Speculation: Challenge: finding Petry a home

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The sad reality is that hockey players that drop off at 34+ rarely recover form.

Add the fact that Petry is still owed 20 of the 25 million real dollars on his contract, and I can't see anyone taking on that gamble.

The risk is just too great with limited upside, especially while revenues are still down.
In this case though, family reasons were clearly involved. His mobility is still just great.

Maybe after his 3M signing bonus is paid this summer he'll be easier to move.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Don’t see the fit in Detroit at all. Take them off the list.

Dallas make sense, do they have a similar dubious contract to Petrys to send back to the Habs? Winnipeg makes sense but he’s not going there.

What about seeing if Nashville would swap him for Ryan Johansson? Same remaining 3 years of term. That makes them a decent fit. Saves the Preds $1.75mm per. Habs get younger 2C better than Dvorak.
Nashville- can’t see there being interest. We moved our oldest rhd ellis (who is younger than petry) so we can get younger at rhd and let carrier and Fabbro take over the top 4. I think they’ve done well with the trust given to them so I can’t see us wanting to get even older with petry

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
4 year deal.
And it's largely because his family (wife and kids) returned to Detroit to get out from the more intense protective measures in Quebec, and who knows when Covid restrictions will be 100% lifted forever...
The difference between the current restrictions and 100% is marginal for almost everyone.

She can live life as she normally would.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The difference between the current restrictions and 100% is marginal for almost everyone.

She can live life as she normally would.
Right now, maybe, but this isn't over yet. And I think the Petry's have soured on Montreal, overall. As long as Jeff was thriving and winning, they could deal, but if she wants out and he's looking at an unwanted rebuild, their hearts just aren't into sticking around.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
In this case though, family reasons were clearly involved. His mobility is still just great.

Maybe after his 3M signing bonus is paid this summer he'll be easier to move.
I don't see 17 million actual dollars for 3 years as much easier to move.

Like I said, the upside is limited while the risk is huge.

People see Burns, Suter, Giordano and Chelios as reasons to believe that many players can play into their late 30s+, when in reality, 95+ percent of NHL defensmen are toast at 35.

The guys that play at an elevated level into their late 30s are physical anomalies. Other than reading that Petry did pilates once, I don't think he subscribes to the Gary Roberts fitness regiment, but I admit that I do not know the specifics there.

There is a much greater than average chance that his next three seasons will be filled with steady decline, and at that salary hit it could be cap crushing.

Reactions: teddygmr

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
With retention in the range of $2M, I think there's interest. At his full freight, that cap hit plus the remaining term plus this year's performance really saps this asset of value. He has to wear his share of the responsibility for the team's falloff this year.

I don't think there's interest at his full cap hit. If they retain about 30 percent, that probably changes.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Devils have a pretty big need at RHD with Subban going after this year. After Hamilton , we have Severson and… that’s about it on the right side. We have very limited prospects on the right side as well. We have Walsh and …. Walsh . Juke Hughes has been playif the right side in Michigan but I am not sure how comfortable the Devils will be having a rookie play on his off side. (If anyone can though , it would be Hughes and his elite skating ability ) .
Severson has one year after this then is a UFA . That could potentially leave us with 1 NHL RHD.
I would love Petry but the cap hit woild not make sense if we sign Severson . Way too much cap % in RHD then. If we knew what will happen with Serverson , I would like to see if the Devils might look at acquiring Petry ?
don't touch this

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
With retention in the range of $2M, I think there's interest. At his full freight, that cap hit plus the remaining term plus this year's performance really saps this asset of value. He has to wear his share of the responsibility for the team's falloff this year.

I don't think there's interest at his full cap hit. If they retain about 30 percent, that probably changes.
I don't see the Habs retaining at all.
30% is just insane, for 3 full seasons. There's no way that can work for Montreal without massive hockey assets returning the other way.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
You arent getting anything of value back.

I have no idea why many think this. A smart GM would be all over Petry. Good Dmen are very rare/valuable and many keep playing well in their thirties.

Sure, he was not great this year but the whole Habs team sucked this year with Ducharme. Besides Weber, he prob was our most valuable skater the year before.

Reactions: pth2

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There was heavy rumors of White being shipped to MTL but apparently trade didnt materialize last second. Also, Ottawa was scouting MTL a lot with Dorion being in person a couple games.

I think:

White + Zaitsev for Petry could be a thing.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
That third year is rough and makes me want to pass on him for the Sabres. Good fit short term but in year three we need all the space we can get and it's expensive to dump a deal like that.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A Philly deal is complicated by needing to take a significant contract in return.

Chuck will bend over and make it work for yas. He aims to please.

Jokes aside I did hear a rumor that Petry would not waive for Philly

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
There was heavy rumors of White being shipped to MTL but apparently trade didnt materialize last second. Also, Ottawa was scouting MTL a lot with Dorion being in person a couple games.

I think:

White + Zaitsev for Petry could be a thing.
Given that Petry wants out of Canada, this won't work.

I'd considered Petry for White, myself, so I get it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As I said, I don't think return is critical, finding the right destination is hard enough as such.
And I'm not expecting retention over 3 full seasons. Teams only have 3 total, and right now the Habs used all 3 on their trade deadline rentals.

I cant see teams taking on a 34 year old at 6.25/year for another three seasons. Thats a good chunk of change and the cap doesn't seem to be going up by much until 2024 at the earliest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad