Speculation: Challenge: finding Petry a home

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You might be right, but as I noted I just think people believe he wears some of that blame. In the absence of Price, Weber, he became one of the team's big leaders. They were depending on him to staunch the bleeding. His responsibility on the team ramped up in a big way, and they face planted.

No one would have batted an eye if they took a step back from a Final appearance, in the absence of two of their very best players due to injury (plus Danault's departure in free agency), but all the way down to the bottom? I don't think GMs will dismiss it.
Meh. Mobile, top 4 RD are rare. He'll find a taker.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
That third year is rough and makes me want to pass on him for the Sabres. Good fit short term but in year three we need all the space we can get and it's expensive to dump a deal like that.
Not particularly buyout friendly, either.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Right now, maybe, but this isn't over yet. And I think the Petry's have soured on Montreal, overall. As long as Jeff was thriving and winning, they could deal, but if she wants out and he's looking at an unwanted rebuild, their hearts just aren't into sticking around.
Petrys problem is that I don’t think there is a GM out there who’s heart is into acquiring Jeffs remaining contract obligations.

I think the Habs should waive Petry and hope someone picks him up. Would instantly free up $6.25mm in cap space over 3 years. I think he’d clear waivers though.

But as you’ve said, the return isn’t important, just waive him and cross your fingers it doesn’t go Tyler Johnson style.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
-Detroit isn't the worst possible fit, so we'll see.
-Dallas might take him as a Klingberg replacement, and I'm not expecting Montreal to take a downright bad contract in return
-Nashville for Johansson might make sense, though Dvorak is #3 center, Jake Evans is filling in as #2, but I think he's in over his head. Not sure Montreal would love to add a veteran at this point though. I guess it depends on the draft - if the Habs get a high-end center prospect, they'll want to keep #2 center open, if they get a winger/D, then getting someone to fill the role in the medium-term makes sense. The Habs have enough veterans on overly fat contracts though.
Detroit is a lousy fit and seems to have no interest in this marriage. Nor should they.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As kind of stated above:

Buffalo makes a ton of sense here. Geographically, it should be appealing to Petry. Buffalo has a large need for a veteran RHD to pair with Power (or Dahlin, frankly).

Acquisition cost wouldn't be prohibitive for Buffalo.....and Buffalo has a mega-ton of cap space it needs to use.

Frankly, it fits well for all parties.
Just trade for Erik Johnson instead. He’s only got the last year of his deal. So a rental to play with Power.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Think Petry stays with the habs...he signed a 3 year contract and then suddenly wanted to leave? Seems like a lot of that has to do with Ducharme. He looks happier under MSL.
Good point , i think he is a lot more happier now

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Petry for 2nd pick
Honestly at 6.25mil he is not that expensive if you compare guy's like PK or Suter

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Marino is youngish and could fit into the rebuild, he's in the same age range as guys like Evans.

Zucker would be a 1-year boost up front until we move him and Byron next deadline, after giving a few kids a season in the AHL.
Petry won't fetch us massive value, unless we get a hefty salary in return and I think for a rebuilding team, cap flexibility is a must.
I would say the odds of the Pens trading Marino for Petry are about 0% on the high end and 0% on the low end. Marino is younger, makes less and is already playing top 4 for the Pens and they will need more RHD not a straight up swap.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Nope, no retention for 3 full season on Petry.
Not sure what value will be if that's the case, 2nd and a 3rd? Two 2nds? Doesn't hurt to hold one more year and see if he has a better go of it. Maybe get a great deal at next year's deadline

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Not sure what value will be if that's the case, 2nd and a 3rd? Two 2nds? Doesn't hurt to hold one more year and see if he has a better go of it. Maybe get a great deal at next year's deadline
Long-term deals don't get moved at the deadline.
2nd and 3d would fine. I expect Habs will take a contract in return, though, so it'll look different.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
There will be a bidding war for Petry in the off-season. Lots of teams will want him to shore up their right side. He's such a good D-man and on a sweetheart deal. But he has a NTC of some sort, I believe. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
There will be a bidding war for Petry in the off-season. Lots of teams will want him to shore up their right side. He's such a good D-man and on a sweetheart deal. But he has a NTC of some sort, I believe. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.
If so, everyone who wrote he won't fetch anything will eat crow.

And if it's a significant return, so will I, since I was good with an offer of a 2nd rounder.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I really don’t see any team going in a bidding war for a 35 yrs Dmen with 3 others contract and who was awful this season

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I really don’t see any team going in a bidding war for a 35 yrs Dmen with 3 others contract and who was awful this season
It seems like recency bias. Last year teams are drooling over Petry and one bad month and he's worthless? He had a bad start of the year but he's been better since. Everyone has looked bad in Montreal at times this year but a top 4 RHD with Petry's pedigree on what is probably a bargain contract seems like something lots of teams would want. At 6.25 he can slot into the 2-3 role where he thrives, and he only has 3 seasons left so it's not like the 6-8 year deals teams need to shell out for guys like Lindholm. But we'll see. Personally I don't mind keeping him because he'll be a stable dman to pair with someone younger. But it seems he wants out and I wouldn't be surprised if he returns something like what the Habs got for Toffoli.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It seems like recency bias. Last year teams are drooling over Petry and one bad month and he's worthless? He had a bad start of the year but he's been better since. Everyone has looked bad in Montreal at times this year but a top 4 RHD with Petry's pedigree on what is probably a bargain contract seems like something lots of teams would want. At 6.25 he can slot into the 2-3 role where he thrives, and he only has 3 seasons left so it's not like the 6-8 year deals teams need to shell out for guys like Lindholm. But we'll see. Personally I don't mind keeping him because he'll be a stable dman to pair with someone younger. But it seems he wants out and I wouldn't be surprised if he returns something like what the Habs got for Toffoli.
It's not only 1 month, he was bad all year long except the first 5 games with MSL and it's not like If he was 30 and a bad year can happen. Usually Dmen are starting to slow down at Petry age so GM will clearly consider that. Just look at the return that Dmen with term and at Petry age usually get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad