numbers to Nedeljkovic has but happened to play for the Checkers at the wrong time in terms of winning games. Not sure what that says about Nedeljkovic that he's similar to guy who has basically flamed out of pro hockey. It's not like Altshuller is much older either, only 2 years older.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Looks like he's semi-retired. Didn't play last year and only played 2 games this year. Maybe it's injury related but I haven't seen anything about that. I did find him mentioned in this, a New York Times article of all things, though: The Goalie Is a Hired Gun, and He’s Yours for $50 a Game

It's weird. He basically put up similar numbers to Nedeljkovic has but happened to play for the Checkers at the wrong time in terms of winning games. Not sure what that says about Nedeljkovic that he's similar to guy who has basically flamed out of pro hockey. It's not like Altshuller is much older either, only 2 years older.
Altshuller looked like he was developing pretty well, definitely looked better than Ned that year and deserved a better shot as the Checkers starter, BUT we kept inexplicably playing a struggling Ned over him. It's like Booth at times this year has looked better than Ned (before his Reading demotion), but instead we kept playing Ned (or Darling) over him and now he's had some struggles (he doesn't look as confident as he did before stopping 28 of 29 for the Checkers only to be sent back to the ECHL days later). The org seems so hellbent on developing Ned and hoping he pans out that I think we've been hurting the development of some of our other goalie prospects.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Altshuller looked like he was developing pretty well, definitely looked better than Ned that year and deserved a better shot as the Checkers starter, BUT we kept inexplicably playing a struggling Ned over him. It's like Booth at times this year has looked better than Ned (before his Reading demotion), but instead we kept playing Ned (or Darling) over him and now he's had some struggles (he doesn't look as confident as he did before stopping 28 of 29 for the Checkers only to be sent back to the ECHL days later). The org seems so hellbent on developing Ned and hoping he pans out that I think we've been hurting the development of some of our other goalie prospects.

Speaking of this, I'm surprised more teams don't load up on european goalies. We've invested so much into Nedeljkovic that we've brushed off everyone else, I sure hope it pays off. Draft a european goalie and you don't have to worry about him fighting for starts with your other goalie prospects, he gets to start in his european league if he plays well. You really have to limit yourself with drafting north american goalies because you can only have one starter to develop in the AHL at a time. You could draft 5 european goalies and they all have a solid chance to develop in a solid league where they get to be a starting goalie, giving you a lot more NHL goalie darts.

Am I crazy for thinking that this is a good strategy? Though doesn't seem like NHL teams have more than 1-2 european goalies at a time.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Checkers played an absolutely great game tonight. Our PP is still @$$ at home (I think we're worst at home), but other than that it was a hard fought game against a dirty team. Officiating was an absolute joke, some of the worst I've seen in a while. One of our guys actually got cross-checked face first into the crossbar and somehow it was only a 2 min penalty (and the refs broke up Bishop and the LV guy before they could really fight). Lots of trips and late hits and cheap interference away from the puck, a couple high elbows. They actually pushed us into the goalie then grabbed our guy by the visor, threw him to the ice, threw a few punches...no penalty. It was a game I actually would have liked Stortini in to help police since the refs didn't care. But we were making some great passes and plays, great defense on a 1:52 5 on 3 PK. Still not a huge fan of Carrick (mostly shin shots and let's guys skate past him or in behind him). Necas, Saarela, and McKeown were all out too, so missing some of our best. Very exciting game, complete 180 from the last few I've seen

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Wonder why they added a goalie?

Between Charlotte and Florida we have Nedeljkovic, Booth and Helvig. Guess Darling definitely isn’t coming back either.

Good to have a veteran backup to Ned for the playoff push. If the Canes make the playoffs they need a 3rd string emergency goalie which probably winds up being Booth w/ Helving and Ned each starting in the playoffs for Florida and Charlotte.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Good to have a veteran backup to Ned for the playoff push. If the Canes make the playoffs they need a 3rd string emergency goalie which probably winds up being Booth w/ Helving and Ned each starting in the playoffs for Florida and Charlotte.

Makes sense. I didn’t think about the canes calling up a third string goalie. Tokarski hasn’t been particularly great this year but he should be good enough behind that team.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
You know Necas collected points through the season with checkers and Zadina have 14 points in last 11 games right? Zadina will make it in preseason, these first 2 games he played was all abou Larkin Mantha and Zadina, and with that dangling he is even better than Larkin already, he was looking really dangerous with the puck on his stick.

Reactions: Identity404

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Maybe because i am interested why he isnt playing in nhl? Maybe because i am Czech and i want to know more about our players?

He started the season in the NHL and looked pretty good with the puck but needed some more development time in the AHL to acclimate to NA ice and improve his play away from the puck. He played on the wing some and seems to be coming along nicely.

I think the reason for him staying in AHL is two-fold:

1. Canes have the best forward depth they've had in years and the team is clicking and on a hot streak; don't mess with what's working.
2. If he doesn't play any more games at the NHL level this year he won't be expansion draft eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad