GWT: Champions League - MW4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Unless we're thinking of different plays, he did get ran into from behind. Not enough contact to warrant a penalty (which he also didn't really seem to ask for)

I might have missed it but I didn't see any contact when he went down in the box theatrically. I understand his frustration at what the ref is allowing, but I still hate that Müller-s***

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Depends on the official. It’s not as clear as that.

I mean, intent or not, that type of foul could seriously break a leg. It wasn’t awful, but it’s also tough. I mean if the Jones was automatic, and happens even when he goes over the ball, this kinda would need to be.

I don’t know how you fix this from not being a red or var in this. It for sure looks worse at a slow speed, but I think that’s the bargain you make for more sure results on everything else. I don’t think it’s been a banner few days for VAR, but I’m still in the rather know than just guess camp.
I think the tough part is that he's not even making a challenge. He's shielding the ball and the other player. Most commentators have said it shouldn't be a red because you know that there's absolutely zero malice in it and that type of shielding happens dozens of times a game, this one was just a freak play where the other players foot happened to slide right under yours as you're shielding the ball.

But like you said, when VAR looks at it in slo mo, it's gonna look way worse and those are going to be given way more often than not.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think the tough part is that he's not even making a challenge. He's shielding the ball and the other player. Most commentators have said it shouldn't be a red because you know that there's absolutely zero malice in it and that type of shielding happens dozens of times a game, this one was just a freak play where the other players foot happened to slide right under yours as you're shielding the ball.

But like you said, when VAR looks at it in slo mo, it's gonna look way worse and those are going to be given way more often than not.
Theoretically just a caution for reckless play but then you start getting into interpretation of whether a studs up contact is malicious or not and I don't they generally want to make it that subjective.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
It was going too well. United's best performance of the season (doesn't say much but still) up to the red card.

Handball call was a joke.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Theoretically just a caution for reckless play but then you start getting into interpretation of whether a studs up contact is malicious or not and I don't they generally want to make it that subjective.
Sure, but subjectivity is always involved. As the point was made by multiple people, no one playing the game live was appealing for a red.

The fact that you've got noted Manchester United fans Thierry Henry and Jamie Carragher saying it's never a red and an awful/shocking decision tells you a lot about the quality of VAR taking a challenge the ref had a clear view of from 10 feet away and saying he made a clear and obvious error.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My god the ref in the PSV/Lens game is trying hard to play 12th man for PSV. Yellow cards for nothing (including for being fouled going to the goal) one way while PSV players jump all over the pitch to waste time with the ref's approval. The shithousery is amazing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm shocked Schmeichel didn't like the red on Rashford? No bias there whatsoever. That Rashford challenge is far worse than the Maeda one yesterday that also got a red. Not sure why everyone is complaining about it as it's far worse that one or the Romero one from the Spurs game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm shocked Schmeichel didn't like the red on Rashford? No bias there whatsoever. That Rashford challenge is far worse than the Maeda one yesterday that also got a red. Not sure why everyone is complaining about it as it's far worse that one or the Romero one from the Spurs game.
Do you also think Thierry Henry and Jamie Carragher are super biased in favor of Manchester United?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad