Proposal: CGY Kadri for CAR Kotkaniemi+

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Haha not sure how I confused Calgary and Kadri. I don't think Kadri can be a 2C on a cup winning team anymore. Its not 2022 anymore, and he fit really well into the avalanche system in a way I don't think he would fit in Carolina.

Just my .02 cents.
He just had one of his best seasons ever. How many teams have a 2C better than Kadri? Would love to see your list.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
He just had one of his best seasons ever. How many teams have a 2C better than Kadri? Would love to see your list.
Just in his division statistically Edmonton and Vancouver had better 2Cs last year. Now you want the Canes to acquire him and compete with Barkov/Verhaeghe, Point/Stamkos, Crosby/Malkin, Hughes/Hischier, Zib/Trocheck.

Carolina does this if its a sure thing. Not if it has the possibility of making them still a middling threat from the 2C after the trade with the added risk he looks old pretty quickly in a couple years.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hurricanes don't operate like other teams. Most teams see next year as 2x as important as 3, 4, 5 years from now. The Canes operate as if every future year is equally important, for the most part. The only splashy short-term deadline acquisition they have made under this management is Guentzel. Most other guys they prefer with term who are in their 20s and most productive years. The only players they have sought after with term in the late 30s includes:

Brent Burns (a physical freak of nature)
Jaccob Slavin (the best defenseman in franchise history)
Jordan Staal (plays a low event defensive game, who will probably age decently well)

Kadri would for sure break the mold; I just don't think the front office would touch that contract. If he didn't have that term, he'd be a much more sought after player for the Hurricanes.
The idea of turning Kotkaniemi's caphit into Kadri's doesn't really break a mold. It's essentially turning Kotkaniemi's potential into Kadri's immediate production. There's still a longterm investment that Carolina has already made.

I get the concept that Canes fans anticipate that there will be a re-tool period after losing some depth this summer. But I'm not sure their ownership is throwing in the towel just yet. I could still see them looking at that net $2.18m/yr investment in Kadri as one that could have a positive impact for their team on the ice.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I get the concept that Canes fans anticipate that there will be a re-tool period after losing some depth this summer. But I'm not sure their ownership is throwing in the towel just yet. I could still see them looking at that net $2.18m/yr investment in Kadri as one that could have a positive impact for their team on the ice.
Best I can tell, no Canes' fan thinks they are throwing in the towel, even with a bit of a retool. What most feel is that they are still a playoff team, but much less likely to compete for a division title.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Canes will not take on that contract. He hasn’t ever played in our system and will be on decline. Canes don’t care about next year as much as the next 4. Canes can easily get out of kk’s deal. Kadri’s deal isn’t easily moveable. It doesn’t make sense for the canes without a burns like deal.

Ledge And Dairy

Just in his division statistically Edmonton and Vancouver had better 2Cs last year. Now you want the Canes to acquire him and compete with Barkov/Verhaeghe, Point/Stamkos, Crosby/Malkin, Hughes/Hischier, Zib/Trocheck.

Carolina does this if its a sure thing. Not if it has the possibility of making them still a middling threat from the 2C after the trade with the added risk he looks old pretty quickly in a couple years.
Verhaeghe doesn't play center and Stamkos has played primarily on the wing for like 5 years now, he's also not even if Tampa anymore. Florida's 2C is Bennett and Tampa's is still Cirelli. Kadri is strictly better offensively than both, he is also at worst on par with Trocheck.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Verhaeghe doesn't play center and Stamkos has played primarily on the wing for like 5 years now, he's also not even if Tampa anymore. Florida's 2C is Bennett and Tampa's is still Cirelli. Kadri is strictly better offensively than both, he is also at worst on par with Trocheck.
Bennett, Trocheck, and Hischier are younger and had better PPG efficiency in their ice time last season. They are only getting better, and to make a move for Kadri only for him to have a high chance of making them a middling threat at 2C and looking old at the end of the contract just doesn't seem to make sense.

Ledge And Dairy

Bennett, Trocheck, and Hischier are younger and had better PPG efficiency in their ice time last season. They are only getting better, and to make a move for Kadri only for him to have a high chance of making them a middling threat at 2C and looking old at the end of the contract just doesn't seem to make sense.
Huh? Bennett had 41 points in 68 games. That's a 49 point pace. How is that even remotely close to 75 points?
Hischier and Trocheck both played with players who were either a ppg or over a ppg. In Trocheck's case he played with a 120 point Panarin and Hischier paced 77 points playing with a ppg Bratt and a 1.2ppg guy in Hughes. That's not even factoring in that Kadri didn't show up for the first 9 games of the season

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Kadri was 15th in C scoring last year. 3 or 4 of the guys ahead of him were arguably more wingers than Cs. He also played the majority of the season with two rookies in Pospisil and Zary.

Lots of clueless takes in this thread.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Kadri was 15th in C scoring last year. 3 or 4 of the guys ahead of him were arguably more wingers than Cs. He also played the majority of the season with two rookies in Pospisil and Zary.

Lots of clueless takes in this thread.

It's the Flames on HF, I'd wager MAYBE 5 people have watched Kadri as a Flame outside of Flames fans the past couple years. Everyone is just talking out of there ass, they can't even use stats correct because as has been pointed out, the guy is putting up points.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Kadri is a beast, KK is useless and a big cap dumb.
People saying one vs one is ridiculus.
Yes Kadri is 33 years old but still kicking Hard.
Probably be KK + a first 2025 for Kadri .
If Carolina wants to go far in the playoff that's the kind of trade they have to make.
Carolina center line sucks, they sure need a Kadri.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Kadri is a beast, KK is useless and a big cap dumb.
People saying one vs one is ridiculus.
Yes Kadri is 33 years old but still kicking Hard.
Probably be KK + a first 2025 for Kadri .
If Carolina wants to go far in the playoff that's the kind of trade they have to make.
Carolina center line sucks, they sure need a Kadri.
Yea, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad