Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Juuso Valimaki signs extension with the Flames (2 years, $1.55M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
If moved, there was a mention of a basis of Valimaki and Zadina that seemed intriguing.

It would reunite Valimaki with Rasmussen. I assume Calgary adds, but if the concept is even plausible, the basis of discussion was definitely intriguing.

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He'll be fine. His development has been a worst case scenario with injuries early on and then Covid. I trust that Sutter knows what's best for him, he needs to get games in, work on his skills and confidence and work his way into the lineup. A year ago people were saying that Kylington done and busted. Defenceman sometime take awhile to develop fully. I still think he has top 4 potential, we haven't seen his best by a long shot.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
He won't play in Calgary, that's for sure. He will be traded by TDL, as he has himself said there is nothing more he can learn in AHL and NHL is the only logical step. And he wont't get that with Sutter.

He's not a superstar though, so they'll probably add him into some other bigger trade.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He won't play in Calgary, that's for sure. He will be traded by TDL, as he has himself said there is nothing more he can learn in AHL and NHL is the only logical step. And he wont't get that with Sutter.

He's not a superstar though, so they'll probably add him into some other bigger trade.
Not saying you are wrong but I missed this, where did he say that?

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Not saying you are wrong but I missed this, where did he say that?
I'll try to find it. It was in one Finnish interview a while ago.

Edit:
Here, from 2 days ago:
Upeasti NHL:ssä aloittaneen suomalaispuolustajan ura kääntyi karusti päälaelleen – Juuso Välimäki ihmettelee saamaansa kohtelua

One quote:
– Haluan NHL:ään ja kuuluisin sinne. Tämä ei ole pelillisesti paikka, jossa minun kuuluisi olla, Välimäki sanoo.
– Asioita täytyy katsoa positiivisesti. Tuli NHL:ssä istuskeltua pari kuukautta, niin tuntuuhan se kivalta täällä saada pelata paljon ja sellaista lätkää, jota itse tykkään pelata.
Translated by me:
- I want to be in NHL and I think I would belong there. Gameplay-wise, this [Stockton] is not the place I should be in, Välimäki says.
- You have to look at it positively. I sat on the bench for a few months in NHL, so it does feel nice to get to play a lot here [Stockton] and the kind of hockey that I enjoy myself.

It's a lengthy interview with more background and general feelings from him, but that's the specific quote.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I think Treliving would rather have him playing than Kylington, but Kylington forced his hand with his hot start. I still see Valimaki as part of the future.
Fixed that for you.

Sutter doesn't seem keen on Valimaki in the slightest. Treliving on the other hand, considers Valimaki his golden boy. Wouldn't trade him for Mark Stone, gifted him a spot when he didn't deserve it and overpaid him on this current contract. Unless Valimaki forces his hand with a trade request, it's more likely Treliving trades Kylington.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I'll try to find it. It was in one Finnish interview a while ago.

Edit:
Here, from 2 days ago:
Upeasti NHL:ssä aloittaneen suomalaispuolustajan ura kääntyi karusti päälaelleen – Juuso Välimäki ihmettelee saamaansa kohtelua

One quote:

Translated by me:

It's a lengthy interview with more background and general feelings from him, but that's the specific quote.
I appreciate you following up your post with some facts but I don't see there where he says he has nothing else to learn in the AHL, he want's to graduate like any other prospect.
Love the player and I think he will be a top 4 dman for the Flames in the next 2 years (hopefully).

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
I appreciate you following up your post with some facts but I don't see there where he says he has nothing else to learn in the AHL, he want's to graduate like any other prospect.
Love the player and I think he will be a top 4 dman for the Flames in the next 2 years (hopefully).
This. Also, in the same interview, he specifically says something like "of course when you train well and play 25 minutes a game your individual skills develop".

Ledge And Dairy

I see that Valimaki is now playing for Stockton. I assume Sutter is not a fan of him. What are his chances to grab a spot back?
Pretty high next year. He struggled with gap control so he was benched for Zadorov. Because he was benched he never got any games in and just sat in the press box so he could never really learn. Finally someone looked into him and realized and posted on twitter that because he missed an entire season to injury he didn't actually burn a waiver exemption year, soon after that he was sent down. Calgary management will never admit they botched that but we all know they did.

He's doing good in Stockton, whats important is that he is actually playing games. He probably steps into the lineup next year since Big Z wont be brought back

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If moved, there was a mention of a basis of Valimaki and Zadina that seemed intriguing.

It would reunite Valimaki with Rasmussen. I assume Calgary adds, but if the concept is even plausible, the basis of discussion was definitely intriguing.

As a Detroit fan I would be interested in that. I think both players could use a change of scenary and could still develop into effective NHLers.

Reactions: Figgy44

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Lots of time to develop him, Covid and injuries derailed him and when he was in the Flames lineup it looked more like a confidence issue then anything else. He's doing well in Stockton and wouldn't hurt him to spend the rest of the year down there. No need to rush him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He'll get a shot next year. No chance Zadorov sticks around. He'll probably be on a pairing with Giordano

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Actually at the end of interview he does give a reason to think he will ask for trade if things go like they do.
It is clear he does not like Sutter, think he was treated baddly.
Worst is he actually seems to be right.
He says he did not get any reasons etc., from staff. No played delelopement just dog house.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames will be looking to shed salary for next year. They cannot afford to have Zadarov making $3.75 million at the number 5 spot. Zadarov was really only brought in, as no one knew that Kylington would be a legit top 4 this quickly. Valimaki in a #4/5 role will be perfect for the Flames next year. Obviously he won't hit as hard as Zadarov, but he'll be cost controlled and bring more offence.

I think the Flames will try to retain at least one of Backlund/Monahan and potentially even add to the offence. Zadarov looks like an obvious cut and Valimaki like an obvious replacement.

If the team wants to stay competitive that likely means a combined $18 million or so for Tkachuk/Gaudreau. They need to find another $4.24 million in cap space somewhere.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I will be shocked if he isn't on the Flames next season. He just needs to play games. Too much time away with injuries. He just needed consistent ice time to develop, and playing in bigger situations is obviously going to help him as well. Could he be traded next season? Sure, he could.. but I would be shocked. I think Sutter actually likes him, and I take what Sutter said about him at face value - just needs to play more. Valimaki is going to be a big piece for the Flames on their blue line in the near future, but Gudbranson and Zadorov are giving the Flames a better chance to win now. I actually see a lot of movement on their blue line this off-season, and Valimaki will be taking a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad