Speculation: Challenge: finding Petry a home

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
For that, he'd need to have injury issues. He doesn't.
giphy.gif

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
92 giveaways (leads league), 8 takeaways. He would be a Pariah in Buffalo to the Sabres fans suggesting they trade for him. People already complain about Eakins brutal giveaways and he's only credited with 20 on the season, with 22 takeaways.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Could see PIT adding slightly to swap Pettersson for him or just straight up doing Zucker for him.
Marino, Pettersson or Zucker could make plenty of sense as center-pieces for a return from Pittsburgh. I won't lie and say I know any of them well enough to gauge what makes sense. That being said, Zucker would mean the Habs could (again) try and cash in at the trade deadline next year, or Marino would be a decent fit in the rebuild.

Reactions: banks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
92 giveaways (leads league), 8 takeaways. He would be a Pariah in Buffalo to the Sabres fans suggesting they trade for him. People already complain about Eakins brutal giveaways and he's only credited with 20 on the season, with 22 takeaways.

His giveaway totals aren't new. He's an offensive-slanted defenseman, that's who you see the majority of those credited to. Based on his current totals, he's also lead the Sabres defense in hits, be tops among current blueliners in blocked shots, third by a smidge behind Byrson and Dahlin in xGAR or third in GAR behind Miller or Bryson.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Marino, Pettersson or Zucker could make plenty of sense as center-pieces for a return from Pittsburgh. I won't lie and say I know any of them well enough to gauge what makes sense. That being said, Zucker would mean the Habs could (again) try and cash in at the trade deadline next year, or Marino would be a decent fit in the rebuild.
None of those guys are of any use to Montreal and ceratinly not centre pieces.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
As kind of stated above:

Buffalo makes a ton of sense here. Geographically, it should be appealing to Petry. Buffalo has a large need for a veteran RHD to pair with Power (or Dahlin, frankly).

Acquisition cost wouldn't be prohibitive for Buffalo.....and Buffalo has a mega-ton of cap space it needs to use.

Frankly, it fits well for all parties.
Didn't really think about the Sabres as an option. I don't think Hughes would settle for a 2nd as he has said many times that he's not going to sell players when their value is at their lowest.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well, I tried not to discuss return too much since that's when it usually gets ugly. Just looking at logical destinations is interesting on its own.
That being said, posters who have reservations based on Petry's contract do have a point, and it will affect his trade value. While I'd be selling low for a 2nd, if we can move him while taking back zero salary commitment, that cap room becomes an asset. Just like we didn't get a massive return for Toffoli, but we got zero contractual obligations, either.

Reactions: John B

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Well, I tried not to discuss return too much since that's when it usually gets ugly. Just looking at logical destinations is interesting on its own.
That being said, posters who have reservations based on Petry's contract do have a point, and it will affect his trade value. While I'd be selling low for a 2nd, if we can move him while taking back zero salary commitment, that cap room becomes an asset. Just like we didn't get a massive return for Toffoli, but we got zero contractual obligations, either.

As a long time Sabres fan, I sincerely hope Adams wants nothing to do with Petry and that contract, despite a few Sabres fans on these boards thinking it might somehow work out well,

Value aside, Petry is not at all what the Sabres need, but the ask for the 13th overal pick from last years draft and a 2nd is just plain crazytown.

Reactions: John B and teddygmr

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
As a long time Sabres fan, I sincerely hope Adams wants nothing to do with Petry and that contract, despite a few Sabres fans on these boards thinking it might somehow work out well,

Value aside, Petry is not at all what the Sabres need, but the ask for the 13th overal pick from last years draft and a 2nd is just plain crazytown.
I agree on that ask being too high. I wouldn't be surprised if Petry went for a lesser, younger player, and maybe a pick, but nothing like 1st round value.

Reactions: Irie

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't see the Habs retaining at all.
30% is just insane, for 3 full seasons. There's no way that can work for Montreal without massive hockey assets returning the other way.
I think you're probably exactly right. The most likely scenario for me, trade request or no trade request, is that he remains a Hab. If he demands an explanation then they simply have to tell him the truth: No one wants him and his contract until he plays his way out of the hole he's in.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Marino is youngish and could fit into the rebuild, he's in the same age range as guys like Evans.

Zucker would be a 1-year boost up front until we move him and Byron next deadline, after giving a few kids a season in the AHL.
Petry won't fetch us massive value, unless we get a hefty salary in return and I think for a rebuilding team, cap flexibility is a must.

Reactions: John B and banks

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think you're probably exactly right. The most likely scenario for me, trade request or no trade request, is that he remains a Hab. If he demands an explanation then they simply have to tell him the truth: No one wants him and his contract until he plays his way out of the hole he's in.
Possible. But I think he still holds some value, he'd get a similar contract as a UFA, though perhaps not from a team he'd particularly want to go to. You'll note I'd be good with a 2nd rounder to unload his contract, and while I expect Kent Hughes to get more than I could, it won't be a household name, for sure.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Possible. But I think he still holds some value, he'd get a similar contract as a UFA, though perhaps not from a team he'd particularly want to go to. You'll note I'd be good with a 2nd rounder to unload his contract, and while I expect Kent Hughes to get more than I could, it won't be a household name, for sure.
He certainly would have been in line for that contract after his strong, deep playoff run. This season douses that enthusiasm with cold water, I think.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Petry (30% retained) along with MTL3 and ANA3 to Arizona for Andrew Ladd would work.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He certainly would have been in line for that contract after his strong, deep playoff run. This season douses that enthusiasm with cold water, I think.
I think you're overstating it's importance, since it's been a season from hell for the whole team, I think in large part because of a too-short summer.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Petry (30% retained) along with MTL3 and ANA3 to Arizona for Andrew Ladd would work.
Why the hell would Montreal do that? Might as well keep him. Or even losing him on waivers would be better than that.

Reactions: banks

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think you're overstating it's importance, since it's been a season from hell for the whole team, I think in large part because of a too-short summer.
You might be right, but as I noted I just think people believe he wears some of that blame. In the absence of Price, Weber, he became one of the team's big leaders. They were depending on him to staunch the bleeding. His responsibility on the team ramped up in a big way, and they face planted.

No one would have batted an eye if they took a step back from a Final appearance, in the absence of two of their very best players due to injury (plus Danault's departure in free agency), but all the way down to the bottom? I don't think GMs will dismiss it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad