Waived: [CGY] Ilya Solovyov waived by the Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Solo will be an NHL defenseman, but hes not a regular yet. Better to play lots of minutes in the AHL vs limited NHL minutes. I think Hanley gets the Stone treatment on the roster, which I think he would be fine with. Barrie isnt needed but it wouldnt shock me for the Flames to sign him and not roll too many new defensemen in front of young goalies. Dont agree with it but it is what it is.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
lol I always love the overreactions to players getting waived. Ruzicka and Phillips were sure fire top 6 guys. Even Valimaki didn’t hurt that much.

I mean I'd love to have Valimaki back right now. That was a huge blunder.

Ruzicka I'm guessing they knew he was partying to much

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
lol I always love the overreactions to players getting waived. Ruzicka and Phillips were sure fire top 6 guys. Even Valimaki didn’t hurt that much.
I'm the only person that seems to care, and usually I don't give a shit when guys are waived and I'm teh voice of reason. I am VERY high on Solo and for a rebuilding team to potentially toss him away for nothing in favor of plugs like Tinordi and Hanley is just plain stupid in my opinion. He's been a stabilizing presence for the Wranglers the last 2 years and is essentially a Belarusian Tanev in the making and has great rapport and communication with Wolf.

Reactions: KOS21

Ledge And Dairy

Solo is a 6/7 right now with occasional flashes of more. But those flashes are just that, flashes. Unless he goes to the AHL to develop those flashes to be more of an occasional or semi frequent occurrence at the NHL level, I agree that many teams have a guy like that.

IMO both you and @Lunatik are correct, but Solo is sitting solidly in between both your opinions. Solo is at a calibre most other teams have, but Solo has also shown occasional flashes of potential that other players at that calibre don't really show. Clear upgrade wise, I agree he is not that on the Flames, but the Flames also have so many more guys that are 6/7 calibre right now. Solo could potentially be a clear upgrade on another team's bottom pairing, so I can see why Luna is concerned.

Even if we lose Solo, we have similar style guys in Kuznetsov, Grushnikov, Hurtig, Jurmo etc. But none quite at the clear 6/7 level as Solo and none have sorta shown something extra at the big club level like Solo occasionally has. I kinda understand the logic of developing Solo so he returns as a 4/5 calibre guy and maybe a solid #4. But I totally get the concerns on risk and I feel like he won't be able to accomplish that on limited minutes at the NHL level.

Others might not be worried even if such a calibre of player is claimed, but IMO I'd rather not lose Solo.
Bad last night... 1 game sample sizes aren't evidence of anything besides a lack of a legitimate argument.

I've watched the kid play more than 200 professional games. He's better now than plugs like Tinordi who only have NHL jobs to get punched in the face. He's much better than you are giving him credit for.
Again I do see the potential. For example he did make a couple really nice passes last night but overall his game was quite poor. It will take him time to reach that potential but I do think he has low end #4, high end #5 potential. Brenden Dillon may be a good example; strong defensively, commanding presence physically, but not much in terms of offense, ideally a 3rd pair guy on a contender but can absolutely play 2nd pair minutes if he needs to.

I think Solo will eventually be a regular NHLer but the teams that would take him to bet on his future generally have their own similar caliber and style prospects (ie Anaheim has Vaakanainen and LaCombe). And the teams that are up against the cap and competing aren't exactly in the market for potential 2-3 years down the line to add to their top 7. They are looking for surefire guys who they know can step in and play (ie Mike Reilly getting claimed last year). I definitely don't want to lose him to waivers either but I just find it quite unlikely he is claimed. Even if he is he will probably be replaced on waivers again and we can just take him back and send him directly to the minors.

Tinordi is trash and he should not make the Flames roster, I am not debating that. There is a reason he is called Tank Commander Tinordi. However someone like Hanley can sit out for a month and just slide into a game at any point and still be fairly effective. You never have to worry about stinting his development. That is what is nice about a plug.

As of right now we really don't know the situation with Bahl and bean but it is a pretty safe bet that Barrie will get signed. I think it's safe to say all of Weegar, Andersson, Miromanov, and Pachal have made the final cut too. I would also say Grushnikov and Brzustewicz have outperformed Solovyov so far this preseason. So if we are keeping anyone up while players are injured it should be of those 2 specifically.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I would also say Grushnikov and Brzustewicz have outperformed Solovyov so far this preseason. So if we are keeping anyone up while players are injured it should be of those 2 specifically.
A big difference is waivers and the risk of giving the player away. That's the whole point. Literally potentially giving away a young asset. Sure, if he clears it's probably better he's in the AHL than in teh press box... but being in the press box is better than playing for another team. Like I said elsewhere in this thread, I see him as a Tanev in the making, that's the style of game he plays and is very effective at it. This preseason he was clearly trying to add more of a physical element to his game. I'm fairly confident he'll be snatched. My guess is Philly grabs him,

Ledge And Dairy

A big difference is waivers and the risk of giving the player away. That's the whole point. Literally potentially giving away a young asset. Sure, if he clears it's probably better he's in the AHL than in teh press box... but being in the press box is better than playing for another team. Like I said elsewhere in this thread, I see him as a Tanev in the making, that's the style of game he plays and is very effective at it. This preseason he was clearly trying to add more of a physical element to his game. I'm fairly confident he'll be snatched. My guess is Philly grabs him,
You decided to just look at the smallest part of my response and go with that. Grush and Brzustewics are going to end up back in the AHL. That's pretty much guaranteed if and once everyone's healthy. However if there is an injury to start the year we don't have to worry about waivers or a claim once the season actually begins. We have 6 guys who are pretty much guaranteed to make the team already and Solovyov's performance so far in the preseason indicates he still has things to work on, thus the AHL is a logical place for him. Again Solovyov has to not only be claimed by another team but then not be placed back on waivers afterwards or we more than likely just get him back and in the AHL automatically. By placing him on waivers now we will know the answer to that well in advance to the season starting.

I think you vastly need to lower your expectations if Tanev is your comparable. Tanev is a very rare player, someone so reliable defensively that despite his lack of offense he easily makes up for it and is justified playing a top 4 role on almost any team. There are only a few others in the league like that. Adam Pelech, Hampus Lindholm, Brett Pesce, Colton Parayko, Gustov Forsling, Alex Vlasic, Marc-Eduard Vlasic back in the was like that too.

Why would Philly claim him? Torts would 100% cut him, he always cuts rookies until they prove they deserve a spot. Philly has Sanheim, York, Seeler, Drysdale, Zamula, Risto, and EJ already too

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Reading this thread you’d think he’s some young prospect oozing potential. He’s a 24 year old who is still at the tweener level of play. People are complaining about us waiving him for players like Barrie, Hanley, or Tinordi, but he’s a 24 year old who just got outplayed by Barrie, Hanley, and Tinordi. That’s a PTO, a waiver claim, and a guy signed to play in the AHL this year. This isn’t a “vets always get an inside track” situation, he’s a player who’s not that young anymore who just lost to multiple other fringe NHLers.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
I saw how many comments there were in the thread and I thought "crap, there really is some interest in Solovyov..."

It turns out it just a bunch of Flames fans haha

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
People are complaining about us waiving him for players like Barrie, Hanley, or Tinordi, but he’s a 24 year old who just got outplayed by Barrie, Hanley, and Tinordi.
Except he didn't. All 3 of those were/are utter trash; the only thing any of them are good for is the tank.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
You decided to just look at the smallest part of my response and go with that. Grush and Brzustewics are going to end up back in the AHL. That's pretty much guaranteed if and once everyone's healthy. However if there is an injury to start the year we don't have to worry about waivers or a claim once the season actually begins. We have 6 guys who are pretty much guaranteed to make the team already and Solovyov's performance so far in the preseason indicates he still has things to work on, thus the AHL is a logical place for him. Again Solovyov has to not only be claimed by another team but then not be placed back on waivers afterwards or we more than likely just get him back and in the AHL automatically. By placing him on waivers now we will know the answer to that well in advance to the season starting.

I think you vastly need to lower your expectations if Tanev is your comparable. Tanev is a very rare player, someone so reliable defensively that despite his lack of offense he easily makes up for it and is justified playing a top 4 role on almost any team. There are only a few others in the league like that. Adam Pelech, Hampus Lindholm, Brett Pesce, Colton Parayko, Gustov Forsling, Alex Vlasic, Marc-Eduard Vlasic back in the was like that too.

Why would Philly claim him? Torts would 100% cut him, he always cuts rookies until they prove they deserve a spot. Philly has Sanheim, York, Seeler, Drysdale, Zamula, Risto, and EJ already too
Let's put it this way. I don't give a f*** about your opinion on Solovyov. That should have been painfully clear already. We having differing opinions, so be it. I hope you're right and he clears and that I'm right about his future.

Ledge And Dairy

Let's put it this way. I don't give a f*** about your opinion on Solovyov. That should have been painfully clear already. We having differing opinions, so be it. I hope you're right and he clears and that I'm right about his future.
I really don't think we do have that different of opinions on him though. We both see him as a future NHLer. The difference is your projection is one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league (Tanev), and mine is probably more realistic (Dillon). Regardless you end up with a solid hockey player. I just don't think he's proven anywhere close to good enough to warrant a waiver claim right now and would benefit from some more time in the minors. And even if he does get claimed the odds of him not being replaced on waivers by the claimer are still pretty high considering the Flames kind of have one of the worst blue lines in the league this year. Look at Ottawa last year, they placed both Lassi Thompson and Jacob Bernard-Docker on waivers last year. Thompson got claimed by Anaheim and then 8 days later Ottawa got him back.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Woah motherf***er chill. :cold:

I hope the Flyers claim Solovyov as you predicted. Then will say Lunatik was right all along what was Ledge and the others thinking. :laugh:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Having watched many of his AHL games I'm a fan of Solo, but this is not really surprising. He hasn't had a great camp and his likely ceiling is a solid 3rd pairing PK shot blocking physical type.

He was the 12th rated prospect in the system by our board this summer. Good AHL level defenseman are not really in high demand unless another team sees something they really like. Doubt he gets claimed and should play a top pairing role for the Wranglers this season. Could see him wearing a letter too.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Solo will clear waivers. IMHO he's just not an NHL grade dman at the present. Needs more AHL seasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad