Proposal: CGY Kadri for CAR Kotkaniemi+

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Burns is half retained my friend.

That’s what Canes aim for, value. They don’t always get it but that’s the goal. They would never trade for a 34 year old with years left at 7 million. That’s bad value. They had faith Burns had enough in the tank to be a 3 year fix at 1RD. The Canes are in an obvious reset after losing so many free agents.

We don’t want Kadri, he doesn’t fit what the Canes do. Especially not heavily retained. You may get one more good year out of Kadri, you may get none. Us trading Calgary a 24 year old that can be bought out for cheap only helps Calgary out of this contract. It gives the Canes the contract Calgary is trying to get rid of. Kadri isn’t worth the risk of that contract.
What's that? Losing in the second round? Lol. His contract doesn't have negative value. Your player does though.

I would do this, if I was Carolina. KK is a bust and his contract is going to be an anchor even in years 6, but I think there's a small chance that Kadri is still going to be good value in his last year. And the improvement on year one and 2 is absolutely massive.
Only people that don't think this is a good deal for Carolina are Carolina fans. All the neutral fans actually watch other teams I guess.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Calgary doesn't have the brightest future, and gets much younger here.
Carolina is in 'win now' mode and gets the much better player.

I get it from that perspective for sure - but Kotkaniemi is coming off a season where he only put up 27 points in a full season, and makes 4.820 for 6 more years. Calgary can do way better if they decide they want to move Kadri.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Lol that's an unbelievable deal for Carolina. Kotkaniemi might have the worst contract in hockey. He's brutal. Major negative asset. He's a borderline nhl player. Kadri while old is still a very good player. His contract could be bad but for now it's actually good. Unlike your teams player.

Would need to be a big add by carolina.

I would do this, if I was Carolina. KK is a bust and his contract is going to be an anchor even in years 6, but I think there's a small chance that Kadri is still going to be good value in his last year. And the improvement on year one and 2 is absolutely massive.

If Carolina had an issue with KK and his contract, they can buy him out for 870k. Using his contract or his play as a reason to trade him for Kadri, and take on a contract that’s much harder to get rid of, makes zero sense from Carolina’s POV.

And as already stated multiple times, would go completely against Carolina’s MO when it comes to aging players on expensive contracts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
KK is a guy I'd like to see the Canes move on from, but I just don't see Dundon buying him out. I think they'd rather move him in a trade than buying him out.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Lol that's an unbelievable deal for Carolina. Kotkaniemi might have the worst contract in hockey. He's brutal. Major negative asset. He's a borderline nhl player. Kadri while old is still a very good player. His contract could be bad but for now it's actually good. Unlike your teams player.

Would need to be a big add by carolina.
Lol, no. Kk can’t be the worst deal in hockey with a buyout so cheap. Huberdeau easily takes the worse deal in the league with second place way behind him.

Kadri’s deal is really bad carrying him through 38 at 7 million, a buyout hit of 2.33 and an almost untradeable last 2 years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Carolina had an issue with KK and his contract, they can buy him out for 870k. Using his contract or his play as a reason to trade him for Kadri, and take on a contract that’s much harder to get rid of, makes zero sense from Carolina’s POV.

And as already stated multiple times, would go completely against Carolina’s MO when it comes to aging players on expensive contracts.
How can you say a player that should be bought out is a better contract than a player that is currently out performing his. Are you serious?... feel like I'm living in a bizarre world world where logic isn't being used and everything is backwards.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

How can you say a player that should be bought out is an easier contract than a player that is currently out performing his. Are you serious?... feel like I'm living in a bizarre w9rld world where logic isn't being used and eve
Lol, no. Kk can’t be the worst deal in hockey with a buyout so cheap. Huberdeau easily takes the worse deal in the league with second place way behind him.

Kadri’s deal is really bad carrying him through 38 at 7 million, a buyout hit of 2.33 and an almost untradeable last 2 years.
Huberdeau's is only worse because of the1 third buy out for kotkaniemi. Atleast he can actually contribute. Maybe he finds his game. Kotka sucks and always has.

Kadri just had 75 points and is one of the best two way centers in the league. Proven cup winning veteran. Wtf are you talking about a buy out for? Some players can play longer. He's literally currently out performing it. Caps shooting up. Even if he is only a 30 point guy his last year that's fine when he's been as good as he's been thus far. You don't know how he's gonna look.

I'm a sens fan. I'd trade Norris + in a second for him.

The entire premise of your poor argument doesn't make sense. He's actually good.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
How can you say a player that should be bought out is a better contract than a player that is currently out performing his. Are you serious?... feel like I'm living in a bizarre world world where logic isn't being used and everything is backwards.

Because one only costs the team 870k, while the other costs the team $7 million. Which one allows more flexibility for the rest of the roster?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
How can you say a player that should be bought out is an easier contract than a player that is currently out performing his. Are you serious?... feel like I'm living in a bizarre w9rld world where logic isn't being used and eve

Huberdeau's is only worse because of the1 third buy out for kotkaniemi. Atleast he can actually contribute. Maybe he finds his game. Kotka sucks and always has.

Kadri just had 75 points and is one of the best two way centers in the league. Proven cup winning veteran. Wtf are you talking about a buy out for? Some players can play longer. He's literally currently out performing it. Caps shooting up. Even if he is only a 30 point guy his last year that's fine when he's been as good as he's been thus far. You don't know how he's gonna look.

I'm a sens fan. I'd trade Norris + in a second for him.

The entire premise of your poor argument doesn't make sense. He's actually good.
So i now know you are just arguing for arguing sakes.

10.5 million per until 38 and 52 point production is three times worse than a 4.85 million contract carrying a guy until 29 with 20-40 point production.

You may be the only person trying to argue the opposite

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because one only costs the team 870k, while the other costs the team $7 million. Which one allows more flexibility for the rest of the roster?
Kadri is good. Thats the part you keep omitting. He makes your team better.

So i now know you are just arguing for arguing sakes.

10.5 million per until 38 and 52 point production is three times worse than a 4.85 million contract carrying a guy until 29 with 20-40 point production.

You may be the only person trying to argue the opposite
Huberdeau also has shown he is capable of being good. We know Kotkaniemi is bad all the time and never been a good player. Neither is a good contract. Kotkaniemi being able to buy out at 1/3rd makes Huberdeaus worse I agree. I said that in the post you quoted.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Kadri is good. Thats the part you keep omitting. He makes your team better.

Huberdeau also has shown he is capable of being good. We know Kotkaniemi is bad all the time and never been a good player. Neither is a good contract. Kotkaniemi being able to buy out at 1/3rd makes Huberdeaus worse I agree. I said that in the post you quoted.
Hub being worse has nothing to do with KK’s buyout. Its just worse in its structure, cost, and his age by a good margin

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nah, you go ahead and keep Kadri. We're good.
We'll take Aho. Give you guys some good cap flexibility. We can send back a half dozen league min players for him. Really open up some space. NHL GMs are smarter than this. Kadri had multiple offers higher than the one he signed in Calgary BTW. He said so himself.

Guys like Huberdeau and Kotkaniemi are contracts that hurt you. Guys like Kadri and Aho make good money because they help you win.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We'll take Aho. Give you guys some good cap flexibility. We can send back a half dozen league min players for him. Really open up some space. NHL GMs are smarter than this. Kadri had multiple offers higher than the one he signed in Calgary BTW. He said so himself.

Guys like Huberdeau and Kotkaniemi are contracts that hurt you. Guys like Kadri and Aho make good money because they help you win.

And if KK's contract hurts us, we buy him out for $870k. If Kadri's contract hurts us, say he regresses greatly coming over to Carolina or simply reverts back to his 22-23 season, well, then he's much harder to get rid of.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
And if KK's contract hurts us, we buy him out for $870k. If Kadri's contract hurts us, say he regresses greatly coming over to Carolina or simply reverts back to his 22-23 season, well, then he's much harder to get rid of.
Why would you want to buy out your 2nd best forward only making 7M per year? You might have to pay Necas that much or more and he isn't half the player Kadri is. Kadi's 22-23 season is basically the best you could hope for from Necas.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
And as I've said in This thread this thread this is probably more of a mid season deal if at all. If we're half way through the season and Kadri is sitting at .85 ppg or better on a bottom feeding tea. Like Calgary then it's far more likely his first year with the Flames was simply a new contract slump and the anomaly.

Kadri's performance last year was undoubtedly above his current cap hit. That isn't up for debate. Outside of the first 9 games of the season (where he just didn't look like he was trying) nothing in his game points to him regressing due to age any time soon.
Kadri has 2 years in his entire career that are anything close to a PPG: last year and his final contract season on a high scoring Colorado team. Every other year he’s scored at a meh 2C rate. The anomaly isn’t Kadri scoring 55ish points, the anomaly is Kadri scoring anything close to PPG.

If you want to bet on those anomalies carrying through to his 34-38 year old seasons then that is your business. Personally I think it’s a very foolish bet.

Again, market value does not exist in a vacuum and is not determined solely by production. In the real world a player’s market value is determined by a lot of different factors including age, term, player track record, reputation, etc.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kadri's last 5 years, he's scored at a 26G, 69P per 82 games
Kadri's last 3 years, he's scored at a 28G, 76P per 82 games

KK's last 3 years, he's scored at 15G, 36P per 82 games.

KK isn't even in the same ballpark as Kadri right now. Even when Kadri was KK's age, his 3 year average was 23G, 55P per 82 games.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don’t know why people keep putting Huberdeau and Kadri in trade proposals, they are not going any where and that is fine.

The Flames need to stay above the cap floor, while they rebuild and the 2 contracts for these two help, also they can used as veteran presence.

Huberdeau and Kadri are finishing their contracts with the Flames and most likely Weegar.

Backlund, Coleman, Anderrson and other vets can be traded.
Came here to say this and while Kafri is old and the cliff will happen the Canes would benefit from having a guy like him playoff time as they have underperformed in the playoffs and their window while open is still problematic with talented teams that seem to missing something.

Reactions: viper0220

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Kadri is leagues better than Kotkaniemi, but at this point, Calgary wants to tank, and having that contract (Kadri's) is a problem

So yeah, Calgary do it 100% IMO

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kadri is leagues better than Kotkaniemi, but at this point, Calgary wants to tank, and having that contract (Kadri's) is a problem

So yeah, Calgary do it 100% IMO
We have 20M in cap space. We're 1.3M above the floor. His contract isn't a problem. I'm not moving Kadri for Kotkaniemi. We have terrible center depth and you need some players to insulate young guys. I'd want a 1st minimum to move Kadri. If that isn't out there I'm not moving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00