Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hasn’t been that bad outside of the brutal sequences the game he iced the puck for no reason and then deflected in the GWG and last night the lost stick goal. Just logging too many minutes.

We need him this series hopefully he can bounce back tomorrow.

Reactions: JCRO and LSCII

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This place is hilarious. After game one so many of you were ready to plan the parade and build statues of all the players. Fast forward to the next game, and everyone sucks, our best players aren't really good, and Charlie is the reason. Dude had a bad night, but so did everyone on the roster. Shit happens. They were due for a letdown after a long hard fought series vs Toronto and them coasting in game one to an easy win. They came out last night and didn't match FLA's intensity and focus. But you know what? All they had to do was steal one down in FLA and they did. Now they can come home and rebound. FLA has all the pressure on them. They're supposed to win, and Boston embarrassed them in game one. So they came back and showed some pride. Now it's Boston's turn.

Stop being so f***ing bipolar guys, there's a lot of hockey yet to be played in this series, FFS...

I'd humbly suggest you re-read the thread. The current discussion about McAvoy's performance has been going on since G6 of the Toronto series. Can agree or disagree with this or that opinion, but a knee-jerk reaction it is not.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd humbly suggest you re-read the thread. The current discussion about McAvoy's performance has been going on since G6 of the Toronto series. Can agree or disagree with this or that opinion, but a knee-jerk reaction it is not.
Oh wow, it’s been going on for 4 whole games now, so it’s not reactionary bullshit? Pardon my mistake. My bad…LOFL

The kid has played 450ish games in the league and people are throwing those games out because he’s struggled a bit in 4 games. Uh dude, that is abso-f***ing-lutely reactionary bullsihit. Sorry if you don’t want to hear it but some of you supposed fans are acting like childish entitled habs fans, imo. Sad and sickening….

Reactions: CDJ

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Oh wow, it’s been going on for 4 whole games now, so it’s not reactionary bullshit? Pardon my mistake. My bad…LOFL

The kid has played 450ish games in the league and people are throwing those games out because he’s struggled a bit in 4 games. Uh dude, that is abso-f***ing-lately reactionary bullsihit. Sorry if you don’t want to hear it but some of you supposed fans are acting like childish entitled habs fans, imo. Sad and sickening….
I thought he was worse last years playoffs,but to be fair all the defence sucked accept maybe Carlo.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

The kid has played 450ish games in the league and people are throwing those games out because he’s struggled a bit in 4 games. Uh dude, that is abso-f***ing-lutely reactionary bullsihit. Sorry if you don’t want to hear it but some of you supposed fans are acting like childish entitled habs fans, imo. Sad and sickening….

cg9qzscr-1353902186.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I would hope no Bs fan would hate Mac. Kid plays hard.

I just hope he is OK. He seems a bit off of late.

I would hope no Bs fan would hate Mac. Kid plays hard.

I just hope he is OK. He seems a bit off of late.
The 9.5 million dollar question is, why?

Doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't think he's injured, I just think his decision making has been pretty poor.. And that's been the case for a while now.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Aussie Bruins fan: 454<4

Not when one category are regular season games and the other are playoffs. Don't care how good you are in the regular games if you can't deliver when it actually matters.

The 4 most recent games are just a small sample, sure, but this discussion can easily look beyond that. Since Chara left, McAvoy has played in 4 postseasons, including the current one. The first year he was awesome, since then not so much. -5 over the last two years through 16 games. Not horrible by any means, but mixed with some avoidable lapses and errors, it suggests a performance under pressure that's decent enough but a little underwhelming for a 1D.

Disagree? Fine, but the noise around this goes beyond the 4 walls of this thread. End of the day, it's a discussion board, so people, you know, discuss.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not when one category are regular season games and the other are playoffs. Don't care how good you are in the regular games if you can't deliver when it actually matters.

The 4 most recent games are just a small sample, sure, but this discussion can easily look beyond that. Since Chara left, McAvoy has played in 4 postseasons, including the current one. The first year he was awesome, since then not so much. -5 over the last two years through 16 games. Not horrible by any means, but mixed with some avoidable lapses and errors, it suggests a performance under pressure that's decent enough but a little underwhelming for a 1D.

Disagree? Fine, but the noise around this goes beyond the 4 walls of this thread. End of the day, it's a discussion board, so people, you know, discuss.

First off, don’t point to anything that hack Tomase writes as proof of anything. He’s a clown that loves to stir up shit and is always wrong.

Secondly, who’d ever have thought that playing against better competition every other night like you do in the playoffs would result in having worse numbers than he did in regular season? That’s some groundbreaking shit you came up with right there, man. :laugh:

As for discussions, I’m all for it. And here I thought we were having one about your really misguided hot take?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
First off, don’t point to anything that hack Tomase writes as proof of anything. He’s a clown that loves to stir up shit and is always wrong.

Secondly, who’d ever have thought that playing against better competition every other night like you do in the playoffs would result in having worse numbers than he did in regular season? That’s some groundbreaking shit you came up with right there, man. :laugh:

As for discussions, I’m all for it. And here I thought we were having one about your really misguided hot take?

Remember all those posts you used to make criticizing David Krejci for allegedly not playing to his full ability/potential? The last few pages of this thread look remarkably like those. But suddenly you have a problem with it. Funny that...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This place is hilarious. After game one so many of you were ready to plan the parade and build statues of all the players. Fast forward to the next game, and everyone sucks, our best players aren't really good, and Charlie is the reason. Dude had a bad night, but so did everyone on the roster. Shit happens. They were due for a letdown after a long hard fought series vs Toronto and them coasting in game one to an easy win. They came out last night and didn't match FLA's intensity and focus. But you know what? All they had to do was steal one down in FLA and they did. Now they can come home and rebound. FLA has all the pressure on them. They're supposed to win, and Boston embarrassed them in game one. So they came back and showed some pride. Now it's Boston's turn.

Stop being so f***ing bipolar guys, there's a lot of hockey yet to be played in this series, FFS...
voice of reason

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

It's been going on all season.

McAvoy did not have a good year. No question the last 4 games have been even worse.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
McAvoy on PP is just dreadful.
He never outplayed Krug or aging Chara to be the top dog on PP when they were on the team. With the departure of both Krug and Chara the role of PP QB just fell into his lap. Also, it did not help the following season Sweeney assembled a roster full of bottom pair Dmen spread all over the D pairs.

McAvoy's career record is 2 PP goals scored during the Cup run in 2019. In his last 5 years of playoffs he has no PP goal, only 15 assists.
From somebody who is paid $9.5m and gets a ton of ice time on PP1 unit it's just not good enough.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Mac is tied for 4th in the league for hits this playoffs. 6th for blocked shots. So he has had some hiccups in his own zone with the puck, he has been rock solid otherwise.

Reactions: dangermike

EchoNumeral

May 7, 2024
A tough read. When a player is struggling for confidence, I don't think reminding them that they should try to be like Orr, Bourque, and Chara is the answer, nor is it fair.

Charlie has to do the basics right and go from there.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say he has a minor (post-surgery) but long-term left shoulder issue that is exacerbated in the post-season when things get really heavy.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He has always been prone to some bad decision making/risk taking(risk/reward is acceptable to an extent).
This years version seems like he is trying to play faster than he needs to. It could be the pounding that he takes in the playoffs has him hearing footsteps.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A tough read. When a player is struggling for confidence, I don't think reminding them that they should try to be like Orr, Bourque, and Chara is the answer, nor is it fair.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say he has a minor (post-surgery) but long-term left shoulder issue that is exacerbated in the post-season when things get really heavy.

I agree. The point of linking the article wasn't to say I endorse it, although I'd say there are a couple of fair points in there, but to show that the talk around McAvoy's performance is out there in the wider hockey world. Monty's even had to field questions about it, and to his credit he's stood up for his player.

As for the possibility of an injury, it could be true. A lot of Charlie's issues though, to whatever extent they're legit, are more around his decision-making and positioning, which a shoulder or whatever shouldn't really impact too much. Of course if it's playing on his mind that could be detrimental, but at the same time at some level you have to expect him just to battle through. It's the playoffs, so you do whatever it takes and find a way.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Dude is playing tons of minutes. When the offense isn’t clicking, he tries to help there as well. As far as the bad play, MEH. They all have their moments. Because he’s in the ice more than anyone, more things happen with him . Another thing is that teams are going at him due to his physical game. As far as the PP, who’s better to put there?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Hi, Welcome to the board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad