Proposal: CGY Kadri for CAR Kotkaniemi+

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Kadri just had 75 points and is one of the best two way centers in the league. Proven cup winning veteran. Wtf are you talking about a buy out for? Some players can play longer. He's literally currently out performing it. Caps shooting up. Even if he is only a 30 point guy his last year that's fine when he's been as good as he's been thus far. You don't know how he's gonna look.
That's a huge stretch. Kadri has always been way overrated defensively. I think its because he's gritty and people get the two confused.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Kotkaniemi getting traded to Calgary makes sense, since they need youth and can give him ice time and see if he can find that next step, and Carolina likely prefers trading him to buying him out, just for the optics of it all.

Kadri to Carolina is a much tougher sell, since they like value contracts and Kadri, while a very good player, isn't on a "value" contract and will be overpaid before that contract is over.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
How is Kadri's contract a problem?

We have 20M in cap space. We're 1.3M above the floor. His contract isn't a problem. I'm not moving Kadri for Kotkaniemi. We have terrible center depth and you need some players to insulate young guys. I'd want a 1st minimum to move Kadri. If that isn't out there I'm not moving him.

I'd move him because at one point you're going to be stucked with him

Sell him for whatever, and weaponize that cap hit to the max

I'd sign mercenaries to one year / two years contracts, tell them to do their best, and promise them to try to trade them to contenders

Kadri:
1- Hurt your tank
2- Too much terms for too much money; at one point you'll end your rebuild, and he'll still be there

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I'd sign mercenaries to one year / two years contracts, tell them to do their best, and promise them to try to trade them to contenders

Kadri:
1- Hurt your tank
2- Too much terms for too much money; at one point you'll end your rebuild, and he'll still be there
I see value in Kadri helping along our young players and insulating them from top competition. Same with Backlund. If we're talking a 1st round pick or equivalent prospect it makes up for that value. If we're talking a crappy player like Kotkaniemi making almost as much money then it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ledge And Dairy

There are other players that are good that won't handcuff the team as much as Kadri will.
There were a total of 9 players that had the same or more production than Kadri last season while also having lower AAV's than him. 2 of which have already gotten big raises as of July 1st in Nylander and Reinhart. 2 others road shotgun to McDrai in Bouchard and Hyman and 1 road shotgun to Panarin in Trocheck. Kempe, Hagel, Kreider, Nyqvist all had the exact same production as Kadri, but only Kempe like Kadri lead his team in scoring.

So in terms of production per cost Kadri sat near the top of the league. If that is considered a "handcuff" then 95% of players in the league are considered handcuffs to their team

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
There were a total of 9 players that had the same or more production than Kadri last season while also having lower AAV's than him. 2 of which have already gotten big raises as of July 1st in Nylander and Reinhart. 2 others road shotgun to McDrai in Bouchard and Hyman and 1 road shotgun to Panarin in Trocheck. Kempe, Hagel, Kreider, Nyqvist all had the exact same production as Kadri, but only Kempe like Kadri lead his team in scoring.

So in terms of production per cost Kadri sat near the top of the league. If that is considered a "handcuff" then 95% of players in the league are considered handcuffs to their team
The real question is how many of those players (with similar or better production) are 34 and have contracts until they are 39.

Kadri can be a good player now while still being a problematic contract to acquire.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Kadri:
1- Hurt your tank

We're not stuck with him now. His buyout today is 1.9M over the next 5 years. Calgary can easily manage that through the rebuild and into the first stages of building a playoff contender.

The Flames currently sit with just over 20M in cap space. They have plenty to weaponize if the opportunity presents itself.

There is plenty of cap space to still do that and Kadri can fill that role and be traded to a contender if he really wants to go. He's still a good player and we have nobody now or in the immediate future that needs to be paid that much.

He doesn't hurt the tank because the kids still need someone to play with and last season Zary and Pospisil played very well with him as their center and we still got a top 10 pick. With Markstrom gone that should be top 5 easily.

Whenever he doesn't fit anymore he can be bought out if we can't find a trade that makes sense. It's a maximum of 2.33M per year if he is bought out in the last 2 years of his contract and is a bit less for the next couple of years. Getting rid of him is easy if we have to go that route.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I have interest in Kotkaniemi, but not for Kadri. Naz is a guy I'd want playing with Kotkaniemi and helping him. I think something around Kotkaniemi and Backlund or Coleman would make more sense.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Kotkaniemi getting traded to Calgary makes sense, since they need youth and can give him ice time and see if he can find that next step, and Carolina likely prefers trading him to buying him out, just for the optics of it all.

Kadri to Carolina is a much tougher sell, since they like value contracts and Kadri, while a very good player, isn't on a "value" contract and will be overpaid before that contract is over.
7 Million for Kadri is absolutely a value contract.

To put this in perspective, the last 3 seasons he has outscored Nick Suzuki. Suzuki makes more. Is Suzuki overpaid?

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
7 Million for Kadri is absolutely a value contract.

To put this in perspective, the last 3 seasons he has outscored Nick Suzuki. Suzuki makes more. Is Suzuki overpaid?

He didn't outscore Suzuki the last 2 seasons. And last year was Suzuki's 1st year on his new deal.

But yeah 7 million for what Kadri is doing right now isn't bad.

Any playoff team would like to have him this year and next, but none of those would realistically like to acquire him at rhis point because he's almost 34 and still have 5 seasons left on his contract.

Sucks that he's wasting his last few good years on a non playoffs team. Leafs should have kept this guy.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
He didn't outscore Suzuki the last 2 seasons. And last year was Suzuki's 1st year on his new deal.

But yeah 7 million for what Kadri is doing right now isn't bad.

Any playoff team would like to have him this year and next, but none of those would realistically like to acquire him at rhis point because he's almost 34 and still have 5 seasons left on his contract.

Sucks that he's wasting his last few good years on a non playoffs team. Leafs should have kept this guy.
He has outscored him by 14 points in less games over the last 3 seasons. Everything I said was true.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
If we play our cards right, we could get another full day of juice out of both this and the Chytil threads. We wouldn't even have to play them perfectly, just better than Calgary played theirs when they signed Nazem Kadri to that horrible contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
If we play our cards right, we could get another full day of juice out of both this and the Chytil threads. We wouldn't even have to play them perfectly, just better than Calgary played theirs when they signed Nazem Kadri to that horrible contract.
He just got paid 7 million to score 75 points. What is horrible about it?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He has outscored him by 14 points in less games over the last 3 seasons. Everything I said was true.
It may be true, but it's not relevant to go three years back when comparing contracts, since Suzuki's contract hadn't even begun.

Besides, I don't think anyone has an issue with what Kadri did in the last seasons, but the uncertainty regarding his future level due to his age.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
It may be true, but it's not relevant to go three years back when comparing contracts, since Suzuki's contract hadn't even begun.

Besides, I don't think anyone has an issue with what Kadri did in the last seasons, but the uncertainty regarding his future level due to his age.
Hes 33....

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
That's precisely the point.
He is 33 and just had his 2nd most productive season. His best was 31.... it's not a bad contract at all.

Zibanejad is 31, has an AAV 1.5 million higher, and finished behind Kadri in goals and points.

He scored more than Kevin Fiala who has a higher AAV.

But yes. It's "terrible"

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
"Cherey" pick? Okay lol.

Suzuki made more than Kadri in 2 of those seasons.

Cherry picked because you had to include the season from 3 years ago to make it work. Like I said, if you look at last 2 seasons, Suzuki outscored Kadri both and goals and points.

You are right for the contract though, I was sure Suzuki's contract kicked in last year but it was 2 seasons ago.

In any case, I agree with your initial point that Kadri's contract is valuable since he signed it and he is not overpaid. He wpuld have signed for a lot more if he were younger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We're not stuck with him now. His buyout today is 1.9M over the next 5 years. Calgary can easily manage that through the rebuild and into the first stages of building a playoff contender.

Well, if you talk buyout, that kind of means you are stuck with him because other teams are looking at that age 34-39 years left and have very little interest. Any trade that happens, means a equal contract is coming back.

Sure, you can buy him out if you have too. That doesn't help his trade value though

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
This is 100% the Canes bailing Calgary out of a contract they’d love to move. I like Kadri, it’s a shame that’s his contract. KK is a decade younger and still can be a tolerably overpaid bottom six player who has potential for more. The Flames immediately save 2 million of cap space a season even if they keep KK, and can buy him out cheap for two more years.

So we bail you out of your presumably unmoveable contract….and we add to do it?

We have time to do something with KK if we don’t want him anymore. We don’t need to be bailed out.
Why would the Flames want to move Kadri? They're nowhere near the cap and won't be for the forseeable future. If anything, they'll be struggling to stay near the floor. They want vets like Kadri around to help the younger players they're inevitably going to be playing.

Reactions: Kahvi

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Why would the Flames want to move Kadri? They're nowhere near the cap and won't be for the forseeable future. If anything, they'll be struggling to stay near the floor. They want vets like Kadri around to help the younger players they're inevitably going to be playing.

If they need room, which probably isn't the case.
Also if they want to get some assets for him, as he still has positive value (I think...) now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00