Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Anyone thinks Necas will stay in Charlotte all year so we don’t have to protect him in the expansion draft?
I've been thinking that for a couple months now. Mind you I figured the season was lost back in December (it still might be) but I have to think that keeping him from having to be protected to keep him away from Seattle is an idea running through managements head if they're going to go 4-4-1

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
If you’re going for the playoffs and you think he will help bring him up. Spoiler alert:... the canes do not make the playoffs. Let him stay in Charlotte and gain confidence and experinace playing pro on American ice. It’s not like he’s too good for the AHL... yes he’s one of the better players, but he’s not running the league.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's not like he can't do both. As long as we make a paper transaction like we did with Fleury last year at the deadline he can get more acclimated to the NHL game, which even if it doesn't lead to playoffs for the Canes it could certainly help us with that goal for next year, and then send him down for the Calder Cup playoffs.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I've been thinking that for a couple months now. Mind you I figured the season was lost back in December (it still might be) but I have to think that keeping him from having to be protected to keep him away from Seattle is an idea running through managements head if they're going to go 4-4-1

4-4-1 makes sense, and keeping him down to save a spot.

Aho, Turbo, Svech, Staal
Slavin, Pesce, CDH, Hamilton

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Canes will have the assets to pay Seattle to lay off their top-4 while also protecting 7 forwards.. Like Anaheim and Minnesota during the last round. Add picks/prospects to an already interesting piece like Fleury.

How great would it be to actually have 7 forwards worth protection...Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov, Staal, Neiderrieter,... ... ... ... slim pickings....maybe Kuokkanen and Gauthier are worth protecting in 2 years, but really, I think getting to 7 roster forwards to actually protect would be an accomplishment in and of itself.

(Assuming Necas will be exempt...)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Staal can voluntarily waive the protection though if he so wants; he'll be allowed to do it for the Expansion Draft purposes only without having to waive the whole NMC for good, and the it would continue to bind the Kraken afterwards if he got picked.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think Eetu signs if only to acclimate himself to the North American game next season

Nov 2018 (in Finnish):

Artturi Lehkonen's dad thinks Eetu is 21-22 months away from NHL (at that time). Needs skating speed, skating stamina, skating skill, defense. When you get the chance, you'll need to get the dressing room's acceptance, and they value guys doing the winning things; and you need to be the coach's pet, not by kissing his ass but by hard athleticism from shift to shift.

Sami Kapanen's KalPa is a great place for a prospect, he's a keen coach doing things and system that benefits the young aspirants, helped Artturi a plenty.

Eetu bought a bottle of Smurf lemonade on the late night bus journey back home, next day Sami brought a transparent mug with twenty lumps of sugar in it to the practice to make a point.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Nov 2018 (in Finnish):

Artturi Lehkonen's dad thinks Eetu is 21-22 months away from NHL (at that time). Needs skating speed, skating stamina, skating skill, defense. When you get the chance, you'll need to get the dressing room's acceptance, and they value guys doing the winning things; and you need to be the coach's pet, not by kissing his ass but by hard athleticism from shift to shift.

Sami Kapanen's KalPa is a great place for a prospect, he's a keen coach doing things and system that benefits the young aspirants, helped Artturi a plenty.

Eetu bought a bottle of Smurf lemonade on the late night bus journey back home, next day Sami brought a transparent mug with twenty lumps of sugar in it to the practice to make a point.

1) I NEED to know what "Smurf lemonade" is (is that street slang for some sort of drug).
2) WHAT IS THE POINT HE WAS TRYING TO MAKE? You can't just say he brought a transparent mug with 20 lumps of sugar to make a point without saying what the point was...we're all just sugar lumps in a glass? Metaphor for humanity?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
1) I NEED to know what "Smurf lemonade" is (is that street slang for some sort of drug).
2) WHAT IS THE POINT HE WAS TRYING TO MAKE? You can't just say he brought a transparent mug with 20 lumps of sugar to make a point without saying what the point was...we're all just sugar lumps in a glass? Metaphor for humanity?
1) pear-flavor thingy to take kids' (parents') money through merchandizing
433px-Smurffi-virvoitusjuomapulloja.jpg

2) plenty sugar not sportsy

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Fluery will score his first NHL goal against us

I wish there was a way to bet on stuff like this.

Anyone thinks Necas will stay in Charlotte all year so we don’t have to protect him in the expansion draft?

No. He may stay there depending on what our forwards look like after the trade deadline, but I don't think the reason for him being/staying in the AHL has anything to do with the expansion draft more than two years away.

The contract negotiations are a two-way road, though. If I as an agent was feeling that my player was unwarrantedly kept down and I was being dwindled out of my own percentage, I would bring it to the team's attention that the unjustly lost money will be sought to be recovered in the following RFA contract.

The teams are really more concerned of the Accrued Seasons for UFA purposes (42+ games) than the 10 game limit, and it also sounds like a bad policy to annoy your expected future superstar by gaming his contract to your own benefit and his harm. Them boys are kind of competitive and proud, and would take it badly if they felt they got snubbed in the call-ups and a lesser guy was recalled instead.

It happens in MLB all. the. time. Talk to Kris Bryant, Rick Porcello, any number of guys who had free agency delayed a season by manipulation of their service time. In an average year there are 183 service days in a major-league season, 162 games and 21 off days. If you accrue 172 days in any season, it is considered a full year. Six full years gets you to free agency. Five years and 171 days does not.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm pinkish pale on the outside, but if squeezed into pulp I assume it'd be reddish.

Then the marketing department would decide if it needs to be artificially altered a bit, and then they would do that.

Further proof that Lempo is the greatest poster on the Canes board, and perhaps HFBoards in general. It is amazing this is your 2nd language (or 3rd/4th?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad